Club Video : Match Highlights etc...

CaleyD

We're going to have to move to a different platform for providing highlights this season.  We don't have the resource, and it's not practical at many grounds, to put in our own cameraman to capture our own footage at every game.  This means we need to move videos behind a registration wall in order to utilise the feed being taken from the TV cameras instead.  This need for registration will be taken care of via the club website.

Obviously this new platform will come with a cost to the club.  We are working on that and hope to get the basic costs covered, allowing us to continue to offer highlights without charge.  If we do have to cover that cost through charging, then it will be a minimal annual subscription of around £15 per person (max).  The club absolutely do not want to go this route if at all avoidable....so if we can find a way to keep highlights free, then we will.

On the plus side....hopefully we'll be in a position to offer "on demand" full matches in the not too distant future, just got some logistics issues to work round.  This will be offered at a small fee which we've still to determine (feedback on what people would be willing/expecting to pay per game or for annual subscription welcome).

Not quite there (in terms of connection speed at stadium) to be able to offer live home matches for overseas fans, but we continue to work on it and if we can find an affordable and practical solution then the new platform will be able to facilitate it without the upheaval of moving again.

Obviously if/when we do get to a point where we are offering full matches (either live or on demand) for a fee, then we would review the need for any subscription need for highlights...should we need to start out on that path.

£15 is pretty reasonable for a full season and a lot less than was floated when you and I first started looking at this a few years back ... £15 at that time was looking like the monthly cost ... technology has moved on, costs have dropped, but the requirements of end users have also increased so thats pretty fair in my books.

18 minutes ago, Doch4 said:

how about offering live home game commentary (audio) as a stopgap until there is enough bandwidth for video. OAM has been pretty poor last couple of seasons.

Sportsound and Sportscene are utterly dreadful. The ICT highlights may not be the best (they are good I should point out) but they are infinitely preferable to the garbage we get on a Sunday night. I'd happily pay £15 a season to get reasonable quality highlights rather than put up with the drivel served to us by BBC Scotland.

43 minutes ago, Doch4 said:

how about offering live home game commentary (audio) as a stopgap until there is enough bandwidth for video. OAM has been pretty poor last couple of seasons.

This is something we have already done some work on.  Again, internet connection at the stadium is our nemesis and has given us some reliability issues.  We don't have the equipment to run it over ISDN and 4G is fine until you get a couple of thousand people all trying to jump on it here at the same time.

We don't have fiber connection available to us (yet) at the stadium as our cabinet was never upgraded due to it only serving two properties.  This means that, due to distance from the exchange, we can get less than 2MB download and about 0.4MB upload on a good day...on each copper pairing.  It's the upload that we need for streaming, be it audio or video, and that's not enough for either to be reliable.

We push towards solutions though and get a little closer every time we have a crack at it.

Just a theory but what is the maximum range on these WiFi extenders that you plug in to a socket. Just wondering if it's possible to experiment with say New Century House. Plug it into a socket  pick the same phase at the stadium. It would be interesting to find out if it works and if it increases speed. 

The cable linking the distribution boards at each premises would certainly be heavy enough providing they are linked up.

I'd certainly pay extra for that, I love watching the highlights back whether I was at the game or not, and hate having to wait 48 hours to watch on Sportnotseen. It's always good seeing the goals, but likes of the Arbroath game there was a lot of excellent football being played in between the goals that wasn't shown. I'd happily pay a subscription to see a 10-20 minute edited full highlights 

• Agree 1

19 minutes ago, 12th Man said:

Just a theory but what is the maximum range on these WiFi extenders that you plug in to a socket. Just wondering if it's possible to experiment with say New Century House. Plug it into a socket  pick the same phase at the stadium. It would be interesting to find out if it works and if it increases speed. 

The cable linking the distribution boards at each premises would certainly be heavy enough providing they are linked up.

They don't have fiber either. We have looked at point to point microwave etc. over longer distance, but it has its own pitfalls.

