Scotty

inept. target man shocking, mid field non existent Vigars not interested, Polly not a clue Tansey little better. Must stop myself talking about Ref although he fitted in well with our performance. Vigars started were he left over from the rangers game appeared not interested. Still we got a point not all bad, but cannot take much more of that rubbish

Of the front 5 would be target men we have in the squad Dumbo is the worst. He has no pace, unable to control a ball, cannot win anything in the air , unable to use his size and doesn't know where the goal is. Unfortunately his goal will mean he starts on Wednesday ,

offload  3 and spend the wages on 1 decent front man 

1 hour ago, rocky1 said:

Of the front 5 would be target men we have in the squad Dumbo is the worst. He has no pace, unable to control a ball, cannot win anything in the air , unable to use his size and doesn't know where the goal is. Unfortunately his goal will mean he starts on Wednesday ,

offload  3 and spend the wages on 1 decent front man 

Yes I must admit when I was up for the Dundee game, Doumbouya didn't look the brightest, and seemed unable to use his size to any advantage, although he scored with decent header....he does look a player than will need a fair few chances per goal. Fisher looked a bit more clever when he came on for that game, yet has no better on the strike rate, and what ever happened to Scott Boden, who when he first arrived apparently looked half decent in the league cup games, but is pretty much on the sidelines. The trouble is we are very much fishing in the backwaters for players, Doumbouya has played in the Belgium 2nd division, Fisher came from National League Torquay, and Boden from League 2 Newport...if they were capable players they would have featured for higher level teams. The concept of using all three's wages for one decent player falls apart the moment that one player is injured or suspended, we just about got away with it when we had Billy Mckay, because we also had Andrew Shinnie.

Still rescuing a point when you have had a poor game bodes well for maintaining SPL status....but it will be a long winter at times

I think a draw over the piece was fair. Killie had some good chances in the first half to be out of sight. Coulibaly probably should have had a hat trick. After his penalty, following a clumsy challenge from McKay, he somehow managed to shot straight at OFW from only a few yards out and was then denied by a block by Josh Meekings balls. Tansey and Polworth had a couple of long range efforts but we really struggled to create anything of note in the first half.

Second half we were slightly better as Killie sat in a lot more and looked to hit on the counter. They were really well organised defensively and we found it very hard to open them up. When Killie did threaten we often struggled to clear our lines and on at least two occasions when trying to pass it out from defence played the ball straight back to Kilmarnock. Mulraney was getting caught on the ball with the worst mistake coming when he gave away possession and the ball was crossed for Coulibaly who headed over.

Doran and King came on and this gave us a bit more width but again they were deployed in a way that saw them continuously cutting in on their stronger foot and driving into the middle of the pitch where Killie were at their strongest and easily repelled the attacks simply just by crowding out the Inverness players. Doran scuffed one effort past the post and curled another shot over the bar whilst Doumbouya found a cross ball just out of his reach to direct a header goalwards. Fortunately Doumbouya was on hand to scramble home a truly terrible equaliser when a Tremarco cross from the left was headed back across goal, Killie couldn't clear and Doumbouya somehow squeezed the ball between MacDonald and a Killie defender. 

I'm still puzzled as to why Foran persists with Polworth playing on the right, or left as he did for a fair bit of yesterdays game. He showed against Dundee how tidy a player he is when played centrally and we have a number of players who can play in a more natural wide position now so why continue to force what seems to be a round peg into a square shaped hole. Mulraney started well but faded badly and was culpable for some very poor defensive play giving the ball away in dangerous situations which earned the rebuke of his team mates. Tansey again was below par but we don't really have many options to replace someone like him in the side. Vigurs was a bit better than recent games bit again was no better than okay. Still a real lack of quality up front as well. I'd like to see Fisher start midweek against Motherwell. 

Overall a point is better than nothing but I can't help but feel that we had something of a winning formula a couple of weeks back when we took Dundee apart and then for some reason we've changed that set up. I know you can't play the exact same way every week against different teams but there seemed to be little reason to change things. Particularly when it's the same issues every week that seem to give us problems.

