Where did you grow up >

1 hour ago, snorbens_caleyman said:

It's taken from the bridge over the railway - but I seem to remember it as being more hump-backed than that photo suggests. 

Just a couple of weeks ago, when I was in Inverness, I was talking with my uncle about our old flat at the top of George Street - he moved into it when we moved out. He said that it was fascinating to stand at the window in the flat, watching traffic struggling to get safely across the bridge when it was very icy.

It was more hump-backed. That's what confused me. The photo makes it looks like a crossroads. 

2 hours ago, snorbens_caleyman said:

It's taken from the bridge over the railway - but I seem to remember it as being more hump-backed than that photo suggests. 

Just a couple of weeks ago, when I was in Inverness, I was talking with my uncle about our old flat at the top of George Street - he moved into it when we moved out. He said that it was fascinating to stand at the window in the flat, watching traffic struggling to get safely across the bridge when it was very icy.

Hours must have flown by mate.

It's just the perspective of the photo that makes it confusing. It's definitely taken from the old railway bridge and it was steep. As a 3 or 4-year-old I used to push my trike to the top and freewheel down. Don't know what today's parents would make of that but back then no-one seemed to give a sh1t.

5 minutes ago, Tob said:

It's just the perspective of the photo that makes it confusing. It's definitely taken from the old railway bridge and it was steep. As a 3 or 4-year-old I used to push my trike to the top and freewheel down. Don't know what today's parents would make of that but back then no-one seemed to give a sh1t.

That was much better than sitting in watching TV..........if you had one then!

11 minutes ago, IBM said:

That was much better than sitting in watching TV..........if you had one then!

Talking early 70s so had a b&w job which had a dial on the front to tune in. For some reason I can remember watching Z-Cars on it and nothing else.

When was the bridge demolished? Was it when Friars Bridge was built mid 80s?

13 minutes ago, Tob said:

When was the bridge demolished? Was it when Friars Bridge was built mid 80s?

I think it was just upgraded since the rail crossing is still at that point but I'm not sure when. I could guess that it may have been no later than when Longman Road became an approach to the new dual carriageway late 70s/early 80s. In the 50s I remember my mum taking me over the original bridge to meet my dad who used to cycle from his work in the Government Building which at that time was about the last building on Longman Road, past the Railway Hostel.

• 2 weeks later...
On 7/19/2016 at 2:15 PM, Tob said:

I was in this block of flats, but on the opposite side from you overlooking the temporary (15 years!) police station and the Inverness Motor Company. We got our marching orders when they decided to knock it down to make way for the multi-storey. Think that was about 72/73. 

Milne's Buildings.jpg

Would that flats have been Victoria Square?

Milne's Buildings. Victoria Square was next door I think.

I was young when we left there but my memory is that Milne's Buildings and Victoria Square made up the footprint of what is now the multi-storey, MB closest to the railway line and VS closest to Academy Street.

Edited by Tob