Black Friday

broomie boy

I had my eye firmly on avoiding this latest cynically and commercially driven American import and deliberately purchased nothing all week. 'Black Friday' 'Trick or Treating' instead of guising, before we know it we will be being encouraged to celebrate Thanksgiving.

Edited by Kingsmills

On 11/24/2016 at 1:54 PM, IBM said:

It's all a con!  I was looking at the price for a camera a few weeks ago on Currys website and received an email listing the same camera in their event...................at the same price :blink:

It's not a con, it's just that some retailers are a bit half hearted and only do BF because everyone else does. If you know how much a particular item should cost and can therefore identify a genuine bargain, there are great deals to be had.  And its great for consumers that these sales occur before Christmas.

I'd been looking for some flights for next year, checking prices every single day for a couple of months wondering whether to wait longer or take the plunge.  Suddenly BA do a 1 day BF sale and I made my move, saving £500 on the price before and since.

On 11/29/2016 at 6:30 AM, Kingsmills said:

this latest cynically and commercially driven American import and deliberately purchased nothing all week. 'Black Friday' 'Trick or Treating' instead of guising, before we know it we will be being encouraged to celebrate Thanksgiving.

Well all traditions have to start somewhere and many of them are imported (eg Xmas trees) so maybe it could happen one day.

One American import for which all parents should truly give thanks is the carving of pumpkins instead of turnip!

• 3 weeks later...

Thanks to Black Friday, I saved £15 on 2 PS4 games my son was after for his bday. BUT, i think for the most part, BF is an opportunity for comapnies to offload old stock that they are struggling to shift. kidding people into thinking they are getting a real bargain.