Strange how fans see some things differently. First of all, have to agree a poor game overall but cannot agree over some of the comments on certain players. The criticism of Vigurs by many is harsh as he certainly put in the effort as far as I was concerned and played himself out of some tricky situations well. While Polworth may not be playing in his best/favoured position, he needs to accept that he must learn to play there and not look so lost at times. He is after all a professional footballer. Dounbaye played a bit better and did win quite a few balls in the air. He was however continually fouled while challenging for the ball (Killie players using their arms to jump over him or wrap their arms around him) which made it difficult for him. Some posters have to remember where our strikers have come from and to expect them all to hit the ground running is simply not realistic. Remember how slow some of our best goal scorers started slowly (Wyness/Dargo/Mckay) so give them some time. Someone commented earlier that the subs were okay except Boden. Given he was on the field for the least amount of time, this was harsh and I thought he did okay and complemented Dounbaye. We seriously, in my opinion, need to experiment playing with two strikers.

The reality is that too many players had a bad day at the office yesterday which I am sure they will admit. It also has to be understood that our new manager will make mistakes as that is the only way he will learn. Some things he has picked up such as better use of subs and trying to win/draw late on in games which his predecessor failed miserably at but worringly perhaps he has inherited some of Hughes stubbornness in playing certain player in roles they are not suited to or leave the team unbalanced.

• Agree 3
  • Disagree 1

35 minutes ago, Huisdean said:

We seriously, in my opinion, need to experiment playing with two strikers.

Agree with all of your post, but in particular this! Boden has got quality, but doesn't excel in a lone-striker role and will be more influential as a second striker. Which appears to be something Richie has identified, as the two recent subs appearances he's made has been to come on as the second forward option, instead of a like-for-like swap between fish and doombers. 

Going to stick up for all the players here, who pretty much all had a bad game, but how many of us could do better?? Yes, I know it's what they get paid for bla bla bla, but still!! 

Good post from Huisdean.  I agree with others that it was a poor performance today and that yet again Carl Tremarco was the MOTM.  What I don't agree with many on here is on the performances of Vigurs and Doumbouya.  I thought Vigurs had a pretty good game and put in a good shift.  Doumbouya worked hard all afternoon and whilst he does seem weak in the air, to be fair, he was being continually fouled every time he went for the ball.  When it came to him lower, his first touch was very good but the problem for both him and Vigurs was that there was precious little happening in the space between them. 

Foran was spot on with the three substitutes although I think Mulraney should have been replaced at half time.  It was just one of those days when it wasn't working for him and his decision making was poor, twice taking players on and losing the ball when Mckay had gone on the overlap.  It was a brave decision to take Draper off but it was the correct one.  Draper is usually one of the most dependable players in the side but I can't remember seeing such an anonymous performance from him.  Mckay also had a bad day at the office.

Doran looked good when he came on and was making himself available for the ball far more effectively than Draper and doing a lot more with it when he got it.  He must be close to getting a start, but if he does it is not an easy call to say who drops out and where he would play.  Key for me is having players making themselves available for Doumbouya and not leaving him so isolated.

It may not have been the greatest game we've ever seen but at least we had 11 attempts on goal which is more than in most matches last season.  The big downside for me was the crowd.  After getting a big crowd against The Rangers and playing attractive football this season I was expecting the crowd to be close to 3000.  We weren't even close to that and there was zero atmosphere.  

• Agree 2

From a psychological perspective it is common that, in the event of a loss or a poor performance, there is considerably more chance of impulsive, reactionary posts in the immediate aftermath (pisshed as well) and there is considerably more chance of more reflective, positive past after having a day to sleep on it. Still it would be a feckin bore if we all agreed with each other.

5 hours ago, Huisdean said:

Strange how fans see some things differently. First of all, have to agree a poor game overall but cannot agree over some of the comments on certain players. The criticism of Vigurs by many is harsh as he certainly put in the effort as far as I was concerned and played himself out of some tricky situations well. While Polworth may not be playing in his best/favoured position, he needs to accept that he must learn to play there and not look so lost at times. He is after all a professional footballer.

