Inverness CT -V- St Johnstone

Scotty

1 hour ago, Yngwie said:

Sportscene said that our players held their own team meeting this week. Seems to have helped!

Someone else mentioned this to me earlier and said it sounded like they (Sportscene) were suggesting players were going behind the managers back.

What Richie actually said (and you can hear it for yourself about 1 min into video below) is that the players had a chat among themselves after Richie left the dressingroom at Tynecastle.

3 minutes ago, CaleyD said:

Someone else mentioned this to me earlier and said it sounded like they (Sportscene) were suggesting players were going behind the managers back.

What Richie actually said (and you can hear it for yourself about 1 min into video below) is that the players had a chat among themselves after Richie left the dressingroom at Tynecastle.

It was just Pat Nevin being his snidy nasty self!

• Agree 1

An excellant team performance from all today and a well deserved win!  The game was exciting to watch from start right to the last minute with every player putting in a great performance.  More of the same please and we will have an enjoyable season :ictscarf::clapping: 

• Agree 1

My wife joined me at today's game, only her second one (the other being the cup final) so she has a 100% record.

Well deserved win, would have been tough had it ended in a draw.

First half I felt we were not supporting Fisher enough with often just Draper and King getting close to him. Second half much better.

Really impressed with Fisher's work rate and the chasing down. If he gets regular starts and we adjust to having a target man, he could do really well.

All 14 get pass marks, although not sure about Polly on the right, perhaps taking time to adjust.

Doumbouya looks like a handful, and pity Mulraney didn't grab a third very late on.

When the MOM topic is open, I will be saying

Fisher

Draper

King

Taped Sportscene, and interesting to hear Richie praise Vigurs too. Thought he had an OK game, but Tansey still not back to his best in open play, but a couple of decent set ups at set pieces. Talk of a couple more signings before Wednesday night: hopefully as squad light on depth.

All in all, an enjoyable afternoon and great result. Hopefully we can get something from Aberdeen in a fortnight.

Overall good result. Think polworth   was poor and looked lacking in confidence.

The number of chances created was great and watching the match was exciting and genuine entertainment.  

Richie throwing on the dogs at the end to worry the St Johnstone defence was great but could half done with being 15 min earlier. 

Real hope this could be an exciting season. 

• Agree 1
  • Disagree 1

She stood in as I had a spare ticket.

Before the game she said it was a one off, as she doesn't like football.

Afterwards, she admitted to enjoying the second half and will go again, but only in the summer. The next home game I can do is the Dundee one so I will try to persuade her!

She is worried, though, as she started a conversation about Doumbouya tonight!

Draper is our heartbeat. The test of a quality player is the one who comes to the fore when the team isn't playing well - Big Drapes has been the standout in all our defeats this season...and again today. It's brilliant to see that he's added goals to his combative midfield style.

Tansey has started this season slowly - like last. We really need him to start firing quicker. Is there still an offer from The Sheep distracting him?

The annoying thing now is the International break - Abdn off the back of a hidibg from Celtic + our victory today would have been a good build up to the game, had it been next Saturday.

• Agree 1

9 minutes ago, PerfICT said:

Draper is our heartbeat. The test of a quality player is the one who comes to the fore when the team isn't playing well - Big Drapes has been the standout in all our defeats this season...and again today. It's brilliant to see that he's added goals to his combative midfield style.

Tansey has started this season slowly - like last. We really need him to start firing quicker. Is there still an offer from The Sheep distracting him?

The annoying thing now is the International break - Abdn off the back of a hidibg from Celtic + our victory today would have been a good build up to the game, had it been next Saturday.

I believe they have plenty of cover in midfield now.

Downside today was all the empty seats and, in particular, mine.  Had to be in for a delivery which was late.  Gutted to have missed the game but delighted that the lads delivered today.  From the previous home games I think Givmeaccccc sums up my feelings of the way the team is playing.  I get the sense that regardless of where we finish at the end of the season, games are going to be far more entertaining than last year.  This is the message that needs to get out to those who don't attend regularly so that they can be persuaded to come back with the promise of being entertained whether we win or lose.  If the style of play can bring in more folk then that not only brings in more cash for the club, it creates more atmosphere and support for the team.  

• Agree 2

My 100% record for games attended remains intact.  The new striker looked very good when he came on late. The team looked  motivated today, seems I should be here for every game. 

• Agree 1

Both my teams scored in stoppage time to get points out of the game (ICT a bit more than Palace) so makes for a lovely weekend...also a good weekend for Caley Mad in Berks, who had several golfing chums up for the match, that result will have made him well happy.

Most entertaining Inverness v Perth game I can recall for a very long time. Good to see we kept having a go right to the end for the deserved victory. Their goal was a bit of a belter. Thought the ball was never going to go in for the winner.

Obviously I'm a lot happier than I was a fortnight ago!

We were particularly excellent in the first half hour, creating several chances and playing through the opposing midfield at will.  Not sure why St Johnstone left Murray Davidson on the bench; without his running, they didn't press us at all.  Vigurs was running the show in the first half.  Frustratingly we didn't get the goal we deserved though, partly because of the outstanding Alan Mannus and partly because of some poor finishing.

When Davidson came on at half-time, the game became far more even and I wouldn't say we were especially on top when we scored.  The goal reminded me of the one Falkirk scored against us in the Cup Final - a terrific free kick delivery from the by-line and a crashing header at the back post.  It was no less than Ross Draper deserved - he was terrific and might have had a hat-trick but for Mannus.

The way we sat in after that was alarming though.  Sure, St J made some attacking switches, but suddenly we were playing with 10 men within 25 yards of our own goal.  The visitors were getting a lot of joy down our left flank before Foster scored - Billy King just wasn't tracking him when he crept forward. Cracking finish, though.

Credit to Richie for the subs he made though - I'm not sure it was a gung-ho "I want to win this" attitude, rather more a feeling that bringing on more forwards would force us to abandon the defensive mindset we'd ended up in.  The two up worked really well in the circumstances and we were unlucky not to have scored before Meekings forced in the winner from a stramash that would have made Arthur Montford proud.

Lots of positives - I thought our back four played really well, and the workrate and attitude of the team was top drawer.

The major concern has still got to be up front - who's our best option?  Fisher's linkup play was very good early doors, but he spurned one really good chance and I thought his touch was more erratic after that.  I thought Shaughnessy dominated him in the air a bit too.  But he gives us a much more direct option than Boden (who was really bright off the bench).  Doumbouya?  Too early to say.  He looks clumsy as anything, but I thought that of Ofere too, and he turned out alright.

Still bottom, but hopefully onwards and upwards from here on in.

• Agree 2

• tm4tj unpinned this topic