Renegade

Hughes away?

Recommended Posts

Real shame if Hughes was to leave, but the board have made it clear that they have backed him financially more so than any other manager. It's been clear for months now that the manager and the board have a strained relationship, which isn't something we're used to. At the end of the day we have lost some very good players, and replacing them with players of a similar level of quality would be out of our price range. We have to bring in relatively unproven players and train them up, we've been hugely successful at doing that throughout our history. The problem with the board is that they let players go for free or for a small price. If all of the players we have lost over the last three years had been on longer contracts and we'd sold them for a fee, we'd be in a much healthier financial position by now. 

Hopefully this gets sorted in the next couple of days and I'm keeping my fingers crossed that Hughes stays and is allowed to sign some key players. It may be too late, and the bridges might already have been burned. 

  • Agree 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 minutes ago, lightwelter said:

Real shame if Hughes was to leave, but the board have made it clear that they have backed him financially more so than any other manager. It's been clear for months now that the manager and the board have a strained relationship, which isn't something we're used to. At the end of the day we have lost some very good players, and replacing them with players of a similar level of quality would be out of our price range. We have to bring in relatively unproven players and train them up, we've been hugely successful at doing that throughout our history. The problem with the board is that they let players go for free or for a small price. If all of the players we have lost over the last three years had been on longer contracts and we'd sold them for a fee, we'd be in a much healthier financial position by now. 

Hopefully this gets sorted in the next couple of days and I'm keeping my fingers crossed that Hughes stays and is allowed to sign some key players. It may be too late, and the bridges might already have been burned. 

Is it not part of a managers job to get contracts sorted out?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Adding more fuel to the 'spat' fire, after the match on Saturday, i was standing at the tunnel when yogi came out to do his post match radio stuff. Someone asked him "you signing up Miles for next year" his response, in tru Hughes style was, word for word, "it should've been done three ******* weeks ago, mun" another clear swipe at the board. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
53 minutes ago, ictfcsince94 said:

Adding more fuel to the 'spat' fire, after the match on Saturday, i was standing at the tunnel when yogi came out to do his post match radio stuff. Someone asked him "you signing up Miles for next year" his response, in tru Hughes style was, word for word, "it should've been done three ******* weeks ago, mun" another clear swipe at the board. 

Seems legit.

 

  • Agree 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

If true then Yogi doesnt understand football either it seems, which is a worry. Offers can be made to any player but if that player or his agent wants to hold out for alternative offers then thats it - you cant force them to sign, if under contract they will run it down, if out of contract they will walk away to elsewhere. The board only have a limitied budget, the manager can only offer so much i terms of the team and ambitions but ultimately its down to the player and agent.

I've little insight into the club other than a Sat afternoon but when we offer deals to players from down south who have to relocate, do we also need to offer accomodation be it a flat or house and any other expenses in addition to the salary? We know its hard to get players up here due to the preception of the area and geography/transport links so I'd hope the club does all this to make like easy for any targets - but it all costs and if we do have to offer these 'extras' then that reduces the budget for wages.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Also had a brief chat with Miles, asked him if he was staying; he was very non-committal and said "I'd like to, but we'll see what happens"... Well, we've seen what happened! 

Spoke to Roberts too, and told him to get his extension signed and he looked at me like I was crazy, so he's clearly not been offered anything, by the time we get round to doing that, he'll have 'more attractive' offers on the table, just hopefully not from aberdire or cunty.

When I said to Tansey "now, dinna be going to Aberdeen" he said "nah, no way"....I'm not holding my breath!

credit to the club and players, the openness and approachability after the game on Saturday was brilliant for the kids! The wee lass was overjoyed, got her top signed by pretty much all of the first team and some other bits and pieces from the players. Sadly missed out on Dave the Raves pants though.....you couldn't make it up! There are young lads in Inverness with signed Raven pants......

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Probably nonsense, but I see someone on P&B is saying that Hughes got an official warning from the club a couple of weeks ago after referring to Kenny Cameron by a less than complimentary name...

Would certainly explain why KC didn't thank Yogi in his post-match speech.

Edited by Renegade
  • Agree 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, RiG said:

Is it not part of a managers job to get contracts sorted out?

I'm sure it's a decision made between the manager and the board, but I'm sure KC will have a big input in terms of the lengths of the contracts as he came out recently and spoke about their intentions to sign players more long term. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, lightwelter said:

I'm sure it's a decision made between the manager and the board, but I'm sure KC will have a big input in terms of the lengths of the contracts as he came out recently and spoke about their intentions to sign players more long term. 

