Scottish and FA Cup Finals

7 hours ago, 12th Man said:

I didn't promote any aggressive or loutish behaviour.

Killy were on the pitch today our fans have been on the pitch for every promotion no point getting on your high horse.

Hope they deal with the trouble makers and it's a shame the Rangers fans didn't see their team get their Medals or stay on to see Hibs lift the Cup.

No way the The Rangers fans would have stayed to see Hibs lift the cup under any circumstances I don't know if you've noticed but they don't tend to be the most gracious and sporting individuals in the world.

There is a difference between running on the pitch when securing promotion or escaping relegation or winning a lower league title from winning a national cup competition. The former is an established and accepted norm.

The latter is sheer hooliganism, We kept of the pitch last year because we knew it was the right thing to do as did St Johnstone the year before despite being absolutely euphoric about winning the tournament for the very first time, In fact no winning fans have been on the cup final pitch since the disgraceful pitched battle of 1980 which led to fans at our major grounds being fenced in.

Those Hibs fans were every bit at moronic as the fans of their opposition who spent the entire match singing about events in seventeenth century Ireland. Apart from anything else they spoiled the celebrations of their fellow supporters and allowed very negative images of Scotland and Scottish supporters to be portrayed around the world.

Edited by Kingsmills
  • Agree 1

Technically if it's against the rules for A then it's against the rules for B. If there's no sanctions for one there should be some leniency for Hibs.

It wasn't right but it's happened now.

There's even talk of them getting banned from Europe a and its not the club or players fault that that happened.

30 minutes ago, 12th Man said:

Technically if it's against the rules for A then it's against the rules for B. If there's no sanctions for one there should be some leniency for Hibs.

It wasn't right but it's happened now.

There's even talk of them getting banned from Europe a and its not the club or players fault that that happened.

Personally, I do think that clubs have to bear some responsibility for the action of their fans but agree a European ban is inappropriate. I would withhold the share of the cup final proceeds for both teams, one for the pitch invasion, the other for the constant sectarian singing and distribute it to clubs promoting football at the grass roots. The Rangers are 'demanding' an independent enquiry. I would be quite content with that as long as it had the remit to investigate all aspects of Saturday's final.

1 hour ago, Kingsmills said:

Personally, I do think that clubs have to bear some responsibility for the action of their fans but agree a European ban is inappropriate. I would withhold the share of the cup final proceeds for both teams, one for the pitch invasion, the other for the constant sectarian singing and distribute it to clubs promoting football at the grass roots. The Rangers are 'demanding' an independent enquiry. I would be quite content with that as long as it had the remit to investigate all aspects of Saturday's final.

Bang on, an investigation into all 3 parties contribution on Saturday. 

I wasn't aware of this but seemingly Rangers were banned from Europe for a pitch invasion in the early 70's. Was that from the Nou Camp? Maybe the SFA have moved on, but don't bet on it 

A few more pictures of the Rangers players getting assaulted coming out now. One seems to have been verbally assaulted by fans running past him, like that doesn't happen at every away game. Unless of course he was spat on, which would be disgusting. Fact is, if that was us beaten in injury time, and our players were caught up in the "exuberance" with physical aggression displayed to the players, we would be crying out for all types of recriminations. Again like Hibs players not causing the problem, the opposition players didn't either. May be banned from defending their trophy in a draconian act from the SFA,

I can see many many life bans coming on both sides. Wonder how many will have incriminated themselves by posting pictures on social media by now  

9 minutes ago, bauhaus said:

Bang on, an investigation into all 3 parties contribution on Saturday. 

