Yogi

Bronson

6 hours ago, bughtmaster said:

An excellent post indeed by D D if you are looking to set out a case for the Board against Hughes.

Sadly it is flawed, It reads as if T B was a very successful manager  compared to J H which indeed he was not. Yes, he did leave us in 2nd position thanks to the players that had been found for him, and yes following the J H induction period there was a long succession of very poor results but that was because the team was learning a very different but much more effective style of play. We came through the bad period and our style of play flourished so much so that other Clubs tried to follow suit. We were playing great football until the unfortunate spate of injuries started and our squad was becoming more and more depleted as we lost some of our most successful players

J H had to find replacements quickly, I'm sure the board responded in the best way they thought they could but the money allocation or the calibre of player for the money just was not there, more injuries came along and things became frantic for a manager who was doing his best to recapture a period of superb play and results.

Our play became bitty and we slumped in style and performance. How frustrating that must have been for a manager trying to build back into a successful winning squad. He knew he could work wonders for the Club and he really wanted to prove that.

''If it ain't broke don't fix it'' is a relatively new saying and one which stifles innovation. Our new style when we had the players to operate it was the best we ever had and brought us to the highs we had aspired to achieve. I really believe he would have gone on to even greater heights should circumstances have been more conducive.

Anyway he still has my gratitude for what he has done for ICT.

Butcher joined the club with the club on the verge of relegation.  He managed to bring us straight back, established us as a top six side and left us in 2nd position.  That is pretty successful and represented real progress for the club.  He did this on a smaller budget than Hughes has had available.  Had he stayed, I feel it highly likely we would have made it into Europe a year earlier and who knows what we might have done in the cups - won the league cup possibly but certainly we wouldn't have got dumped out of the Scottish cup 5-0 at home to Dundee Utd!  

Given the squad available, success was there for the taking.  Surely the thing to do was to build on the success the team was having and just tweak things a bit to try to further improve things.  Sure Hughes got things back on track the following season but at the cost of turning the team into one which rarely entertained. I just wonder what we might have achieved if he had built on the successful style we had rather than completely revamping the playing style.

In the year and a bit prior to Butcher's departure the team averaged 1.61 points a game and 1.67 goals a game in the league.  In taking the team from 2nd to 7th, Hughes has managed 1,45 points a game and 1,29 goals a game.  That does not sound like progress to me.

And even when we were successful under Hughes, I think there are many who would disagree with you about the style of play.  I agree that there were times when passages of passing play were excellent and we scored some lovely team goals as a result.  I therefore have some sympathy with Hughes' vision of how he would like the game to be played.  But the reality is that these moments were few and far between and all too often the opposition set out to frustrate us and we were unable to find the space, or the speed and accuracy of passing required to make this work.  Instead we passed the ball sideways and back and even games we won were just boring to watch. 

At least we now have a good core of a squad in place for next season.  Hopefully the new manager will manage in a way that is best for the club rather than pursue his own personal vision.  There is much still to do in order to replace the players who have left during Hughes' tenure at the club, but I am now optimistic that we can move forward again with a more entertaining style of play.

• Agree 1

DoofersDad, you see it your way I see it mine. I don't think we will agree on this one so rather than draw this out any further let's just hope we can both find a way to get behind the new regime.

Incidentally that seven year old who applied for the Manager's job, have to rule him out I'm afraid, He might want one of his mates to replace our Raven!

• Disagree 2

30 minutes ago, bughtmaster said:

DoofersDad, you see it your way I see it mine. I don't think we will agree on this one so rather than draw this out any further let's just hope we can both find a way to get behind the new regime.

Incidentally that seven year old who applied for the Manager's job, have to rule him out I'm afraid, He might want one of his mates to replace our Raven!

Yes.  I think we can agree to disagree over Yogi and hopefully we will agree about the great job our new manager will do regardless of how young or old he (or she) may be.  Whilst I have never been a fan of Yogi's style, you have been a very loyal supporter of him.  Perhaps he will reward that support by dipping into his termination of contract settlement and buying you a decent bottle of Malt.  It's no less than you deserve!

