Club Badge/Crest

caleyboy

I hope I am not alone here but I don't think we have had a satisfactory answer to the issue regarding our official club badge/crest. I see from the caption of our 2 new signings that the "new" format is displayed and I personally feel this cheapens the image of our club. Again, we are NOT ICTFC, we are Inverness Caledonian Thistle FC! 

Edited by caleyboy
  • Agree 4
  • Disagree 7

To be fair over the years we have been known As ICTFC a lot and it works.

We obviously are still Inverness Caledonian Thistle Football Club, this is a shortened version. We are also the pride of the highlands.

i like it and in this day and age of social media people will know who we are seeing as our official Twitter with nearly 19k followers is @ICTFC

• Agree 1
  • Disagree 2

I could not agree more caleyboy. As an image for marketing, social media, etc. the new text is fine, positive even, as it merges the ICTFC brand identity to the official imagery. However, as an official crest for the club it has been ill thought out, cheapened by using the abbreviation and by adding a throwaway tag line to the banners. The 'Pride of the Highlands' slogan is cringeworthy enough but to include it on official club imagery is arguably disrespectful to other clubs in the region, not to mention appearing arrogant. Neither attributes that I would have associated with ICT before. I really hope this is just a mistake that can be rectified quickly (and a refund sought from whoever provided the advice!!) and the old, credible, badge reinstated ASAP. 

• Agree 4
  • Disagree 2

Looks like most on this site are ok with this situation? I can't believe it. What would Celtic fans say if they were abbreviated to GCFC Pride of Glasgow, Aberdeen as AFC Pride of the East, hearts as HFC. I can't  believe you are prepared to take this lying down! It cheapens and hurts our history.

• Agree 1
  • Disagree 1

1 hour ago, caleyboy said:

Looks like most on this site are ok with this situation? I can't believe it. What would Celtic fans say if they were abbreviated to GCFC Pride of Glasgow, Aberdeen as AFC Pride of the East, hearts as HFC. I can't  believe you are prepared to take this lying down! It cheapens and hurts our history.

Hearts are abbreviated to HMFC on their club crest. 

• Agree 1

I'm not overly fussed about the shortening to ICTFC but I think the "Pride of the Highlands' is a bit cringey. It's good for winding up County fans but I hope we haven't actually used it on our club crest / shirts.

I feel for topsixnextyear - I think he was the first person to really push these kinds of phrases on Twitter to rile Staggies. Had he somehow been able to copyright these phrases he could have earned a wee fortune.

• Agree 2

Pride of the Highlands is a decent enough slogan for the club to use where appropriate, but I really disagree with it being used on the official club badge. In my opinion it just looks a little tacky. 

I think it would be worthwhile trying to get the opinion of the majority on fans on this, and then writing to the club if there is a clear consensus against the new design.

A couple of years ago there was uproar when Everton changed their club badge. There was then discussion between the club and fans and a new badge was agreed upon for the following season. 

• Agree 4

It is probably too late to do anything this season but our club has a decent record of listening to the views of fans, David Raven's new contract without there then being a manager in place, is a good example.

I would be surprised if we didn't revert to a more traditional crest from next season.

5 hours ago, RiG said:

feel for topsixnextyear - I think he was the first person to really push these kinds of phrases on Twitter to rile Staggies. Had he somehow been able to copyright these phrases he could have earned a wee fortune.

we were using 'Pride of the Highlands' on here before twitter existed !

Does anyone ever recollect anyone ever calling for the 'Pride of the Highlands' line to be included in the badge?  I certainly don't and to do it with no fan consultation whatsoever seems very shortsighted, especially from club which claims it wishes to be far more open for the supporters from this season onwards.

• Agree 2

20 minutes ago, noho said:

Pride of the Highlands is, has been and always will be naff. It makes the club sound provincial and plays up to the southern, parochial view of clubs outside the central belt.  

There may be an argument about whether is should appear on the club crest but other than that I couldn't disagree with you more and frankly I don't care about any misconceptions held by some Central Belt pundits or fans.