I wasn't aware of this but seemingly Rangers were banned from Europe for a pitch invasion in the early 70's. Was that from the Nou Camp? Maybe the SFA have moved on, but don't bet on it 

A few more pictures of the Rangers players getting assaulted coming out now. One seems to have been verbally assaulted by fans running past him, like that doesn't happen at every away game. Unless of course he was spat on, which would be disgusting. Fact is, if that was us beaten in injury time, and our players were caught up in the "exuberance" with physical aggression displayed to the players, we would be crying out for all types of recriminations. Again like Hibs players not causing the problem, the opposition players didn't either. May be banned from defending their trophy in a draconian act from the SFA,

I can see many many life bans coming on both sides. Wonder how many will have incriminated themselves by posting pictures on social media by now  

Yes, thousands of fans of the old Rangers invaded the pitch in Barcelona not just after but during their 1972 Cup Winners Cup final victory over Moscow Dynamo.

I see from the statement issued by the new Rangers that their fans only entered the pitch to gallantly defend their poor players and officials who were 'under attack'..Thank goodness that they have put that record straight....

Those scenes were not a great advert for the game in Scotland and I hope that Hibs are punished (financially) for it. Not that it's the club's fault TBH, but there has to be a deterant against the same thing happening again - not sure whether a fine will really do that, but it seems the fairest outcome. The individuals invovled in fighting from both sides should obviously face prosecution.

That said, the response from The Rangers is just embarrasing. They need to listen to themselves! The hypocrisy of the club statement beggars belief: so, when The Rangers fans sing inflammatory and provocative sectarian songs, fan behaviour is not the responsibility of the club, but when fans of the opposing team invade the pitch, it is?!

Can't say I've missed their predecessor at TCS and I'm not really looking forward to welcoming The Rangers next season, especially now that they'll come armed with all the baggage associated with liquidation.

• Agree 6

45 minutes ago, 12th Man said:

A fine for both clubs with proceeds going to Police Scotland and charities. 

Why on earth would any money go to Police Scotland ? The SFA paid a fortune to Police Scotland for policing at the match and their pitifully slow reaction certainly didn't help matters. If anything, it's they who should be refunding the football authorities.

• Agree 1

3 minutes ago, Kingsmills said:

Why on earth would any money go to Police Scotland ? The SFA paid a fortune to Police Scotland for policing at the match and their pitifully slow reaction certainly didn't help matters. If anything, it's they who should be refunding the football authorities.

Agreed! If theyd done their job properly and protected the players we wouldnt be discussing any of this now. 

• Agree 1

On 5/22/2016 at 6:42 PM, Yngwie said:

The conduct of both sets of fans was so bad that the result should be annulled and the trophy retained by the 2015 winners, along with the prize money and European place.

My favourite comment for a long time. If only it could come true Yngwie.

5 minutes ago, Tichy_Blacks_Back said:

Got to say this wee song along with the 5 goals is what the game should be remembered for....sadly not....great rendition though.... :whistle: 

Agreed, one of the very best anthems in football.

12 hours ago, bauhaus said:

an investigation into all 3 parties contribution on Saturday. 

A commission is indeed looking into what happened.  I fully expect them to conclude that despite the misdemeanours, the result should stand as a 3-2 win for Dundee Utd!

What happened, a club who have been to many Scottish Cup finals and always lost come back from behind with ten mins to go then score in extra time and celebrate with fans, very soon after win the match, a couple of dozen fans get onto the pitch ( may have even been at the same location of celebrating with fans )and the rest believe it's also OK to do so.

If they went ahead with 15 mins to go things may have calmed down enough for it not to happen.

12 minutes ago, 12th Man said:

What happened, a club who have been to many Scottish Cup finals and always lost come back from behind with ten mins to go then score in extra time and celebrate with fans, very soon after win the match, a couple of dozen fans get onto the pitch ( may have even been at the same location of celebrating with fans )and the rest believe it's also OK to do so.

If they went ahead with 15 mins to go things may have calmed down enough for it not to happen.

Still absolutely no excuse for what happened.

• Agree 1

If a commission wants to look into what happened then that pretty much sums it up, after watching fresh footage from Rangers fans it would be better to see how to put things right.

I would imagine kids would have gone home in tears if they were sitting near the front where the agro was.