St Johnstone -V- Inverness CT

Scotty

Lots of disappointment and fear for the future here ... but we are still the only league team to have taken points off Celtic. It just seems that when we are bad, we're awful. I wasn't at the game today. My son's primary school supplied ball boys to Borough Briggs so I took in Elgin's demolition of Montrose ably assisted by man of the match, ex-ICT Shane Sutherland. As someone who trekked down to Alloa (with family in tow) midweek early season for the League Cup horror show, I fear all the ingredients may be set for another humbling cup upset if we don't pick up our ideas over the next few weeks. Given some of the songs I heard today, some of the good folks of Elgin may be thinking the same thing.

• Agree 1

Criticising the team on this forum is fair enough (I do it myself) but it would carry a bit more weight if people supported the team a bit more on match days.  Let's face it, we don't exactly provide much encouragement for the guys on the park, especially when they really need a lift from the crowd.

We've actually played some pretty decent stuff at home this year and it has been a good bit more entertaining to watch than last season.  Yet crowds are poor, we make very little noise and as soon as the performance drops of a bit we moan like hell.  I have to say I was rather embarrassed when Aberdeen's 3rd goal went in the other week and about half of the already sparse home crowd got up and headed for the gates.  I know it was disappointing, but just what message does that give to the players!

We are a small club with a small budget and a small squad which is currently badly hit by injuries.  It's at times like this that the team really need to see and hear the support of the fans.  Next week's match against Hamilton is now one we really need to win or we could risk becoming isolated at the bottom.  Hamilton are also struggling having only won twice all season so this is a game we would normally be expecting to win.  It will be depressing in the extreme if we lose.  So let's get behind the team rather than getting on their backs.  We want our team to do well, so lets give them a bit of help and show our positive support on Saturday.

• Agree 4

Worrying result but having played Celtic Aberdeen and Hearts all recently we have to look to kick on for the rest of December. Poor results against St J and Dundee granted but we're no worse than many teams around us.

A little change of tactics and personnel might be worth a cracking.  4-3-3 with Draper sitting in front of the defence. Ideally Polworth and Vigurs would be in front. Let them play. Tansey hasn't really justified a spot of late. Obviously with Polworth being injured we have to look elsewhere. perhaps give Cole a run there.

Think we have to stick with Doumbouya flanked by King and Doran.

Key is stopping the leaking defence and another defensive midfielder in January would be great to put it there.

Keep the chins up.

9 hours ago, DoofersDad said:

Criticising the team on this forum is fair enough (I do it myself) but it would carry a bit more weight if people supported the team a bit more on match days.  Let's face it, we don't exactly provide much encouragement for the guys on the park, especially when they really need a lift from the crowd.

We've actually played some pretty decent stuff at home this year and it has been a good bit more entertaining to watch than last season.  Yet crowds are poor, we make very little noise and as soon as the performance drops of a bit we moan like hell.  I have to say I was rather embarrassed when Aberdeen's 3rd goal went in the other week and about half of the already sparse home crowd got up and headed for the gates.  I know it was disappointing, but just what message does that give to the players!

We are a small club with a small budget and a small squad which is currently badly hit by injuries.  It's at times like this that the team really need to see and hear the support of the fans.  Next week's match against Hamilton is now one we really need to win or we could risk becoming isolated at the bottom.  Hamilton are also struggling having only won twice all season so this is a game we would normally be expecting to win.  It will be depressing in the extreme if we lose.  So let's get behind the team rather than getting on their backs.  We want our team to do well, so lets give them a bit of help and show our positive support on Saturday.

Agree with most of this tbh. I do think Caleyaway did a fairly good job yesterday of encouraging the guys. There was singing and chanting up until the 3rd goal. Players expressing their gratitude of the support on twitter. 

Would be nice if we could carry this on at home. 

• Agree 2

The team need to show us something to get remotely excited about. I've not witnessed too much of this great home performances. We are very fragile and easily turned over. We are in trouble and Hamilton game is as important as all of our remaining games but it does take on an extra dimension now. 

Three wins in sixteen league games is relegation standard. Four defeats in a row is relegation standard. Conceding the most goals in the league is relegation standard. Taking points off Celtic will not guarantee our Premiership status. As disappointing as they are, injuries are part and parcel I'm afraid and the problem created by no money and hence a weak and wafer thin squad just exacerbates that. Leaving the stadium in the 90th minute against Aberdeen does send out a message to the players. It should tell them that the fans are not happy with what we are seeing. Fair game if you ask me. Will I stay for another couple of minutes to watch joyous Aberdeen players and fans. Not likely, I'd rather poke my eyes out with a jaggy nettle. I'll still turn up and give it a go, but the standard of play and the way we go about it is making it difficult to give me much hope for the future. Prove me wrong please.

Disgruntled.

• Agree 5

44 minutes ago, tm4tj said:

The team need to show us something to get remotely excited about. I've not witnessed too much of this great home performances. We are very fragile and easily turned over. We are in trouble and Hamilton game is as important as all of our remaining games but it does take on an extra dimension now. 