Edited by Kingsmills
  • Agree 1

On 15 July 2016 at 9:00 AM, RiG said:

I feel for topsixnextyear - I think he was the first person to really push these kinds of phrases on Twitter to rile Staggies. Had he somehow been able to copyright these phrases he could have earned a wee fortune.

Don't worry about TSNY - he's absolutely minted due to his successful spread betting career.

On ‎17‎/‎07‎/‎2016 at 4:52 AM, DALNEIGHCALEY said:

The media refer to us as Caley more often than not so for that reason I'm in .

Only the ignorant and ill informed. Although, I do accept that makes up a fair proportion of the Scottish sporting media as far as anything north of Perth is concerned.

• Agree 1

On ‎17‎/‎07‎/‎2016 at 4:52 AM, DALNEIGHCALEY said:

Not guilty.... as indeed is also the case with the local media in general. After following the merger blow by blow for three years, the need to do the right thing here has ever since been very clear. But certainly there are many offenders in the national media - when they see fit to bother at all with North football - and I for one, despite my early Caley roots, get quite annoyed at that.

One local exception was the late Bob MacKinnon, former Inverness Thistle player and latterly a football reporter. Bob's reports were frequently laced with references to "Thistle" and "The Jags". On the other hand, there would be little chance of the national media balancing their references to Caley in this way, since to them "Thistle" ONLY seems to refer to those serial litigants from Firhill.

I do have to admit to having (deliberately) succumbed once. It was after a midweek derby at the Caledonian Stadium when, in the interests of scansion of course, I felt moved to end my full time report with:- "Super County go ballistic, Caley are atrocious". And, as those who may remember that match should confirm... they were!

Edited by Charles Bannerman
  • Agree 1

1 hour ago, Kingsmills said:

Only the ignorant and ill informed. Although, I do accept that makes up a fair proportion of the Scottish sporting media as far as anything north of Perth is concerned.

You really do seem to get a kick out of insulting fans by calling them "ignorant and ill informed". Ignorance lies with you as Caley or Jags have  been acceptable nicknames to many since the club was formed. 

• Agree 1
  • Disagree 1

11 minutes ago, caleyboy said:

You really do seem to get a kick out of insulting fans by calling them "ignorant and ill informed". Ignorance lies with you as Caley or Jags have  been acceptable nicknames to many since the club was formed. 

With the rare exception of died in the wool ex-Jaggies like Bob MacKinnon, mentioned in my previous post, I can't say that over the years, I've heard too many uses of "Jags" etc. "Caley" on the other hand is irritatingly commonplace and if that annoys people like myself who were relatively neutral/slightly Caley inclined, then I can fully appreciate how Jaggies from birth like Kingsmills feel.

1 hour ago, Charles Bannerman said:

With the rare exception of died in the wool ex-Jaggies like Bob MacKinnon, mentioned in my previous post, I can't say that over the years, I've heard too many uses of "Jags" etc. "Caley" on the other hand is irritatingly commonplace and if that annoys people like myself who were relatively neutral/slightly Caley inclined, then I can fully appreciate how Jaggies from birth like Kingsmills feel.

I would imagine you are the only Caley minded man who gets annoyed by us loosely being referred to as Caley.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, ferben1994 said:

Caley minded .

Please! That turn of phrase evokes too many images of obsessed adherents of the green and white!:crazy:

I am also interested in your apparent viewpoint that adherence, even modest, to any football club, or indeed former football club, should entirely rob someone of any sense of objectivity.

On 7/17/2016 at 4:52 AM, DALNEIGHCALEY said:

In all the time I lived in the Central Belt, I don't think I heard the club in conversation or in the media referred to as anything other than 'Inverness'.  Go to Glasgow and talk about 'Caley' and folk think you're talking about the university!

• Agree 2

1 hour ago, Renegade said:

In all the time I lived in the Central Belt, I don't think I heard the club in conversation or in the media referred to as anything other than 'Inverness'.  Go to Glasgow and talk about 'Caley' and folk think you're talking about the university!

:lol:

• Agree 1
  • Disagree 1