The Polworth Dilemma

RiG

Where do we play this guy? After last weeks game against Dundee where he turned in an excellent performance playing first alongside Tansey in the middle and then further forward supporting Doumbouya it was somewhat disappointing to see him shunted out to the flanks against Hamilton on Saturday to accommodate Vigurs and as a result he didn't really influence the game.

I'd like to see King and Mulraney or Doran on the flanks with either Draper or Polworth being the striker and the other alongside Tansey. As talented a player as I think Vigurs is I don't think he should be in the team ahead of Tansey, Draper or Polworth.

I know there will be some games where playing someone like Mulraney might not be Foran's first choice as he might be defensively suspect and Polworth might give you a little bit more cover but I think he can really influence a game but to do that, especially against the likes of Hamilton, Dundee etc. he should be played in the middle. 

1 hour ago, IMMORTAL HOWDEN ENDER said:

Simply has to be given a run in central midfield. He is wasted out wide and often looks "lost" as well. Evidently playing out of his preferred position. Vigurs should be Tansey's back up. Leave Draper further forward.

The old Caley git, on this occasion, speaks perfect sense.

3 hours ago, alternative maryhill said:

Agree entirely with the three posts on this topic so far. Also, kudos to RiG for giving Robert Ludlum the name of his next novel in the title to this thread.

I wonder what his Barrowman novel would be called.

Not sure this should be a dilemma any more. Polworth's performance against Dundee, particularly in a more advanced role through the middle solved it. He's done OK in flashes out wide or even as an emergency full back, but looks uncomfortable there. Draper and Polworth switching about in the advanced midfield would keep any defence on their toes.

Certainly don't see his as a winger. He's not particularly fast and not particularly tricky. I see him as having all the right attributes to be a good CM or playing behind the striker. He can find a pass and has the ability to open up defenses, as well as having a good strike on him. I don't think we should be playing Vigurs, Tansey, Draper and Polly all at the same time, that's 4 natural CM's in the team at once!