Then it's a pity he didn't put that intention into practice months and months ago. Under Hughes we have morphed into Ross County as the second most successful team in the Highlands and pitifully few players tied to long term deals. That is bad enough for a single season but wholly unacceptable longer term.

  • Disagree 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I might be in the minority but I believe Hughes has improved the team. Ok we can be a very frustrating team to watch at times but we do look a far better footballing team under Hughes than we did under Butcher.

I don't think Hughes is the problem. His single mindedness with our style of play with what appears at times to be no plan B or C in place to break teams down can be annoying but I think the bigger problem lies within the management of the club and the behind the scenes decision making (or more the lack of). Personally I think Butcher ran the show during his tenure and Hughes is struggling with not being able to get the same response. 

I for one would be sorry to see Hughes go as I believe if he can get the right type of player in I think he can take us forward. Unfortunately it looks at present like there will be too many pieces of the jigsaw missing and he might indeed walk if he does not get more support within the club with what he wants to achieve.

  • Agree 4
  • Disagree 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
59 minutes ago, Tichy_Blacks_Back said:

I might be in the minority but I believe Hughes has improved the team. Ok we can be a very frustrating team to watch at times but we do look a far better footballing team under Hughes than we did under Butcher.

I don't think Hughes is the problem. His single mindedness with our style of play with what appears at times to be no plan B or C in place to break teams down can be annoying but I think the bigger problem lies within the management of the club and the behind the scenes decision making (or more the lack of). Personally I think Butcher ran the show during his tenure and Hughes is struggling with not being able to get the same response. 

I for one would be sorry to see Hughes go as I believe if he can get the right type of player in I think he can take us forward. Unfortunately it looks at present like there will be too many pieces of the jigsaw missing and he might indeed walk if he does not get more support within the club with what he wants to achieve.

Good post TBB. I agree entirely.

  • Agree 1
  • Disagree 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Tichy_Blacks_Back said:

I might be in the minority but I believe Hughes has improved the team. Ok we can be a very frustrating team to watch at times but we do look a far better footballing team under Hughes than we did under Butcher.

I don't think Hughes is the problem. His single mindedness with our style of play with what appears at times to be no plan B or C in place to break teams down can be annoying but I think the bigger problem lies within the management of the club and the behind the scenes decision making (or more the lack of). Personally I think Butcher ran the show during his tenure and Hughes is struggling with not being able to get the same response. 

I for one would be sorry to see Hughes go as I believe if he can get the right type of player in I think he can take us forward. Unfortunately it looks at present like there will be too many pieces of the jigsaw missing and he might indeed walk if he does not get more support within the club with what he wants to achieve.

Without a doubt, the team of last season did improve individually under the influence of John Hughes and Russell Latapy.

The season just gone by has been a total abomination from the start. The fact that we signed Owain Fon Williams 24 hours before our European qualifying match against FC Astra tells its own story. The preparation for the season was so lacklustre, I'm fairly certain by the Motherwell opening game of the season, Hughes didn't know what his squad would be. We knew for months that Graeme Shinnie was going to be leaving the club, did we replace him? - No. Same goes for the likes of Watkins, Mckay, Ofere and Ross. I found the number of midfielders brought into the club this last season quite unsettling. What was the actual point in Nat Wedderburn? What was the point in Liam Hughes, Ryan Williams? The club is crying out for a structed scouting system looking for quality players rather than quantity - says it all when you're signing players from DW Sports, to be fair Vigurs have been fantastic this season. 

Kenny Cameron has publicly stated that Hughes was given the biggest budget of any ICT manager, he's had all the support he needed and more, end of the day, it's his own fault for pissing it away on mediocre players like Dani Lopez. 

I will always be forever thankful for Hughes success at the club but he is not bigger than the club. I want and think the club needs fresh ideas and Yogi isn't the man to provide that anymore IMHO.

 

  • Agree 11
  • Disagree 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, ICTRoughi said:

Without a doubt, the team of last season did improve individually under the influence of John Hughes and Russell Latapy.

The season just gone by has been a total abomination from the start. The fact that we signed Owain Fon Williams 24 hours before our European qualifying match against FC Astra tells its own story. The preparation for the season was so lacklustre, I'm fairly certain by the Motherwell opening game of the season, Hughes didn't know what his squad would be. We knew for months that Graeme Shinnie was going to be leaving the club, did we replace him? - No. Same goes for the likes of Watkins, Mckay, Ofere and Ross. I found the number of midfielders brought into the club this last season quite unsettling. What was the actual point in Nat Wedderburn? What was the point in Liam Hughes, Ryan Williams? The club is crying out for a structed scouting system looking for quality players rather than quantity - says it all when you're signing players from DW Sports, to be fair Vigurs have been fantastic this season.

