JMW Turner

dougiedanger

Bit of culture on here for once, JMW Turner's sketchbook of Sneck from 1831: http://www.tate.org.uk/art/research-publications/jmw-turner/inverness-sketchbook-r1135411#entry-mai

Seems to have taken the town seriously as a subject for his art, though I don't know much about his time in the Highlands and if he had any connections apart from as a traveller.

I really like many of Turner's paintings.  I know he painted Edinburgh quite a lot and did some illustrations related to some of Sir Walter Scott's books but I can't recall ever having registered that any of his paintings were of the Highlands.  Do you know if any of these Highland sketches were used as the inspiration for subsequent paintings?

I was interested to see the sketch of Kinkell Castle which is close to where I live.  It has a separate artistic connection because it was bought and restored by the artist Gerald Laing who died at the castle just 5 years ago.  Laing was internationally renowned and (to bring a sporting theme in here) is the sculptor responsible for the famous 4 statues of rugby players outside Twickenham. 

• 1 month later...

Trawling through threads from July, Charles?  Sounds like an exciting evening!  

Funny you should comment on the Turner thread though.  I am just back from New York where we visited a small private museum called the "Frick Collection".  In there they have the largest Turner painting I have ever seen.  It is of Dieppe Harbour and it is quite magnificent.  Apparently he was able to quit his job with Auld Reekie Cooncil after selling it.:artist: