Miles Storey latest

Can't help feeling a little disappointed in Storey accepting a better offer from Aberdeen after less than a season with us.   I know all the arguments about it being a short career and players have to maximise their earnings while they can, but maybe one more season with us would have been a nice gesture on his part, as a 'thank you' for resurrecting his career which was clearly going nowhere at Swindon.  Maybe I expect too much!  I don't wish him any ill at Aberdeen, but I cannot bring myself to wish him 'all the best', which I clearly did for Graeme Shinnie after his years of loyal service with us.  But as for Aberdeen as a club, I hope their good form of the last three matches continues for another three seasons or so.

• Agree 4

That's a bad loss.

How does one apply for the position of Head Scout at Aberdeen Football Club? Must be the easiest job in the world, just turn up at Caley Thistle matches through the season (or you could probably get away with watching the highlights on a Sunday night) and snap up anyone who scores a few goals.

It was not as simple as Miles accepting a better offer from Aberdeen

It would appear that Swindon Town his parent club demanded a development fee for Miles Storey Inverness were informed

Aberdeen paid that to Swindion which was excess of £200,000 Inverness were not williing or were unable to match that money

• Agree 1

25 minutes ago, Ice_G said:

How does one apply for the position of Head Scout at Aberdeen Football Club? Must be the easiest job in the world, just turn up at Caley Thistle matches through the season (or you could probably get away with watching the highlights on a Sunday night) and snap up anyone who scores a few goals.

Along similar lines - John Rankin.... Don Cowie.... Stuart Golabek..... Andrew Barrowman...... to name but a few. Pot, kettle, black?

Edited by Charles Bannerman
  • Agree 1
  • Disagree 5

25 minutes ago, Dargo20 said:

It would appear that Swindon Town his parent club demanded a development fee for Miles Storey Inverness were informed

Aberdeen paid that to Swindion which was excess of £200,000 Inverness were not williing or were unable to match that money

Mate, if we had cashed in on Tansey when we had the chance we would have been in a better place to negotiate with Storey or at least have the funds to bring in a centre forward. Lets be honest, central midfield is one place we are not short of options.

35 minutes ago, Dargo20 said:

There's absolutely nothing in the release from ICT to suggest that this was a stumbling block. If we weren't able to agree any kind of fee we wouldn't have been able to talk to him (which we allegedly were based on what they club are saying).

It's importnant to remeber that Storey was never our player - only on loan. We haven't lost him because we never had him. Yes, you would hope that we might have had an edge in his thinking because we rescued his career, but it was Swindon and Storey's agent who held the cards here, not ICT. I really don't think we can point the finger at the club or management on this one: I've no doubt that there was a desire to keep him, but the speed at which this deal has been done suggests that it has been in the wind for a while, so we migth never have been at the races.

• Agree 7

Another one. 

Maybe we should just ask The Dons if they'd like to form an official agreement by where we get an annual fee for producing their stars. 

In other news Nate Wedderburn has joined Dunfermline. 

• Agree 2

3 minutes ago, lightwelter said:

Gutted that Storey has opted against signing for us, even more gutted that he has signed for Aberdeen. If we sign Billy McKay would that make up for losing Storey, but that's a big if. 

If we have a fit Doran along with Billy McKay I would say we could be quite a force. The only problem is getting a deal for Billy boy.

Miles Storey was a Swindon Town player and as his parent club they were due under English League rules a developement fee even when his contract had run out

Swindon Town Chairman Lee Power was lookig for £250,000 for Storey Aberdeen have apparently negotiated that down to nearer £200,000

Remember he charged ICT a fee of £50,000 to extend the loan spell in January 

• Disagree 2

1 hour ago, forresjags said:

Mate, if we had cashed in on Tansey when we had the chance we would have been in a better place to negotiate with Storey or at least have the funds to bring in a centre forward. Lets be honest, central midfield is one place we are not short of options.

Really?

I'm sorry but I wholey disagree with you on this one, Tansey is one of our best players and I think we did the right thing and did well to keep him in January. Yes we are not short of options in midfield but why make our team weaker for only £200000 - lets be honest I'm sure Storey is going to get a far greater wage at Aberdeen than we could have afforded over and above the fee which doesn't make it viable in my opinion, not a club with our limited resources.

You base the foundation of your team on your best players then you add to it, you don't sell your best players to bring in other 'hopefully' as good as players, that's a big risk.

This whole situation was some what inevitable to be honest and as soon as a bigger club with bigger resources came in we were never going to be able to sign him.

Yes he's a good player but would he have been the 20 goal plus man we need right now - I very much doubt it.

• Agree 2

18 minutes ago, medievalmickey said:

Very surprised at £200,000. May be we now sign George Moncur.

Rules are that all clubs responsible for his development are due compensation. He spent some time at Wolves and Coventry as a youth so they are probably entitled to a share. I think the figure represents 8 yrs of development  £25000 a year

• Agree 1

2 hours ago, Charles Bannerman said:

Along similar lines - John Rankin.... Don Cowie.... Stuart Golabek..... Andrew Barrowman...... to name but a few. Pot, kettle, black?

Think we actually did County a favour with that last one. 

• Agree 2

1 hour ago, Dargo20 said:

Swindon Town Chairman Lee Power was lookig for £250,000 for Storey Aberdeen have apparently negotiated that down to nearer £200,000

Remember he charged ICT a fee of £50,000 to extend the loan spell in January 

Source? Not doubting you, just curious if the fees were actually published anywhere, as none of the articles I've seen mentioned this.