Scott Boden

CableGuy

I wonder where Bodens future lies at the club, he's obviously fallen right out of favour now and seems highly unlikely to feature anywhere, including the bench. From what I've seen of him both on the training ground warmup and games he has nothing to offer, and it would appear he's in no hurry to improve that situation. Makes me wonder, given we have him for 3 years what Foran plans to do with him. Would it be worth loaning him out in January and at least get something back for him to spend elsewhere? So far he appears to be the worst signing under forans reign 

Isn't he injured just now? 

ETA - I agree, btw, that he has looked the least impressive of Foran's signings - obviously Foran must have seen something that we haven't seen yet, but so far he hasn't shown either the mobility or the presence that our previously-successful strikers have tended to have one of. Would be very surprised to see him written off so soon when he's on a three-year deal though 

Edited by alternative maryhill

I believe he is injured.  out of all the new signings he's by far the least promising. He's by far my biggest disappointment too, as I still believe out of the 3 forwards he "looks" the part... As in he looks smaller and potentially nippy and able to break off and cause back lines real problems, but in reality he has shown none of that and obviously caused foran to go looking again with Doumbouya. I'd love to be proved wrong with him, but I fear we've bought a dud 

Foran said he should be back for next week at killie (with Fisher and hopefully polworth).

He played in the league cup games and scored a few goals in that and has only started 3 games in the SPFL. Just like Fisher i think they both need a run of games in the SPFL and see how they get on instead of getting 10-20 minutes a game. The formation we play doesn't suit Boden as the lone striker.

I thought the guy had loads of potential for the cup matches and even thought he would have been one of the leagues high goal scorers, if it's unlikely he will make the bench then I suppose a loan deal might be handy, it worked well for Barry Robson.

17 hours ago, WYNESS101 said:

Foran said he should be back for next week at killie (with Fisher and hopefully polworth).

He played in the league cup games and scored a few goals in that and has only started 3 games in the SPFL. Just like Fisher i think they both need a run of games in the SPFL and see how they get on instead of getting 10-20 minutes a game. The formation we play doesn't suit Boden as the lone striker.

Agree totally, needs some games. Thought he looked pretty good at the start of the season and offers us something a bit different than the unconvincing system we are playing at the moment.  

Perhaps the South Wales Argus was warning us ??

STRIKER Scott Boden has turned down a fresh Newport County contract to pen a three-year deal with Inverness Caledonian Thistle. The 26-year-old forward was one of the Exiles to be offered new terms by manager Warren Feeney at the end of the season.

However, he has instead opted for a move to the Highlands where he will link up with former County captain Gary Warren. Boden arrived from Halifax Town last summer and was one of the most successful signings made by former manager – and ex-Inverness boss – Terry Butcher. He struck 15 times in all competitions and scored the goal against Barnet that put the Exiles in the third round of the FA Cup for the first time in 30 years. Boden’s form may have dipped along with that of the team towards the end of the campaign but it didn’t stop him from earning a move to the Scottish Premiership. Boden said: “I’m happy to have got everything over the line and I’m now buzzing to get going.” “I’ve had a bit of a look around Inverness and it’s lovely. You only have to speak to a few people as well to realise the people match the place. I look forward to living and playing here.” :crazy:

• 3 weeks later...

It did strike me as odd that any new  player would be given a 3 year deal but I figured that the management knew what they were getting beforehand. ie they felt he was a bit of a cut above. It's unusual for anyone to get more than 1 year. It's like we've jumped to the other end of the spectrum from the lack of security of 12 month contracts to giving out long term contracts that potentially limit options.

He might just need time to adjust though. Look at Billy Mckay. Was hardly prolific to start with.

14 minutes ago, iamthecaptain1 said:

It did strike me as odd that any new  player would be given a 3 year deal but I figured that the management knew what they were getting beforehand. ie they felt he was a bit of a cut above. It's unusual for anyone to get more than 1 year. It's like we've jumped to the other end of the spectrum from the lack of security of 12 month contracts to giving out long term contracts that potentially limit options.

He might just need time to adjust though. Look at Billy Mckay. Was hardly prolific to start with.

Also, not getting any game time....difficult to prove yourself with 5 minutes here or there. 

I maintain that playing him off Doumbouya or Fisher will prove fruitful 

• Agree 2

I remember reading that at the time and being pretty worried, especially when some on here were talking as if he was going to be amazing.  I was also worried when I heard Richie Foran say he was a 'grafter' and that Newport were sad to lose him.  Had we scouted him at all?  So far the views of the Newport fans would be fitting for his performances with us as well...

If you refuse to play him then you don't allow him the chance to fit in and develop. So why the heck did you get him in the first place?

You can't judge a book by it's cover  and you have to read it through before making judgements. Maybe the boy just needs ENCOURAGEMENT.

A great book is...  www.destiniesinmotion.com ........  and, yes, you have to read the reviews first on the website and then  read this large book through to the end to savour the flavour .And, no, it's not just about animals....:clapoverhead::wave: 

• Disagree 1

7 hours ago, Scarlet Pimple said:

If you refuse to play him then you don't allow him the chance to fit in and develop. So why the heck did you get him in the first place? .:clapoverhead::wave: 

Agree entirely ,it is not as if he hasn't a past goal scoring record ,albeit not prolific ,but better than anything we currently have!

If you are not playing you cannot score.

• Agree 1

Disappointing if true especially if Storey doesn't materialise. Don't think he's had a fair go given his early season goals and the fact that our current one-up top system clearly isn't working. Would have liked to see him start much more games alongside either Fisher/Doumbouya.

• Agree 1

I think maybe a few folk are jumping the gun. Like a lot of our players I suspect he's just happy to be home for a wee bit of a break. 

Edited by RiG
Moronic typing.
  • Agree 2

I suspect Boden will have to leave ICT to get a regular start somewhere else.  He is by no means the only striker who, some would say, have not been given a real chance to shine with us.  The prime example, back in 2012, was Sam Winnall, who only got two or three starts, when on loan with us in Butcher's time.  As soon as he returned to England he became a regular scorer with Scunthorpe, and then, for the past couple of seasons, a prolific scorer with Barnsley, in both the English 1st division, and Championship.  So he clearly had talent which Butcher did not see.  I doubt if Boden is in that class, and I doubt we will find out while he is still with us.

• Agree 3

22 hours ago, Caley Mad In Berks said:

I suspect Boden will have to leave ICT to get a regular start somewhere else.  He is by no means the only striker who, some would say, have not been given a real chance to shine with us.  The prime example, back in 2012, was Sam Winnall, who only got two or three starts, when on loan with us in Butcher's time.  As soon as he returned to England he became a regular scorer with Scunthorpe, and then, for the past couple of seasons, a prolific scorer with Barnsley, in both the English 1st division, and Championship.  So he clearly had talent which Butcher did not see.  I doubt if Boden is in that class, and I doubt we will find out while he is still with us.

It's probably a little unfair comparing Butchers use of Winnall and Forans use of Boden. 

Winnall was a kid signed up on loan for 6 months. He obviously had talent but at that stage might not have shown quite enough at SPL level at that point to start every week and score. Obviously he's since developed into a good player. But it's not our job to try loan players out in the hope they'll develop for others unless it's felt he will offer a significant benefit in the immediate term.

Boden on the other hand is 26, had a good goal record at a lower level and has not been utilised, whether it's because he hasn't shown enough, doesn't fit into the current system, isn't fit enough, is no better than others. But there's obviously something he's not showing to give Foran the mind he should play more that he had when he signed.