• Agree 1
  • Disagree 1

Every manager has brought something to the table in terms of fond memories and success. Unfortunately, the one thing they all have in common (with the possible exception of Christie who stepped down and remained) is leaving the club somewhat acrimoniously in the eyes of some or all supporters. 

Sergei was on a hiding to nothing having come from one half of our founding clubs, and didnt really have much if any success, but he will always be our first manager, and the man who oversaw many firsts for "CT" in that inaugural season in 1994-95. Paterson obviously guided us through the leagues playing some good stuff and masterminded 'that' result in 2000. Robbo guided us to the SPL and was very vocal in getting the rules changed whilst our chairman at the time was quietly effective in doing the same thing out of the public eye. Brewster had a measure of success and got us the fittest we have ever been, Charlie did well and lest we forget, our first time of finishing "best of the rest" we played all 5 post-split games achieving victory and not conceding a goal - something that had never been done before. Lets set aside Brewster 2.0 and move quickly on ... Butcher also had a good team around him and talked a good game as well as making some good signings and moving us forward and Yogi too will go down in history as the manager to have won us the Scottish Cup and navigated our first foray into Europe.  

Who should succeed him? I am not sure. The same old names will get trotted out although Owen Coyle might be an interesting addition to the normal list in the merry go round although I think he is more likely to end up in England somewhere. A lot of mentions for Richie Foran in some role but lets not forget that whoever becomes manager MUST have their UEFA badges. Its a UEFA requirement for anything more than a caretaker manager job in the top division of each country. Does Richie have these? Does anyone else who might be promoted from within like Esson or Yogi's assistant whose future is still unclear have these ? 

I will leave the board to make the right decision. KC and the rest of the directors chose Yogi for the position when he was not everybody's first (or second or third) choice and despite initial misgivings from a sizeable chunk of our support, until recently, where rifts became apparent, it seemed to be a pretty good fit. If KC wants to think outside the box again for a new manager or head coach then I personally am going to trust him on both a personal and professional basis. I have known him for 15+ years and he is a man of integrity, and I know he has (and always has had) the best interests of ICT at his core. 

• Agree 9

Another thing about the Chairman is that he listens to the players and values what they say.  If Foran gets the job we can be pretty certain that the appointment will have the full support of the players.  IMHO the "togetherness" that would bring will more than compensate for Foran's lack of managerial experience.

• Agree 4

Rotherham have been given permission to speak to Alan Stubbs, so there could be a vacancy at Hibs soon. Surely Hughes won't be so flukey as to get a massive pay off from us then move straight into a better paid job with a bigger budget, and based near his family too?!!!

Hibs would be mad to look at Hughes.  They will now be desperate to get back into the top flight and need a manager who adapts the tactics to the strengths of his players.  They also need a manager with a proven track record of using available cash wisely.  What they do not need is a manager who wants to completely reshape the way the team plays in order to satisfy some romantic image of the way the game is played.  

• Agree 4

7 minutes ago, DoofersDad said:

Hibs would be mad to look at Hughes.  They will now be desperate to get back into the top flight and need a manager who adapts the tactics to the strengths of his players.  They also need a manager with a proven track record of using available cash wisely.  What they do not need is a manager who wants to completely reshape the way the team plays in order to satisfy some romantic image of the way the game is played.  

Doubt theyd take kindly to being slagged off in the press either...lol 

• Agree 4

We must move on now.

If we get behind Richie Foran and the Board then the fans will get behind the team as well.

Richie  seems to be a different personality to Mr. Hughes. More self-contained, he understands the challenges facing the club with finances and a limited ability to sign new players and is a hard worker who understands that money alone is not the answer to the challenges that will face Caley Thistle from now on. Further, he is on good terms with upper-level management  and consequently he must have learned to speak thoughtfully and is unlikely to get petulant about things and  spit it all out in public.

He has done his badges (according to reports on here) and obviously has worked hard to befit himself for management. People grow into their positions and so will he. Along with his growing experience will surely come a growing confidence and his character has already been demonstrated by his tenacity and determination to come back from what is a devastating injury and this alone should be highly motivational to all the players.

