Yogi

Bronson

Interestingly it seemed that it was the Raven stuff that seemed to turn a lot of fans against him. Despite a lot of folk mentioning tactics, performances and signings as reasons why they wanted him to leave it wasn't until Raven was told he was getting released that the majority seemed to want him to leave.

1 hour ago, RiG said:

Doesn't explicitly state he has left although I assume that is what it is getting at. I wonder why it's stopped short of saying exactly that.

My guess is that he's still on the payroll (until he gets another job) so he hasn't actually left the club yet - but is no longer carrying out the role of manager.

After some yogi bashing over performances and raven-gate I still wanted him in charge next season and was willing to give him a chance to rebuild but now he has gone I'm not really bothered. He deserves credit for taking butchers team, changing the style of play and reaping the benefits (3rd and cup winners). He tried to play the same way with his replacements and with key players out injured and it didn't work. I am pleased the board has been strong.

All this lack of ambition chat is tedious. We had our most successful season ever last season, what was the increase in attendances? To have a bigger budget will involve years and years of engaging kids in Inverness with the club so they get hooked and so do the next generation. Adding a few more hundred or thousand onto the gate won't happen overnight it will take decades. Get used to better players and managers moving on, it's football.

• Agree 8

John Hughes

He has to be held as a club legend in his 2 and a half year spell, he won the scottish cup and took us to europe and a league cup final, not forgetting our highest ever league finish. He certainly went through his ups and downs, but in 50 years time what will he be thought of by ICT fans? He will be known as the man who brought the worlds oldest trophy up to Inverness. In 22 short years we have done what some clubs have not managed in over 100. We may never win it again, but he brought happy memories to every ICT fan. some people won't be happy he has gone, who knows what goes on behind the scenes, but to become an established premiership club in the last 10 years with only 1 little blip is incredible. The John Hughes chapter in ICT folklore is over. Whatever the board does, there will always be questions asked, there will always be mistakes made, but for all the success you have brought us. John hughes i thank you. 

Onwards and upwards into the next chapter. No matter who the next manager is i will be supporting ICT for years to come.

• Agree 8
  • Disagree 1

While he may have alienated some supporters with certain decisions I feel like we need to take a step back and look at what Yogi achieved at ICT.. I recall feeling utter deflation at his appointment at a time when I felt we could have attracted a manager of much higher calibre.. Yet the man led us to an incredible 2014-15 campaign that was beyond our wildest (realistic) dreams and delivered two top half finishes plus a 7th place when he basically had half a squad to choose from all season due to injuries. It wasn't that long ago when a top six finish was an unrealistic expectation yet we now seem to take it as a given despite consistently having one of the smallest budgets in the league.

Yogi proved an inspired appointment and despite also feeling bewildered at several of his decisions I'm sad to see the guy go - he always delivered. All this adds to my faith in the board to make the right decision as to his replacement - even if it seems incorrect immediately afterwards. Every pre-season I find myself incredibly pessimistic as to our chances and ICT always outperform my expectations. Maybe they're too low, or maybe yours are all too high. Either way, I'm confident that in the grand scheme of things we'll look back on Yogi's tenure as a short but incredibly successful one and I wish him all the best in the future. 

• Agree 4
  • Disagree 2

One of the many things missing from the club statement is something along the lines of "We will now begin the search for a new manager", which I'm pretty sure has been standard in previous announcemnents of managerial departures.

5 hours ago, caleyboy said:

John Hughes you are a legend at Caley Thistle  just sorry it all had to end like this. Sincere best wishes for the future. :clapoverhead::clapoverhead:

I have to disagree. Steve Paterson is a club legend as are the likes of Ross Tokely, Barry Wilson, Grant Munro, Dennis Wyness and Iain Stewart. Yogi had that status too in his grasp despite this last season but by his actions over the last couple of months has forfeited it.

• Agree 2
  • Disagree 7

^ that sums up some of views of the yogi haters, no matter what the man did or could achieve at the club some will never give him praise. Winning a national cup, runner up in a 2nd and taking our little club into Europe will never rank as high as making our way through the lower leagues of Scotland.

• Agree 4
  • Disagree 1

2 hours ago, Kingsmills said:

I have to disagree. Steve Paterson is a club legend as are the likes of Ross Tokely, Barry Wilson, Grant Munro, Dennis Wyness and Iain Stewart. Yogi had that status too in his grasp despite this last season but by his actions over the last couple of months has forfeited it.

From someone who idolised Jim Leishman I think your opinion regarding how good or bad football managers are should be taken with a pinch of salt

Dougal

9 hours ago, Yngwie said:

My guess is that he's still on the payroll (until he gets another job) so he hasn't actually left the club yet - but is no longer carrying out the role of manager.

