Sporting Intelligence Figures

IMMORTAL HOWDEN ENDER

These tables are always interesting, but deeply flawed. 

I suspect they've got teams 1 to 5 in the right order, along with Hamilton 12th. There's probably not much difference between the teams in 6th to 11th but I certainly wouldn't expect us to be at the top of that group - remember for example that we recently tried and failed to lure a couple of players from Partick, and St J have outbid us before.

• Agree 1

Pretty meaningless without other information like total wage budget and number of players used per team. The obvious eye catcher is that we apparently pay our players more on average than RC. That might not be too much of a surprise I guess as I do wonder if our squad are relatively closely matched in wages whilst RC have big earners like Davies 'offset' by players like Dingwall? I've no idea obviously and few will do without this other missing information. Until then these figures should be taken with an enormous amount of salt.

2 hours ago, Yngwie said:

These tables are always interesting, but deeply flawed. 

I suspect they've got teams 1 to 5 in the right order, along with Hamilton 12th. There's probably not much difference between the teams in 6th to 11th but I certainly wouldn't expect us to be at the top of that group - remember for example that we recently tried and failed to lure a couple of players from Partick, and St J have outbid us before.

Not sure where the info comes from and how reliable it is (previous year's accounts perhaps?) but unless things have changed our philosophy has always been 'decent' wage with high bonuses. It tends to mean we dont have a huge wage bill but bonuses eat up more of any windfall we get (like cup money). This can inflate our wage bill one season and look like we have made severe cuts the next but putting it in this context is akin to square peg / round hole. 

Unlike MLS where player salaries are actually published twice a year by the player's union (https://www.mlsplayers.org/salary_info.html) there is no public disclosure of salaries in most leagues around the world and the page detailing the methodology they use to calculate this uses a lot of flowery language to basically say they are guessing the numbers. They may be informed guesses perhaps, but they are guesses nonetheless, no actual data and with a salary spread so small in the SPFL outside the expected big 4 its basically meaningless.  http://www.sportingintelligence.com/finance-biz/sports-salaries/

I have blogged about the figures here - http://nareystoepoker.blogspot.co.uk/2016/11/scottish-premiership-wages-201617.html

The editor of the survey was kind enough to reply to my emailed queries and give more of an explanation of how they came up with the numbers.

• Agree 2

As with any statistics they can be interpreted in many ways. Its not clear if this is just first team (squad) therefore will depend on how strong your first team is and how many youngsters are part of that. In a club with a large registered senior playing staff then that can bring the average down dramatically - based on the lack of depth and youngsters in our squad it maybe brings our figure upwards.

There may be clubs with players such as Ross County, St Johnstone etc who have certain players who although play for the club are paid outwith the general club payment structure either by individual investors or holding companies - its well rumoured that some of the RC players are paid by Roy and not the club, would suspect they are not the only club doing this - was Motherwell and Faddy not another along with Killie & Boyd.

What we can take from this is that Celtic have a lot of money and should have the best squad, then the sequential order of the top 4 is as expected although Hearts may be lower due to having such a large squad with more youngsters than Aberdeen which suggests the gap. Nothing there is new or a surprise really.

6 hours ago, hislopsoffsideagain said:

I have blogged about the figures here - http://nareystoepoker.blogspot.co.uk/2016/11/scottish-premiership-wages-201617.html

The editor of the survey was kind enough to reply to my emailed queries and give more of an explanation of how they came up with the numbers.

Think your fairly spot on with your assessments ... its still guess work, but yes, its probably the closest we have to being the most accurate guesswork around when it comes to the SP(f)L .... Would have been interesting to see what would have been in the figures from the cup winning year given we paid out substantial bonuses to the squad for the success that season but overall its not a total surprise. 

14 minutes ago, Scotty said:

Think your fairly spot on with your assessments ... its still guess work, but yes, its probably the closest we have to being the most accurate guesswork around when it comes to the SP(f)L .... Would have been interesting to see what would have been in the figures from the cup winning year given we paid out substantial bonuses to the squad for the success that season but overall its not a total surprise. 

So, am I understanding correctly - 

While we may initially be surprised that ICT are so high up the list, this is likely explained by the fact that we have a relatively small squad, with less youngsters to bring the average down? So our total wage would likely put us lower down the table.

Any way you look at it, it's a lot of money for kicking a bag o wind around on a Saturday afternoon.... where's Charlie with his essays of rants...??   :whistle:

4 hours ago, ictfcsince94 said:

it's a lot of money for kicking a bag o wind around on a Saturday afternoon.... where's Charlie with his essays of rants...??   :whistle:

I'm here and will be the epitome of brevity. Quite frankly the whole survey looks like a tissue of pretentious, unscientific cr*p based on speculation, guesswork, wishful thinking, spin, unreliable anecdote and a totally flawed statistical method. And that's even before you apply the "average £ per week" operation. Average? Across how many players? And how many weeks? The full 52 or some number short of that reflecting when contacts start and finish? The scope for errors is massive. At best, this "study" tells us the long-established bleeding obvious ... the OF pay silly money way above everybody else and fall massively short of getting value for it.

So yes, "a lot of money for kicking a bag o wind around on a Saturday afternoon" indeed.... especially when most people would actually pay for the privilege of giving Jim Traynor a good kicking! :lol:

Edited by Charles Bannerman

Nice try IHE, looks like you have been shot down in flames though.

However at least it gives us some idea of the money floating around the league and gives rise to thoughts of what it would be like success -wise if there was a level playing field on expenditure on wages bonuses and perks. Not that I am advocating this as it would never happen but it would be an eye opener on the management and skills of Clubs.

So to Saturday and another chance to bring down one of the bigger fish.

Hope we have allocated a seat in the stand for McInnes when he loses the rag and is sent to the stand.......I would suggest the North Stand would be suitable for him.

If you have been reading up on the J. Barton fiasco at Ibrox you will see how much money terminating his contract is going to cost the Rangers F.C.to allow them to be able to unceremoniously kick him out. Literally hundreds of thousands of pounds. The word is that he could not stand the heat of his comments being ignored on the training ground, general big-headedness and the shock of finding out that his skills were not quite up to dealing with some of the more audacious and younger players in the Scottish Premier League who promptly showed him up by beating him handily  on more than one occasion.  Coming from the glories of the English League to the lesser lights in Scotland doesn't seem to have quite worked out for Joey.

(Isn't a Joey a Kangaroo in Australia?)

4 hours ago, Scarlet Pimple said:

The word is that he could not stand the heat of his comments being ignored on the training ground, general big-headedness and the shock of finding out that his skills were not quite up to dealing with some of the more audacious and younger players in the Scottish Premier League who promptly showed him up by beating him handily  on more than one occasion.    

He probably sh*t it that he'd have to face Draper IMO.

Edited by bdu98196
Brutal honesty

10 hours ago, IMMORTAL HOWDEN ENDER said:

It was initially posted to simply bring some life to the forum but there are many ex players and managers who have commented that it is very, very close to reality. 

Equally there are a lot of former players and managers commenting that some of the figures are laughable. Almost all of them cited the numbers for Ro$$ Bounty.