Three wins in sixteen league games is relegation standard. Four defeats in a row is relegation standard. Conceding the most goals in the league is relegation standard. Taking points off Celtic will not guarantee our Premiership status. As disappointing as they are, injuries are part and parcel I'm afraid and the problem created by no money and hence a weak and wafer thin squad just exacerbates that. Leaving the stadium in the 90th minute against Aberdeen does send out a message to the players. It should tell them that the fans are not happy with what we are seeing. Fair game if you ask me. Will I stay for another couple of minutes to watch joyous Aberdeen players and fans. Not likely, I'd rather poke my eyes out with a jaggy nettle. I'll still turn up and give it a go, but the standard of play and the way we go about it is making it difficult to give me much hope for the future. Prove me wrong please.

Disgruntled.

Sums it up perfectly! Well said 

Iam so pleased that many folk have cheered up a bit since yesterday.

Next project is to give Hamilton a good beating and get a little bit more confidence and belief among the players who have sadly forgotten how to win meantime.

My own view is Ritchie needs to have a plan when we take the lead in game, being 2 - 0 up to Hearts for me and many others sadly, was a tough one. 

I have always been of the belief that your day's work really starts on a pitch when you take the lead in any game

Onwards and upwards!

Best part of the day was going in to Dunkeld with the Supporters Bus on the way home - we might repeat that again.

We looked good going forwards but we took too long get backwards to provide cover when we eventually lost the  ball - in my mind Cole has not really learnt how hard we work our midfielders in Inverness.

I was impressed with Iain Vigurs work-rate and general approach to the match, Carl Tremarco also gets pass marks, as does Lonsama Doumabaya, the rest rest average.

Was it some just me or were St Johnstone players a wee bit prone to going down too easily? The referee was poor.

• Disagree 1

This team at the moment reminds me of Brewsters team during his last few months in control(second spell), very little confidence in themselves or indeed management/tactics.

Brewsters team always seemed to start ok, playing the ball about without causing much problem to the opposition, but when (not if) the other team scored it was like watching a meltdown of real footballers into subutteo players.

If Foran has highlighted the need for more defensive players, does this mean he's admitting that he has recruited the wrong players pre-season? and that this situation might have been avoided?

I wonder if Foran has the balls to get us out of this predicament, he certainly has little experience and he will have to rely on Rice and Kellacher to help.

Hamilton game should show us what the players are about.    swim or sink.... 

I won't repeat much of the negatives expressed above as many sum up how I felt. So disgusted was I that I left the ground after the third goal with about 8 minutes to go, something that I don't normally do.

In leaving early to find my car in the car park this brought me into contact with many of the St Johnstone young soccer casuals, the Fair City Unity (scumbags). They too left early to go round to our end of the ground, with the intention of spoiling for a fight. Seeing what was about to unfold I spoke to stewards and also let them know my feelings about their behaviour during the match. I mentioned that our stewards would not tolerate that from our fans. I got a sort of explanation along the lines that as they are contained to one area of the ground and watched it was okay, but not in my book. I trust that there was no trouble with our young fans as I might have heard about it on here. Hopefully my warning to the stewards worked.  

This is the same crowd of youngsters that were misbehaving outside our stadium at the end of August and on their journey back along Longman Road into the city centre. I for one don't like to see this and feel that it needs to be stamped out and I'm minded to write to St Johnstone FC about it. I doubt these youngsters try that when their team are up against clubs with bigger supports - they'd certainly get a good kicking if they tried anything outside Ibrox or Celtic Park.      

Edited by Row S

At the risk of appearing simplistic and harsh, what the hell is going on with these players just now!! I have only the sportscene highlights to go by, but once again we looked lethargic, unorganised, disinterested, I could go on...it's one thing losing to a better team if we at least tried everything we could, but everything I saw just looked like a team lost and leaderless. As much as injuries played a part in this game, I'd have thought that would have made the rest even more determined to get something out of it. Everyone looked content to leave the ball for someone else, and the lack of communication was shocking. Michaels comment on sportscene was spot on, rather than start looking for new defenders to buy Richie needs to concentrate on properly training the ones he's got to do the job we know they are capable of before we are left adrift at the bottom

• Agree 2

I watched the Alba highlights which gave a good coverage of play from both teams perspective and yes the lack of communication was the most obvious of our many faults.

The first thing the players should have done after the match and in the presence of R F is watch a play back of that game, the second thing was to have the same people brought together on Sunday morning to watch it all again and to go over every move, then individually explain in front of everyone their part and what should have been done where involved and / or should have been involved in. Sparks would fly and noses would be rubbed in their ****. Perhaps then they would start getting their act together.

There are good players there but what happened to the Team play, and the urgency that we were renowned for? It was sadly lacking .

we looked like a poor Aberdeen side striving to gain individual glory and failing miserably.

We now have the fight of a lifetime on our hands to climb up that table. At worst we will go down a league and maybe never ever get back into the Premier league again. Nobody ICT minded wants that, if there is they should be booted out.

There has got to be a big turn around for the rest of the season it is up to the Board, management, staff and players to ensure we do starting next match onwards.

• Agree 1
  • Disagree 1

• Scotty unpinned and unfeatured this topic