The Pronunciations Thread

Renegade

Lonsana Doumbouya - The Christian name is easy enough but I've mostly heard his surname pronounced by fans as 'Doom-Boy-Ah'.  Now granted, it looks a bit like that to an English speaker, but I watched his game for Guinea on YouTube a few weeks back and it had French commentary.  They pronounced his name 'Doom-Boo-Ya' which does sound more French.

Owain Fôn Williams - Now this is one that no-one seems to get it right at all.  First of all I've heard some fans referring to him simply as 'Williams'.  This is wrong and would be akin to calling someone with the surname MacDonald as 'Donald'.  His first name is not pronounced like Owen or 'Oh-Wayne' as some seem to think.  It is in-fact 'Oh-Ine' (Ine sounding like wine with the W taken away).  His surname is also not pronounced 'fon', it is in-fact pronounced as 'Vorn'.  I've also been told by a Welsh speaker that the Williams is not pronounced as it would be for a non-Welsh person, as in Welsh you actually acknowledge the A, meaning 'Will-Ee-Ams' is how to say it.  Altogether, the correct pronounciation is 'Oh-Ine Vorn Will-Ee-Ams'.

I expect these to be pronounced correctly by all fans from now on. :smile:

Edited by Renegade
  • Agree 3
  • Funny 1

How do people pronounce Foran (and to a lesser extent Doran) by the way? I've always called him For-Ann like you're saying 'for Anne' but is that how he says it? I seem to recollect Terry Butcher putting an emphasis on the Ran part but I don't know if he's right. 

It's actually perfectly correct to call OFW "Mr Williams" and technically the Fon should be attached as part of the forename "Owain Fon".

It's through choice that Fon Williams is used on his shirt etc.

Fon means Origin or Source....but not Son Of, which is a common mistake.

Unless you have a Welsh accent, then pronunciation of Owain is O Wain and not Oh Ine or Oh Wine (as OTJ pronounced his).

Not a problem after this week as he is now known as Lazarus.

• Agree 1

1 hour ago, Renegade said:

My mother happens to be Welsh and is a Welsh speaker. She pronounces it 'Oh-Ine'.  It's not Owen anyway, like people used to constantly refer to OTJ as. 

I'll go back and tell OFW he's getting his own name wrong then!!

• Sad 1

1 hour ago, bughtmaster said:

perhaps the most mispronounced name of all on this thread could be renegade  ......which I believe should be pronounced re. negate.....:blink:

I don't get it.

10 minutes ago, CaleyD said:

I'll go back and tell OFW he's getting his own name wrong then!!

Yes, please do. I like his paintings by the way!

• Funny 1

I think the error here is to assume there is actually a correct way of saying any name.  Just as people in different parts of Scotland pronounce things differently depending where they are from, so do people in Wales.  It is not always simply the distinctive accents, but which syllable you emphasise.  An example of that would be  the name Lamont and, of course, with regard to place names, Balloch is pronounced up here very differently to the Balloch close to Glasgow.  

Surely the thing is to respect the way the owner of the name pronounces it and do the best you can within your normal accent to follow that.  An exception to that general rule of courtesy would be if you were ever to meet a real life Hyacinth Bucket.

Perhaps we should get Dean Brill back :tongueincheek:

• Agree 1

5 minutes ago, DoofersDad said:

I think the error here is to assume there is actually a correct way of saying any name.  Just as people in different parts of Scotland pronounce things differently depending where they are from, so do people in Wales.  It is not always simply the distinctive accents, but which syllable you emphasise.  An example of that would be  the name Lamont and, of course, with regard to place names, Balloch is pronounced up here very differently to the Balloch close to Glasgow.  

Surely the thing is to respect the way the owner of the name pronounces it and do the best you can within your normal accent to follow that.  An exception to that general rule of courtesy would be if you were ever to meet a real life Hyacinth Bucket.

Perhaps we should get Dean Brill back :tongueincheek:

This.

• 10 months later...

Owain Tudur Jones has a new podcast (worth a listen by the way).  He pronounces his name in it as Oh-Ine Tid-ear Jones.  If I hear anyone calling him 'Owen Tudor' again I will not be a happy bunny.

Edited by Renegade

2 hours ago, Renegade said:

Owain Tudur Jones has a new podcast (worth a listen by the way).  He pronounces his name in it as Oh-Ine Tid-ear Jones.  If I hear anyone calling him 'Owen Tudor' again I will not be a happy bunny.

Owain is wrong. It's definitely pronounced Tudor and here's the proof .........:wink:

• Funny 2