If he is still on the payroll and on gardening leave does that mean he has to fulfill a useful role like wear the nessie suit, be an ambassador to schoolkids get fat people thin etc. 

What about setting up a walking football league in highlands.. ☺

1 hour ago, bdu98196 said:

^ that sums up some of views of the yogi haters, no matter what the man did or could achieve at the club some will never give him praise. Winning a national cup, runner up in a 2nd and taking our little club into Europe will never rank as high as making our way through the lower leagues of Scotland.

I doubt if anyone on this site is a 'yogi hater'. Some of us had legitimate and growing concerns about the direction he was taking the team in, yet more of us  thoroughly dislike the way he has played the media and exploited the club for his own benefit in recent weeks and months but I would be very surprised if anyone hates him.

Such inflammatory terminology doesn't add to the debate at all.

Edited by Kingsmills
  • Agree 3
  • Disagree 1

On 19 May 2016 at 8:01 AM, forresjags said:

Maybe the Board, should also take a long hard look at themselves, hardly driven the club forward have they ?

Exactly -  they have allowed  the manager take all the flak while denying him the funds . Total catch 22 situation next season - no cash does equal no players ( of likely quality) managers come and go but the board - who many fans wouldn't even recognise ( Kenny C apart ) carry on same as ever ! 

• Agree 1
  • Disagree 4

Just now, alwaysblue said:

Exactly -  they have allowed  the manager take all the flak while denying him the funds . Total catch 22 situation next season - no cash does equal no players ( of likely quality) managers come and go but the board - who many fans wouldn't even recognise ( Kenny C apart ) carry on same as ever ! 

They didnt deny him funds tho did they? He has had the biggest budget of any ICT manager and was backed with emergency money when the injuries got critical last season. Would you suggest putting the club at financial risk for yogi? I also wouldnt have trusted him to spend any money wisely given his signing record for us

• Agree 14

10 minutes ago, alwaysblue said:

And may well they carry on the same as ever IMO, they didn't allow the manager to take all the flak nor did they deny him the funds.

He had the biggest budget in ICT history during the 2015/16 season and that same budget set for 2016/17, at what point was he denied the funds? Do you mean the funds from a bank loan or director loan? If so then they can keep them there and I trust the boards decisions to keep it debt free while not bowing to pressure.

They didn't allow him to take the flak, he brought it on himself by his ridiculous attitude in the press and public outcrys of displeasure over his playing budget. He was a victim of his own belief's and the more he spoke in press conferences the more his head got bigger and he started to believe half of the crap he was spouting, his dealings with the media over his full tenure have been his downfall, it didn't just start with outing the board. For a long while I had voiced my displeasure over his media handling.

Edited by MrCaleyjag
  • Agree 3

8 minutes ago, alwaysblue said:

When was he denied funds? When the squad was stretched they gave him more money but they can't give him extra money when they, erm, don't have any to give. Unless you want the club living beyond its means and running the risk of going into administration.

Not that I think the board have been perfect here either but your 'denying him funds' point is ill founded.

• Agree 4

One thing that has been instrumental in driving our club forward from the very start from the Highland League to European football is the innate sense of what we rightly call togetherNESS.

That has sadly been lacking just recently and if our club is going to continue to progress, as I believe we still can, that has to be recovered from the Boardroom down. This is an opportunity for a fresh start and to recover the essence of what makes our wonderful club unique. Time now for the directors to play their part by being a bit more open and informative and for everyone with the interests of the club to get behind them, the new management team whoever they may be and most importantly the team.

• Agree 1

As far as I can see, he knew what the budget was. Its not that he had no money to spend, more that he spent it unwisely, flooding the squad with mainly mediocre midfielders when our main requirement was up front.  Apart from Storey (on loan) he signed no one of any real quality up front.

Coupled with his ridiculous and stubborn stance re Raven, this was always going to end in tears.  I thank him for being in charge, and rightly being praised, for giving us our best season in our short history, but I can't honestly say I'm sad to see him go.

Lets look to the future with optimism!

• Agree 3

Firstly, and it's the first time I've done it since this time last year, I would like to say thank you to JH for his reign at ICT and the tremendous season he brought us in 2014/15 and for his time during his spell at the club - some have suggested for that you should go down as a club legend. For all you brought the club though that's not one phrase I would use to describe you I'm afraid.

To become a legend you have to have it all, the full package and you didn't which is a shame because you had the chance to, maybe some better guidance in certain situations and it wouldn't have fallen apart especially with the press which ultimately was your short coming.

Lets be honest you inheritted a a good squad, the way you got the team playing in 2014/15 was marvelous and deserves great credit which IMO makes you an excellent coach but once that starting breaking up as a manager you had to adapt to what you had which you didn't. Legendary managers adapted through their reign at whatever club they were at and changed, you didn't especially with regards to tactics and the ability to change a game and playing style.

In the transfer market you were less than legendary, yes every manager makes the odd mistake but you made more and I think ultimately panicked at the situation you faced.

With the media again you were less than legendary, before you started to bemoan the budget you had and publically slating the board, you had prior with the way you waxed lyricals about Celtic and at points Rangers as well, it got embarrassing and was cringeworthy at times. The way you talked the team up at times was a little overboard as well, we as fans knew we were good and had potential but even in defeat you stated your undying love for the way the team played and their efforts and the fact you couldn't fault them, you needed to slightly reign it in a little at these times.

On the fans topic, well you could have worked a little bit harder on that subject, you didn't endear yourself to them very well at times.

Ultimately winning the Scottish Cup was the clubs finest achievement to date but it was your downfall I'm afraid, from that point on IMO you saw yourself in a different light, almost as if you felt elevated above it all, felt bigger than it all and began to believe you were bigger than it all - no one person is ever bigger than the club I'm afraid, certainly not at our level.

So while I am eternally greatful for the memories and success I am not sad that you are gone, we need a settled club, a club that can make progressive steps forward, a club that can live within it's means, a club that is an attractive outfit to come to and last of all retain our roots - it wasn't going that way towards the end and for that the boards decisions is justified.

• Agree 5

I've just joined the forum this morning - Hello everyone.

Just wanted to say that I am a big John Hughes fan and will always remember that Scottish Cup win as long as I live. 

Our club is a small one that thrives on the passion and belief from supporters and players. There's been an underdog mentality for a long time which has worked for us and I think we've established ourselves as a solid top flight team. 

I don't ever think we'll lose that and I am really looking forward to supporting the team and the new manager next season. I think that if the new manager can bring contacts with him at a national level then there's a chance we can continue to source these lower league rough diamonds and mould them into a top 6 team again. 

I,  like a few others on here,  would like to see more trust and investment in the youth team too, let's find more Ryan Christies and Liam Polworths. 

Our positivity is one of our best assets, so out with the old and in with the new! 

Best of luck Yogi. 

• Agree 7

19 minutes ago, Fozzy said:

I've just joined the forum this morning - Hello everyone.

Just wanted to say that I am a big John Hughes fan and will always remember that Scottish Cup win as long as I live. 

Our club is a small one that thrives on the passion and belief from supporters and players. There's been an underdog mentality for a long time which has worked for us and I think we've established ourselves as a solid top flight team. 

I don't ever think we'll lose that and I am really looking forward to supporting the team and the new manager next season. I think that if the new manager can bring contacts with him at a national level then there's a chance we can continue to source these lower league rough diamonds and mould them into a top 6 team again. 

I,  like a few others on here,  would like to see more trust and investment in the youth team too, let's find more Ryan Christies and Liam Polworths. 

Our positivity is one of our best assets, so out with the old and in with the new! 

Best of luck Yogi. 

Welcome to the forum. I hope you will stick around and contribute throughout the coming season and beyond.

5 hours ago, Kingsmills said:

J.H is definitely a legend in my eyes, although I don't have the first hand experience to compare him to other managers apart from Butcher, but getting to a League Cup Final (and finishing in the top six the same year) , winning the Scottish Cup, finishing third in the league and getting into Europe, and finishing well above the drop zone this season given injuries and departures, and getting to the quarter finals of both cups this year.....how can that not give you 'legend' status. What more do you have to do, yes sometimes the performances have not been great, but there have been plenty times when they have....don't forget we got to the Cup Final last year after we had sold effectively our only striker (Mckay). And yes there have been disagreements, in particular over Raven, but every club has similar issues. I also don't get this poor signings thread...given the pool we have been fishing from, Ofere, Fon-Williams, Storey, Roberts and Mutombo have all been decent signings, which offset against others in the same way other clubs sign duffers (I'm not saying the ones I mention are brilliant but definitely showed promise or delivered or did a job for us). In the same way guys like Christie, Polworth, Devine and Tremarco have flourished under Yogi.

A sorry end frankly...but as we say at Palace (usually every year) 'new era, new era'

• Agree 1

3 hours ago, Kingsmills said:

I doubt if anyone on this site is a 'yogi hater'. Some of us had legitimate and growing concerns about the direction he was taking the team in, yet more of us  thoroughly dislike the way he has played the  for his own benefit in recent weeks and months but I would be very surprised if anyone hates him.

Such inflammatory terminology doesn't add to the debate at all.

Your "dislike" started the day he arrived and you have been nothing but critical no matter what the man did. Maybe you have been treated the same way at some time in the past but if not I certainly hope you you do in the future. We can do without people like you

• Agree 2
  • Disagree 2