Kenny Cameron has publicly stated that Hughes was given the biggest budget of any ICT manager, he's had all the support he needed and more, end of the day, it's his own fault for pissing it away on mediocre players like Dani Lopez.

I will always be forever thankful for Hughes success at the club but he is not bigger than the club. I want and think the club needs fresh ideas and Yogi isn't the man to provide that anymore IMHO.

 

You've hit the nail on the head, absolutely spot on in my opinion and I challenge anyone to argue your points.

I think it's firmly the case that the board do not trust JH with his handlings in the transfer market and player recruitment and from the stories coming out it would appear to be true. We simply can't have the board and manager at loggerheads and  fighting against each other, the board will protect the club/business at every turn and up to now over the lifetime of the club can it be argued? I think not.

The manager in general terms is normally blinkered and has one agenda, himself and the team unless he has bigger control which I doubt he does. I trust the board to make the correct decisions for the club but unfortunately do not trust JH to make the correct decisions for the team.

I think Russell Lattapy was a bigger influence on the team than he gets credit for and we certainly looked a lot stronger going forward last season and played better football, that was the start of the fall from where I sit. Some of JH's decisions mentioned in the above post is baffling especially the OFW situation and the timing of him coming in.

We simply must get this resolved one way or another, if the board do not see JH seeing out his contract then get him out now before frittering our budget away leaving the next person nothing to work with, if they see him as the man for the next two years then JH has to fall in line and work within the budget, simple!

  • Agree 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'll challenge one of Roughi's points - when did we sign a player from DW Sports? Have I missed something!?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, RiG said:

I'll challenge one of Roughi's points - when did we sign a player from DW Sports? Have I missed something!?

I know what you're trying to do but Esson bumping into Vigurs in DW Sports is top quality scouting. 

  • Agree 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, PerfICT said:

http://stv.tv/sport/football/1354498-hughes-would-be-huge-loss-for-ict-and-could-be-celtic-boss-says-collins/

I think John Collins needs to come and watch ICT more regularly - he might change his opinion on JH's brand of football!

Butcher deserves more credit than being a long ball team.  JH had improved them last year and does deserve credit, but he had a great base to work from as improvements were clear to see under Butcher.  This season has been difficult and with a short pre season, quality players leaving, injuries and slow/poor recruitment we have gone backwards.

Both board and management team need to sort themselves out and decide either way.  This statement bickering by both is not on, it shows a weakness in the board especially as they could have nipped it in the bud without public statements.  I appreciate there maybe sensitive talks at present but the clubs No Response probably tells us something is about to come out.  Last week I hoped JH stays as I feel he is a good manager, but with the bickering he will probably have to go.  Message to the board if you are going to undermine the manager in public through scripted statements and childishly not even mention your manager in end off season speeches to the fans (at least praise him for his efforts and family sacrifices he has made for the club) then your good reputation could go up in flames, especially with potential new managers.

  • Agree 2
  • Disagree 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Back page of the P and J reports a severance package is being drawn up. 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, rossfm said:

 at least praise him for his efforts and family sacrifices he has made for the club

Dont get the family sacrifices bit. Thousands of people from elsewhere get jobs in Inverness and usually not as well paid as his. Most move there families here, some decide not to. Its there call. For some reason people in football often decide not to relocate up here unlike most others getting a job here. Again thats there call. If they want to seek a well paid job here but decide not to move there families thats a conscious decision, not a sacrifice.

  • Agree 1
  • Disagree 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
24 minutes ago, Yngwie said:

:ohmy:

To put that into words, it's just staggering that only a year after we came 3rd in the league and won The Cup, it seems that the 14/15 manager of the season, who was given a lucrative contract extension just a few months ago, is now being paid off.  :amazed:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Shocker. Well that's worked out well then. That will mean even less money available for next season's player budget. Not looking like a sound football or business decision.

Edited by Tichy_Blacks_Back
  • Agree 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, ICTRoughi said:

I know what you're trying to do but Esson bumping into Vigurs in DW Sports is top quality scouting. 

Have we got anyone covering Nandos in different cities.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Guest
This topic is now closed to further replies.

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.