Richie Foran Poll

Kingsmills

Richie Foran Happy or Not ?  

133 members have voted

1. 1. How Do You Feel About RF Being The New Manager ?

• Happy
    • Unhappy
    • Ambivalent

Simple question. How do you feel about Richie Foran being appointed new manager, happy, unhappy or not sure ? I appreciate he lacks experience in the role but we have fared well going down that route in the past and I place myself very firmly in the 'Happy' camp.

I really really hope he proves me wrong and is a huge success but I'm very wary of the fact he's not got any experience, and that's being as either a manger or assistant, or even taking the youth team. Would have preferred to see him get a year or 2 as an assistant under his belt first.

However there are success stories out there like Alex Neil, Bryan Robson and I'm sure plenty others that have gone straight into management from playing with the same club.

So although I haven't clicked happy I guess we have to applaud the board for having the courage to take the risk and they must really see something there in Richie.

Onwards and Upwards!

IF he has done his badges (I assume he has as its required) then I am cautiously optimistic. Those courses are pretty intensive and thorough. 

He's clearly a man with an inspirational leadership style, and from what I hear more attached to the area than some of his predecessors. He's never been a shrinking violet so with an experienced #2 - of his own choosing - to assist and mentor him, and to help minimise the inevitable mistakes or tactical naivety that will inevitably surface I think he could do well.  Craig Brewster (first time round) and Charlie Christie both did fine as SPL managers with little experience. 

One thing I did like in his statement was that he was immediately hanging up his boots to concentrate on being a manager. That, to me, shows a level of determination to succeed. When Brewster came to us first time round, he tried to combine the two, thinking he could be both a manager and a "Roy of the Rovers" style player who could  manage from on the pitch. It doesnt seem to work at the top level so fair play to RF for electing to do only one job .... hopefully for all our sakes he does it well !   

On balance - happy. Yes, there's an element of risk, but there's also an element of security in that everybody knows what he'll give and he really loves the club. Also happy because the alternative would have meant risking financial security to bring somebody with experience in. If he can get a decent striker through the door, we'll be fine next year at least. The tricky bit will be replacing our best players as they  leave the club.

It's no secret that the last managerial appointment was not greeted with universal delight so it's great to see that with the best part of a hundred votes cast only one solitary isolated soul has declared themselves unhappy with this appointment.

Unity and togetherness has always been our greatest asset and, after a period of division, it's wonderfully encouraging to see that that has been so quickly and comprehensively restored.

• Agree 2

47 minutes ago, Kingsmills said:

It's no secret that the last managerial appointment was not greeted with universal delight so it's great to see that with the best part of a hundred votes cast only one solitary isolated soul has declared themselves unhappy with this appointment.

Unity and togetherness has always been our greatest asset and, after a period of division, it's wonderfully encouraging to see that that has been so quickly and comprehensively restored.

Definitely caleyboy :wink:

• Agree 1

Delighted actuellement.   It's a harbinger or things to come, :-

Fresh start with a down-to- earth grafter  who does not appear to be obsessed with his own brilliance.Fans onside as well'.  

To sum up: Just wait until the team walks out onto the pitch in the first game here at Tulloch and you will then know the extent of the encouragement that the home fans are willing to give to Richie and the team. It'll be a blast..:crazy:

• Agree 2

I have serious reservations but wish him all the best and Scotty, Brewsters best spell with us was when he could come onto the pitch and make a difference for 20 mins, as a manager the second time round he got us relegated.

If RF brings the same passion to his managerial post as he did to playing, he may spend a fair bit of time watching games from the stand.  Like many others who have moved to the Highlands he loves the area, and may not be as much of a fixture as Charlie Christie, but may become one.

• Agree 2

42 minutes ago, Kingsmills said:

I actually think that, in all the circumstances, Richie Foran has the potential to rival Steve Paterson for the title of our longest serving manager...

Was thinking that .... He's always been touted as a future manager for us, but what cemented his commitment to ICT in my mind was that he didn't follow his mentor Terry Butcher to Hibs like he did when Butcher came to Inverness: A quick Google search shows how much Butcher meant to Foran, and by extension, how much Inverness CT, his family and the area must mean to him now. 

http://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/richie-foran-wants-to-repay-terry-1556528#I04sewp0sqUbm1RD.97

http://www.newsandstar.co.uk/My-career-was-saved-by-Terry-Butchers-wife-says-ex-Carlisle-Utd-ace-Richie-Foran-bb878e1e-03c9-4b28-9a70-9b05055a100a-ds

There is also an excellent BBC article by Martin Dowden here that I think nails it in terms of our managerial dilemma : http://www.bbc.com/sport/football/36348419

• Agree 3

Taking your badges is like passing your exams for any other occupation it does not prepare you for the nuts and bolts of being a manager in any walk of life. I want this appointment to succeed but have grave doubts. As to RF being as long standing as Steve Patterson I hope he is, Patterson could build a team, recognized a player when he saw one and played an exciting brand of football, in fact,if Patterson had the appetite for it I would have invited him back everyone deserves a second chance and you don't lose Patterson's abilities with age. Here's wishing RF well I really hope it works out for him and the club.

• 10 months later...

Mmmm, I got this totally wrong in the summer. Was so optimistic that, with the spine of the team still there, Richie's passion and enthusiasm would be a bonus. Even in October, I was still thinking the same. I suppose the test of a manager is always when things go wrong. The frustration is that Richie makes the same mistakes over and over again. Any rookie will make mistakes and I think we all had the goodwill to forgive Richie for early errors. However, he desperately needed a guiding hand from November onwards, when the wheels started to come off. Whether that was on offer we'll never know, but he certainly never benefitted from any. I really feel sorry for him as he flounders like a rabbit in the headlights, but he really needs to admit to himself that the job is beyond him. His appointment wasn't his fault, but he needs to have a word with himself now. 

Edited by PerfICT
  • Agree 4

It was during Paterson's tenure that I started following the club and his teams brought a great deal of enjoyment and entertainment, it was noticeable that his teams consisted of mainly Scottish players which was also pleasing, I loved watching ICT in those days. Regrettably my misgivings re Foran's appointment have been realised, it was a foolish move by the board. What also pains me is that the system which JH had put in place has been abandoned, the team has no philosophy of how they want to play the game and are rudderless as a result. Every team needs a style that they will employ ie how to go about getting a result whether that is defending for your life like Nottingham Forrest in their heyday or by relentlessly passing the opposition to death like Liverpool or stepping up as a unit like the great AC Milan team who won the ball without making a tackle so good was their togetherness, there was so much to build upon the foundation that JH put in place regrettably that's all been destroyed and the board not Foran must shoulder the blame.

23 hours ago, PerfICT said:

Mmmm, I got this totally wrong in the summer. Was so optimistic that, with the spine of the team still there, Richie's passion and enthusiasm would be a bonus. Even in October, I was still thinking the same. I suppose the test of a manager is always when things go wrong. The frustration is that Richie makes the same mistakes over and over again. Any rookie will make mistakes and I think we all had the goodwill to forgive Richie for early errors. However, he desperately needed a guiding hand from November onwards, when the wheels started to come off. Whether that was on offer we'll never know, but he certainly never benefitted from any. I really feel sorry for him as he flounders like a rabbit in the headlights, but he really needs to admit to himself that the job is beyond him. His appointment wasn't his fault, but he needs to have a word with himself now. 

Agree with your thought's. On your point he needed a guiding hand from November onwards & whether it was on offer; I have been told from more than one source inside the club that it was on offer, however it appears any advice given was not accepted readily.