DEAN BRILL

12th Man

Read that the contract isn't being renewed.

I genuinely hope to see you back here one day. Pity the injury mucked things up in the short term but now that's all in the last hope you find a decent club soon.

I always have a wee thought for Deano when being driven past Luton town in one of the 49ers by one of the local lads.

Very best wishes  Dean.

• Agree 1

Dean's departure takes the shine off the good news about Dave the Rave. Dean has been a loyal servant to the club and also seemed to enjoy the Highland lifestyle. Lucky will be the club you go to next Dean and I'd be delighted to see you here again in the future.

• Agree 2

It was some what inevitable that DB would be released especially after OFW signing his contract offer, genuinly believe DB is the better keeper and I suspect he'll not be short of an offer or two.

If none come from down south a see someone like Hearts possibly being interested having let Neil Alexander go unless they have someone lined up. 

Unfortunately we cannot sustain paying two wages for what are first team gks while having a player coach and a development gk as well, something had to give.

9 minutes ago, MrCaleyjag said:

It was some what inevitable that DB would be released especially after OFW signing his contract offer, genuinly believe DB is the better keeper and I suspect he'll not be short of an offer or two.

If none come from down south a see someone like Hearts possibly being interested having let Neil Alexander go unless they have someone lined up. 

Unfortunately we cannot sustain paying two wages for what are first team gks while having a player coach and a development gk as well, something had to give.

There will be few that would disagree with you on that, I to hope he gets a good club soon.

Sorry to see Deano go - such a shame for him that he missed out on the cup final....and a medal IIRC. DB and OFW both have strengths and it is tough to have to choose between them, but I think there would have been an element of risk with Deano, so I support the decision. Good luck big man and I will gladly applaud you if you return to TCS for another team.

• Agree 1

57 minutes ago, rocky1 said:

Suspect the Euros money was a deciding factor . Still think he is the better overall keeper 

Agreed. OFW is a good keeper, he just doesn't command the penalty box like DB does.

Sorry to say bye to Deano, a great keeper for us in his day ... but I wouldn't be surprised if we saw him again ... at Aberdeen CT. He admittedly loves life up here and they could do a lot worse. 

• Agree 1

Fon Williams does a good job but I agree that Brill is the better keeper especially when commanding the box and his defense. Best wishes to him wherever he goes. 

Oh, and Aberdeen CT? Hilarious. :laugh:

10 minutes ago, caleyboy said:

So are we saying that the board made the wrong decision in signing OFW and letting Deano go?

They made a difficult decision but, all things considered including potential cash from the Euros, made the right call just as they very often do,

19 minutes ago, caleyboy said:

So are we saying that the board made the wrong decision in signing OFW and letting Deano go?

I don't think so, had DB had a less unfortunate season with injuries and been pushing OFW then yes possibly but given we're not sure how he'd have been once recovered fully along with OFW being an international going to the Euros, and a competent gk in his own right, I think they made the best decision all round.

Sometimes it's not just about playing ability.

• Agree 1

44 minutes ago, Kingsmills said:

They made a difficult decision but, all things considered including potential cash from the Euros, made the right call just as they very often do,

If you crawl any further up their backsides we will be reading the writing on the soles of your shoes:notworthy:

• Agree 1
  • Disagree 2

32 minutes ago, MrCaleyjag said:

I don't think so, had DB had a less unfortunate season with injuries and been pushing OFW then yes possibly but given we're not sure how he'd have been once recovered fully along with OFW being an international going to the Euros, and a competent gk in his own right, I think they made the best decision all round.

Sometimes it's not just about playing ability.

I would agree but playing ability has to be 99% of the decision.

• Agree 1
  • Disagree 1

I would have liked OFW and Brill to stay and have Esson remain as a coach but I don't think that would have appealed to any of them! OFW and Brill would both want first team games and Esson would potentially fancy his chances to have a run in goals if the opportunity arose.

A tough decision to release either OFW or Brill who I think are very closely matched in terms of their ability. I'd be happy with whichever one stayed and sad with whichever one left.

• Agree 1

3 hours ago, RiG said:

I would have liked OFW and Brill to stay and have Esson remain as a coach but I don't think that would have appealed to any of them! OFW and Brill would both want first team games and Esson would potentially fancy his chances to have a run in goals if the opportunity arose.

A tough decision to release either OFW or Brill who I think are very closely matched in terms of their ability. I'd be happy with whichever one stayed and sad with whichever one left.

That and the fact that if we are going to be able to afford an experienced forward, we don't have the luxury of being in a financial position to retain all three.

• Agree 1

• 2 weeks later...