The only practical solution is leased line which runs to thousands per year...plus install. We're trying to make the numbers work on that at present.

35 minutes ago, CableGuy said:

I'd certainly pay extra for that, I love watching the highlights back whether I was at the game or not, and hate having to wait 48 hours to watch on Sportnotseen. It's always good seeing the goals, but likes of the Arbroath game there was a lot of excellent football being played in between the goals that wasn't shown. I'd happily pay a subscription to see a 10-20 minute edited full highlights 

We have to find a balance. If we offer too much on the highlights, then people won't pay a premium for full matches.

Being honest and upfront....I don't see highlights going over 10 mins. For games like the Arbroath one...it would be worth a couple pound extra for the full game.

• Agree 1

Yeh I guess 5-10 mins would be long enough. I think just to see the goals obviously plus any flash points with even a little commentary is good too. Numbers will always be an issue, but I'm sure they'd be quite a few willing to sign up to a subscription of even £5 a month, it's not much to be able to support a great addition for all the fans to enjoy. I guess kinda like the Celtic and Rangers "tv" broadcast 

Hearts have an online TV channel where fans pay a subscription and get highlights of first team and under 20s game, as well as insight into the teams training and interviews with staff and players. I wouldn't mind paying a small fee per month for something similar, providing the content was worth the price!

• Agree 2

50 minutes ago, CaleyD said:

They don't have fiber either. We have looked at point to point microwave etc. over longer distance, but it has its own pitfalls.

The only practical solution is leased line which runs to thousands per year...plus install. We're trying to make the numbers work on that at present.

Have you looked into using a Bonded ADSL option?

55 minutes ago, CaleyD said:

We have to find a balance. If we offer too much on the highlights, then people won't pay a premium for full matches.

Being honest and upfront....I don't see highlights going over 10 mins. For games like the Arbroath one...it would be worth a couple pound extra for the full game.

That would be a great improvement from what we get from the BBC about 2-3 minutes if we are lucky!  Saturdays game would have easy filled 10 minutes and still leave a lot of good football out :smile:

26 minutes ago, Tree said:

Have you looked into using a Bonded ADSL option?

Yup....but as I said above, the service is chronic over copper. The number of conjoined pairs needed to get a usable sevice would make it more expensive than a leased line.

1 hour ago, 12th Man said:

1 hour ago, CaleyD said:

They may not have it but it is available for them to use.

46Mb download & 10Mb Upload.

16 minutes ago, IBM said:

That would be a great improvement from what we get from the BBC about 2-3 minutes if we are lucky!  Saturdays game would have easy filled 10 minutes and still leave a lot of good football out :smile:

Not sure how much I can say on BBC other than the setup is changing this season....from the camera setup at games right through.

13 minutes ago, CaleyD said:

Some line chackers will tell you we can get that as well.....but we can't.

Plus net said it's not available to you guys but gave the thumbs up for New century house.

My idea pigg backs onto their system, if they let you put it to the test using the  electrical supply cable, do a ping test see if it works and see if it's satisfactory. If it is, the best bet is to pay for their new fast broad band.

Just make sure you test it on a power supply on each phase as close to the DB as you can, so it's on the same phase as NCH.

Don't know if it will work but will cost nothing to try.

Edited by 12th Man

6 hours ago, CaleyD said:

I wouldn't dismiss a ptp link. I believe you can buy licensed frequencies so no one can stomp all over your wireless link. The link would be a one time purchase and depending on your requirements and budget hundreds of Mb/s can be achieved. The trick tho would be to partner with an ISP that has a Line of Sight to the stadium and negotiate an affordable deal. Perhaps stadium advertising could be used to offset this cost. Just ideas.......

At less than the price of a Mars Bar per game, the suggested subscription fee for highlights is tremendous value and I would certainly subscribe. There are often incidents at games which you don't see clearly and it's frustrating when our pathetic 200 seconds or so on Sportscene misses them out. 10-12 minutes of highlights would be very welcome indeed.