Not only that, this also represents a terrific opportunity for Richie to further his career knowing, as he appears to, that it is not always about skill but the three "E's" -- energy, effort and execution. Ally these to determination, an indomitable will to win, together with hard work both on the training pitch and on match day, and we are home and dry.

i.e.    Let's remember what the Scotsman, Stevenson, said about the invention of his steam engine, the ROCKET.:- "There is no limit to the speed we can achieve if the engine can be made to stand it".      :ictscarf::notworthy:

• Agree 2

38 minutes ago, Scarlet Pimple said:

We must move on now.

If we get behind Richie Foran and the Board then the fans will get behind the team as well.

i.e.    Let's remember what the Scotsman, Stevenson, said about the invention of his steam engine, the ROCKET.:- "There is no limit to the speed we can achieve if the engine can be made to stand it".      :ictscarf::notworthy:

Scarlet... many will share your sentiment which is laudable. However the history bit at the end is a bit off the beam since I think you may be getting your Stevensons/Stephensons a bit confused. The railway locomotive the Rocket was the creation of Robert Stephenson, who was from Northumberland so hence English, and the son of George Stephenson. Robert Stevenson on the other hand was Scottish and a lighthouse engineer responsible for, among others, the Bell Rock lighthouse off Arbroath.

As for the quote which you say is from Stev(ph)enson, I have tried Googling it both in whole and in parts and the only results I get are where it has been quoted by yourself on three different occasions here on CTO!

• Agree 1

Charles--well done!  Feeling gooooooood now? When will your Mars visit be over old chap, you've  been up there  a whiley now haven't you? ?

Can't compete with an ex-teacher though that's for sure. And so I am going to give Scarlet  a real wigging (I didn't misspell that did I?) just so it never happens again.

Poor old S.P. he just repeats what he has read elsewhere on Scottish sites or a newspaper but really he has no excuse for such higgorance. He definitely needs to be teached by someone who really knows what he talking about, that I do grant you. Next time he will do all he can to read up on Wikipedia or he will answer to me .

And here he was thinking it was all about Richie. Just shows you how wrong you can be , eh, Charlie?  Aye.

Luv yah,

Daddy Pimpernell

• Agree 4

Has Yogi engineered his own release knowing full well that a more lucrative offer would come along in the close season, whilst trying to bleed the club dry after he received a two year deal last year. Not as daft as the average bear methinks. :ohmy:

• Agree 2

One thing we never had confirmed is whether or not Hughes is still employed with the club. The statement the other week was basically a non statement that didn't clarify anything other than Hughes wasn't going to be manager any more. No mention of him being sacked. Is he on 'gardening leave' like McCoist was with Rangers? Would he therefore be precluded from joining Hibs or anyone else?

11 minutes ago, RiG said:

One thing we never had confirmed is whether or not Hughes is still employed with the club. The statement the other week was basically a non statement that didn't clarify anything other than Hughes wasn't going to be manager any more. No mention of him being sacked. Is he on 'gardening leave' like McCoist was with Rangers? Would he therefore be precluded from joining Hibs or anyone else?

The statement of 24th May specifically referred to his "departure".  You can be assured that Hughes has tippy-tappy-toed his way out of the door.

29 minutes ago, tm4tj said:

Has Yogi engineered his own release knowing full well that a more lucrative offer would come along in the close season, whilst trying to bleed the club dry after he received a two year deal last year. Not as daft as the average bear methinks. :ohmy:

I doubt that he specifically had the Hibs job in mind and I doubt even more whether he will get it but he had been acting in his own self interests rather than the interests of the club for a rather long time.

• Agree 1

8 minutes ago, DoofersDad said:

The statement of 24th May specifically referred to his "departure".  You can be assured that Hughes has tippy-tappy-toed his way out of the door.

Ah right. I hadn't seen that one. Seems a bit not to just mention that in the initial statement but whatever. I'd be surprised if he ended up back at Hibs. I'd be quite tempted to go to ER should he be appointed there to see if he continues to go with his dull as dishwater passing the opposition to death style of play.

EDIT: He's favourite for the Hibs job :laugh:

Edited by RiG