Richie Foran away as well?

Libero

Caley Thistle captain Richie Foran hints at summer departure

“I’ll review my situation next week and see what I want to do. I don’t want to be sitting on the bench all of next season, so I’ll have to speak to the manager and the board and see where we’re going. Personally it’s disappointing but for the club, it’s been an OK season,” he said.

“I won’t be calling it a day – I have another year on my contract. I’m not getting any younger but I want to keep playing. I believe I’m fit enough and strong enough and have enough quality to play in this division.

“I’ll have to have a chat with the manager and see where I am in that department. I’ll also have a word with the chairman and the board to see if it would be possible to get out (of the contract) a year early, if that is the way I’m going to go. There’s a lot to talk about next week.

Doesn't sound like a happy place to be at the moment. 

The board are saying to Yogi we want our business done before the summer, Yogi saying he doesn't have the resources to get players in and players leaving left, right and centre. I'm not one for hitting the panic button but things sound like a shambles at the moment

I know football is renowned for highs and lows but what a turnaround from last season!

The board need to either come out and tell Yogi to get on with it and stop bad-mouthing the club in the press or they need to move onto a manager who can sign players within our budget.

• Agree 1

I'm not sure how to look at this, bit of mixed feelings but logically if RF left, from a playing point of view, would it be a huge loss or as big a loss as it may be portrayed? He has had horendous luck with injuries over the last two seasons and not featured much, he is probably one of our highest earners and is taking up a place in the squad that someone else could potentially fill. He certainly isn't getting any younger ..........

Been touted as future coach/manager but what credentials does he have?

On the other hand his experience around the club is surely invaluable and as an ambassador for the club in his role as captain I'm sure he's displayed excellent qualities.

If he stayed I would be happy, if he left he'd go with my thanks for what he has done during his time at the club but I certainly wouldn't be downheartened from a playing perspective.

What is obvious is that from a clubs prespective it's not good that a player of his standing and experience wants to potentially leave but if it's from purely a playing point of view then fair enough and you can't argue with it. If it's for deeper underlying reasons then that's a different story.

If Richie Foran is wanting to leave the club then things are definitely not well at the club in my opinion. I always thought that the plan was for him to take the reigns, clearly not now then. 

• Agree 4

Where is it documented that Foran is the highest earner at the club? 

It would be a shame to see him go but we've not really missed him over the last couple of seasons have we? Whilst it's always sad to see a club icon move on retaining someone like Storey over Foran is what we've got to look to do. If he is one of the higher earners, and I'm sure he is, his wages would be far better spent on a Storey or getting Mckay back i.e. a player not at the end of his career. 

• Agree 4

Would be a shame to see him go, but where exactly do we play him? We can't break up the the Draper and Tansey partnership, and you wouldn't put him with them in a 3 man midfield because they're all defensively minded. I wouldn't mind seeing in him rotated in the first team, he's a solid CM and is brilliant in the air as well as being a great motivator, but can we afford to keep a player on high wages in a squad rotation system? Probably not. 

As stated above, we might be better off spending are money on attacking players. 

• Agree 2

Let him go!

Been a drain on our very limited resources for last two years.

It would appear his contribution has been his motivational chat - very nice if you can affort it, but we can't.

So let us use the freed-up money to buy real on-the-field players!

• Agree 1
  • Disagree 1

Ten days ago Yogi said Foran had a 'prominent role to play next season' Here. Now Foran seems to have the impression that he won't be used much and would in that case would rather go.  This is also after about 18 months of talk of Foran eventually taking over including some quotes from Yogi saying he'd be willing to stand aside if Foran wanted the job.  This is just weird and once again suggests that things behind the scenes are less than rosy at the moment.

• Agree 1

20 minutes ago, AlexJones said:

Would certainly keep him on a low baseline wage with a "pay as you play" proviso to top it up.

He is contracted for next season on a full salary so would be unlikely to agree to such an arrangement going into the last season or two of his career. However, the suggestion he wants to leave is just the latest in a series of indications that all is not well behind the scenes.

• Agree 2

Agree with Kingsmills - this sounds like a cry for help rather than a genuine desire to leave, unless he's got something up his sleeve, which seems unlikely given his injuries. This raises the question: If RF were to want to reach a "mutual agreement" and leave for free, should the club accept? For me, yes. He's been a fantastic player for us, but his injuries and age make him a liability now. Harsh, but these are the realities of modern football.

• Agree 2

Just a thought......but why not be managerial assistant to the ICT manager , whether it be for JH or A.N.Other.For at least one or two more seasons.

Invaluable assistant but he would still be young enough , perhaps, to play a game for another club thereafter?

And why not play a game or two if needed for ICT? His experience and leadership could hardly go amiss now could it ?

Because Yogi's preferred assistant who is under conrtact is Brian Rice, who I would assume is seen as having a proven track record as well as a personal friend to Hughes - so unlikely he would want to sack him to make space for someone. Foran has been out injured long enough to have worked along side, done his badges and try take more control, whether he has done this I don't know, but from my observations on matchday Esson is more involved on the touchline and out of the dugout etc than Foran ever is - maybe its a case that Foran hasn't taken the opportunities given, doesn't have the mindset or isn't deemed good enough by those at the club with more knowledge and insight than us?

As for Foran's leadership he has been a bit part player for 2 years with Shinnie & Warren demonstrating plenty qualities to take over the captains role, as a club ambassador while liked by the fans and perhaps the board he has had negative press about his off-field activities. Given his age, salary and contribution if he wants to go then the board should consider it and use the cash wisely to extend deals or replace.

Edited by bdu98196
  • Agree 2

Richie Foran knows his legs are gone, I think deep down he knows he's going to have to go out on loan next season if he wants first team action guaranteed

Elgin City would be an option and I've heard from a reliable source that they are interested

Dougal

3 hours ago, dougal said:

Richie Foran knows his legs are gone, I think deep down he knows he's going to have to go out on loan next season if he wants first team action guaranteed

Elgin City would be an option and I've heard from a reliable source that they are interested

Dougal

Before he got injured, he was playing really well just in front of the defence - positional sense and organisational ability can substitute for pace there.

That said, Draper has been excellent playing the same position - not sure you would want to move him.