Barry Robson (2)

Naelifts

I think this deserves to be on the Caley page. What a great player he was for us. I have such fond memories of him rampaging down the park having been fed a pinpoint ball by Bobby Mann. Temperamental certainly, but one of my favourite players that have pulled on the shirt.......possibly THE favourite. My favourite goal was during a tense , meaningful game with Clyde up in Inverness. 0-0 with 10 to go and Barry bent a sublime freekick round the wall to give us an important victory..................I was going to look this up but Sneckboy will save me the bother. Laterly he proved himself an articulate analyst. And did he not score against Barcelona?    What a guy!!!!  Have an enjoyable post foottee career Barry!

• Agree 4

I remember him as a winey youngster with a lot to learn coming from Rangers. Could have easily dropped out the game soon after. He showed glimpses of talent but a bad temperament/attitude. Came back from a loan deal Fofar I think a much improved player. Continually improved throughout his career winning international caps and trophies. Apparently he was a great trainer. Lot of respect for Barry, worked his way to the top and deserved the success he earned. A great example for young players released from big clubs who drop down the leagues

Remember his first outing, a 3-4 defeat at Ice Station Broadwood (those were the days...). Some great memories of his better performances, but we should really have had a recorded message saying 'keep yer mouth shut Robson!' to save wear-and-tear on supporter vocal chords.

IIRC he was on loan at Forfar for the 3-1 at Sellick Park.

6 hours ago, Naelifts said:

What a great player he was for us.

Indeed, he was an absolute joy to watch, one of the most entertaining and tricky wingers you'll ever see.  Even then, many of us were saying he deserved a call up to the Scotland squad.  At Dundee Utd, he learnt how to defend and became a much better all-round player (under Ian McCall, would you believe) ending up as a central midfielder and captain.  Scoring for Celtic in the Champions League against Barca and picking up 17 Scotland caps probably make him the player with the most illustrious career after moving on from ICT.  Best of luck to him.

• Agree 1

McInnes has quite a team around him. I'm sure a bigger club will come in for him and his team will move with him. Sheerin gas enjoyed some success with the U20 side too. Has Robson done his badges? 

I remember the young Barry who suffered from the wingers disease, consistently inconsistent,, beat two players then cross it behind the goal, However he became a great performer for ICT which got him his move and as someone has said a great example to young players rejected by the big clubs.

• Agree 1