Inverness CT -V- Dundee

Scotty

It would be a stretch to say we were brilliant, but we didn't need to be.  We probably won't have an easier league game all season.  Dundee were woeful.

As a few folk have said, we did take our foot off the gas after the second goal, but I never really felt we were in danger.  Perhaps if OFW hadn't saved well from Kerr, it might have been very different, but our back four looked pretty comfortable to me.

At half-time I was moaning about the Draper-Polworth switch.  Shows what I know.

Oh, and Doumbouya was terrific.  Bullied their centre-halves magnificently.

Edited by hislopsoffsideagain

Easy win for Inverness yesterday. Dundee were really poor and after going two down largely resorted to aimless punts up the park. Aside from a good start to the second half where they had us pinned back most of the game was a stroll and we seldom looked in any real danger for the majority of the match.

Draper should have put us one up when he good play down the right between Mulraney and Mckay found him lurking just outside the six yard area but he shot straight at Bain who turned it over. The opening goal came down the same side when Mckay sent a cross in and it was met by the head of Doumbouya who flicked his header beyond the diving Bain. A well deserved lead for ICT and a second came when King broke into the box and was bundled over by Etxabeguren. Looked like the incident took place just inside the very corner of the box so a penalty was the right call. Tansey easily beat Bain to put Inverness firmly in control.

Whilst we still looked comfortable for the majority of the first half there was a couple of times where we were slack when defending. Mulraney and Polworth both had their pockets picked which led to decent chances for Dundee. Polworth got an earful from Warren as sophia mentions for his blunder. Dundee as trialled a rather odd corner routine which saw about 5 of their players line up beyond the back post on the goal line and then charge to the penalty spot when as the corner was taken. The ball sailed over all of them.

Start of the second half saw Dundee really hem ICT in as they tried to get a goal back but for their pressure they didn't really create anything of note and Inverness killed the game off when Draper tussled with McGowan and the ball fell to Brad "Feed the Wolf" Mckay and he charged forward towards the Dundee goal and played in Polworth who finished low past Bain. Polworth almost set up a fourth goal for ICT when he seized on a loose backpass, rounded Bain and teed up Mulraney who shot straight at Bain who had gotten back to his goal. Warren, Draper and Mckay all then head efforts cleared off the line in quick succession as Dundee failed to clear a corner. Low got one back for Dundee from a free kick but it was scarcely deserved given how poor they had been.

Great performances from the likes of Mckay, Warren and Polworth yesterday. Polworth started alongside Tansey with Vigurs dropping out and he later swapped with Draper to play behind the striker for most of the second half and he was buzzing all over the park. Very impressive game. Mckay was solid again at right back and I felt he linked well with Mulraney who tormented the Dundee left back for most of the game. Two assists as well for the hungry wolf. Not bad at all and delighted at how wrong Ihave been about the guy so far. Long may it continue!

• Agree 2

Had a brilliant weekend up in Inverness with my wife, who is a confirmed Caley supporter now. Best game I have seen at the TCS, Dundee might not have been brilliant, but you have to beat whats in front of you and Caley's game shaped what Dundee could do. Have to say the defence is looking pretty sound, Tremarco has come on so much in a couple of years, almost Shinnie-like in solidity and influence going forward. Brad Mckay looks a decent full back and had two brilliant assists, can you ask for much more? David Raven is going to have to accept some bit-parts this season (unless there are injuries) but still a pretty useful guy to have around. The front three (or four including Fisher as sub) all impressed me, given they came for bugger all. Wasn't sure what to expect from Doumbouya, but he's definitely an upgrade on the centre forwards we've had in the last season and a half (as is Fisher), quite mobile, decent touch, does a fair bit of work and wins some good headers, but he doesn't use his size to his advantage enough and thus misses out on headers for long balls out of defence, also a bit clumsy in challenges ...but as we say at the Palace, if he was the finished product he wouldn't be playing for us. Overall though Draper had a good game, especially in the first half when he was further forward, yes he can give the ball away, but I think that what happens when you in the thick of it alot.

So all in all the early season doom and gloom, doesn't currently look justified, given what   we had sitting on the bench as well (and no Raven?), but it's a long season of course.

Yet another trip where the weather was pretty good, so another bonus, and we took the train up from Edinburgh to enjoy the trip through the Highlands (which you can do if the advance 1st class ticket is only a tenner!) and also went past Raith Rovers ground in Kirkcaldy which for some reason excited me! (Nice beaches nearby I think which could top off a trip for an away match sometime in the future). Had to laugh at the over officious security at Inverness Airport who made us change our zipped plastic liquids bags for something they approved of, and then gave mine back unsealed, with the statement 'yeah, well, we know the bag will seal' ...seriously? As usual our Easyjet flight back to London was delayed, which is just a bit irritating

• Agree 3

3 hours ago, ictfcsince94 said:

the electric atmosphere at the game was amazing....

It was terribly quiet, embarrassingly so  at times. Even when the penalty was given, and confirmed there was still very little reaction from any stand... Even the goals got a very short and subdued cheer. Even the drumming choir at the front of row E were forlorn looking and resoundly silent until the 3rd goal was scored and even then it was again very reserved.  I found it all very bizarre and at one point during the game it was that quiet I could even hear the "squeak squeak" from one of the gates at the North stand entrance! Given the attendance was semi decent, made it to me feel overall at HT like we were actually losing! Very strange atmosphere 

When the penalty was given nobody knew what the feck had happened for a few minutes as there was a brief stoppage and the ref did not exactly make it clear to the fans what he had given. Anyway, we don't need noise to win, it's overrated.

3 hours ago, CableGuy said:

I've accidentally pasted this and can't seem to get rid of it unless I post it.

This bears no resemblance to any person involved in the SPFL. Regarding their tactics on Saturday.

Edited by 12th Man
  • Agree 1

3 hours ago, CableGuy said:

It was terribly quiet, embarrassingly so  at times. Even when the penalty was given, and confirmed there was still very little reaction from any stand... Even the goals got a very short and subdued cheer. Even the drumming choir at the front of row E were forlorn looking and resoundly silent until the 3rd goal was scored and even then it was again very reserved.  I found it all very bizarre and at one point during the game it was that quiet I could even hear the "squeak squeak" from one of the gates at the North stand entrance! Given the attendance was semi decent, made it to me feel overall at HT like we were actually losing! Very strange atmosphere 

I felt it was a little surreal at times a bit like an end of season tie but instead of us having to battle hard to win the ball as in previous matches we seemed to win the game at a canter even at 3-0 down, Dundee still seemed happy to pass it around their defence.

However I felt the fans were giving more support in the build up play for the third goal, A good 3 points but there were more goals to be had that day.

A daily paper had Tansey as star man 8/10 the rest off the team 7/10 bar one at 6/10. 

Compare that with the Dons 1x8, 2x7, 7x6 and a five. Would be good to collectively maintain the good marks v Hamilton.

• tm4tj unpinned this topic