The reality is that too many players had a bad day at the office yesterday which I am sure they will admit. It also has to be understood that our new manager will make mistakes as that is the only way he will learn. Some things he has picked up such as better use of subs and trying to win/draw late on in games which his predecessor failed miserably at but worringly perhaps he has inherited some of Hughes stubbornness in playing certain player in roles they are not suited to or leave the team unbalanced.

Bit of a contradiction there...   should he have seen what we all see that when Polworth plays in the middle of the park he plays well, however he's played wide and he looks lost!

Draper is better being played middle of the park, Vigurs did feck all of any danger yesterday, don't think he was anywhere near the Killie box during the game, he should have been off at half time, Draper back to middle and Doran on the left.

54 minutes ago, caley100 said:

Vigurs did feck all of any danger yesterday, don't think he was anywhere near the Killie box during the game, he should have been off at half time, 

The manager singled Vigurs out for praise in his post match interview and said he was "magnificent".  I think that is stretching it a bit but I certainly thought he played better than for a while and was the pick of the midfield.  No way will he be left out for the next game!

11 hours ago, DoofersDad said:

The manager singled Vigurs out for praise in his post match interview and said he was "magnificent".  I think that is stretching it a bit but I certainly thought he played better than for a while and was the pick of the midfield.  No way will he be left out for the next game!

He's obviously been on the Gordon Strachan school of coaching!

you've got to remember that managers/coaches watch the game differently to fans. And whilst most fans are guilty of watching the ball, and players on the ball, you also have to take into account the work done off the ball, and this isn't always tracking a player from one box to the other,, there are lots of subtle things our midfielders do.  I think Vigz gets a lot of unfair stick because he isn't so 'obvious' and can appear to not be trying. 

I actually thought Doran was poor because his choices are wrong - appears to be selfishly 'trying too hard' to get that goal and 'prove his worth'.  an assist is better than an off-target shot IMO.

anyway, we're all forgetting the important outcome of Saturday's match..... #topsix 

bring on the 'well

#COMEONTHECALEYJAGS #PRIDEOFTHEHIGHLANDS

• Agree 2

21 hours ago, caley100 said:

Bit of a contradiction there...   should he have seen what we all see that when Polworth plays in the middle of the park he plays well, however he's played wide and he looks lost!

Draper is better being played middle of the park, Vigurs did feck all of any danger yesterday, don't think he was anywhere near the Killie box during the game, he should have been off at half time, Draper back to middle and Doran on the left.

But the point is that he has now played there often enough to improve in that position but looks to have not learned anything. That is not good enough I'm afraid. The manager is trying to accommodate the midfielders he has so someone has to play out of their favoured position at times. Better to play surely than be on the bench but if Polworth cannot adapt then something needs to change. I genuinely think that we cannot play both Vigurs and Polworth they way Ritchie wants the team to play now but that is up to the manager. 

8 minutes ago, Huisdean said:

But the point is that he has now played there often enough to improve in that position but looks to have not learned anything. That is not good enough I'm afraid. The manager is trying to accommodate the midfielders he has so someone has to play out of their favoured position at times. Better to play surely than be on the bench but if Polworth cannot adapt then something needs to change. I genuinely think that we cannot play both Vigurs and Polworth they way Ritchie wants the team to play now but that is up to the manager. 

I see what you are getting at, but the manager should have noticed and/or been advised that Polworth has a favoured position in which he plays best and we get a better player for the team.

I still think there is a lack of pace in our midfield or the lack of desire to drive towards the box looking for the ball, Liam has done this before and can be effective, but its not going to happen if he's stuck out wide.

Vigurs, however will never be a box to box type player. 

Just thought I'd say..................

Attendance 2315 (913 fans) Thank you all

As you can see, that's with 913 Dons fans. We had a poor crowd against Killie (2591), but they looked to have only around 80 to 100.

Just shows the state of Scottish football.

And they don't need fans, they have just knocked us out of the top-six for now after beating Aberdeen.

• Scotty unfeatured and unpinned this topic