Scott Boden

CableGuy

2 hours ago, CaleyD said:

Don't forget that he was out for a good bit with an ankle injury.

There's that as well. He might just not be fit enough at the moment/having issues recovering. Ankles can be problematic at times. 

To write him off after 6 months without a sustained run in the side, particularly when few others are taking up the mantle, might be a bit short sighted. 

I'd also hate to see the club have to spend money terminating 2 years of a contract. 

9 minutes ago, forresjags said:

Boden did ok against County and looks like a player that can link up play.

Boden and Fisher upfront against Elgin and lets ditch the lone striker role that creates nothing.

I'd agree. If 3 attacking mids aren't creating for the one striker better to utilise 2 strikers supported by wingers 

• Agree 3

6 hours ago, forresjags said:

Boden did ok against County and looks like a player that can link up play.

Boden and Fisher upfront against Elgin and lets ditch the lone striker role that creates nothing.

Yep, I liked his attitude against County, he didn't get enough time to do much, but he looked keen.

• Agree 1

I thought he did really well when he came on against County. He gives us something different and if he can get a run of games and get a few goals and his confidence up I can see him being a good player for us. Him and Doumbouya up front together could be quite useful.

• 3 weeks later...

So Boden got a long awaited start today and I'm afraid he was absolutely rubbish.  Too slow, no skill, no drive, no desire.  Just hopeless.  Essentially a smaller, English version of Dani Lopez.  Get rid.

• Agree 2

Really disappointed. I've defended him on here time and time again, but he did very little today.  A couple of good pieces of hold-up, but nothing to warrant a start in league games.  He really needed to come on today and have a blinder, but seems a bit like a spoilt child, if the pass wasn't exactly where he wanted, he had a bit of a strop. If his shot didn't come off, he had a bit of a strop.  And in one of these instances, the Elgin boy ran straight passed him and started a wee counter attack!

Counter that with the likes of Polly, who is bad for having a strop himself, tracked a Elgin loon almost the length of the pitch to make up for losing the ball to him.

unfortunately, Boden appears to be a dud. And how many chances can we afford to give him....

Edited by ictfcsince94

18 minutes ago, ictfcsince94 said:

Really disappointed. I've defended him on here time and time again, but he did very little today.  A couple of good pieces of hold-up, but nothing to warrant a start in league games.  He really needed to come on today and have a blinder, but seems a bit like a spoilt child, if the pass wasn't exactly where he wanted, he had a bit of a strop. If his shot didn't come off, he had a bit of a strop.  And in one of these instances, the Elgin boy ran straight passed him and started a wee counter attack!

Counter that with the likes of Polly, who is bad for having a strop himself, tracked a Elgin loon almost the length of the pitch to make up for losing the ball to him.

unfortunately, Boden appears to be a dud. And how many chances can we afford to give him....

Yeh well said about Boden, I truly believe that's his biggest problem he's got a terrible attitude and it's been so obvious to see, so many times even in pre game warm up he looked disinterested and huffy and it came across very strongly in an interview early on in the season, where he seemed very defensive and snappy at the questions he was being asked, that never tells the whole story but combined with the way he plays and reacts on the field suggests his general attitude does not fit with the club. I for one would love to see him come out and make an effort like his life depended on it, to create some sort of reprieve but I genuinely don't think his heart is in it and I truly hope foran can offload him before the end of his contract 

• Agree 1

I'm glad Richie gave him the chance to prove himself yesterday, but relieved that it didn't cost us in the end! Any defender would be delighted to see him on the teamsheet - no pace, poor in the air and limited movement. Anier is much better.

1 hour ago, robbylad said:

That's a worrying indication of Richie's eye for talent.

I might be wrong but was it not Hughes that wanted Boden and the deal was done before Richie was appointed Manager.

His performance on Saturday did seem to present further evidence that he is not yet ready to play in our first team. However, he did have a decent scoring record in a very poor Newport County team and he did seem to have something about him when he first arrived.

Given that he is on a three year contract and rather than writing him off just yet, there is merit, before the transfer window closes, on lending him out to a League 1 or League 2 team for the remainder of the season to give him game time, sharpen him up and perhaps remind him just how fortunate he is to be playing full time football for a living.

I appreciate that any part time lower league club would not want or be able to pay his full salary but even if they paid half or a third, there would be a financial advantage, albeit very modest, to the club as well.

15 minutes ago, forresjags said:

Thought he did ok some of his link up play was pretty good, although seemed to drift out of the game for long periods.

Think we still have not seen the best of him and will get better the more games he plays. 

his link-up play was good, yes, but its his attitude, or apparent attitude that annoys me. he comes across as a petulant child

• Agree 1

16 hours ago, IBM said:

I might be wrong but was it not Hughes that wanted Boden and the deal was done before Richie was appointed Manager.

Richie was appointed on 30th May and the Boden deal was announced on 9th June.  Looks as though discussions would have been going on in the background before Richie was appointed but it would be interesting to know whether he was in a position to stop the deal if he was so inclined.  Hughes certainly made some very uninspired signings and Boden seems to fit the mould of a Hughes signing more than a Foran signing.

He is clearly behind Doumbouya and Fisher in the pecking order and with 2 more strikers signed I can't see him getting much game time for the rest of the season.  I can't see anyone coming in with a bid for him so maybe shipping him out on loan would be the best option.  A bit of game time at a lower level may see him gain a bit more confidence and give him the opportunity to show us all what he is capable of.

i watched him pre-season, and thought he was promising. but since his fortunes have foundered, i see him looking less interested and sluggish and stroppy.  watched him in a development game, when i was shouting for him to get a chance in the first team as a seconf striker, but he again displayed the same characteristics - stooped shoulders, head down, giving up on (possibly not lost, afterall) causes, unhappy when ball isnt exactly where he wants it.  in pre-match warm-ups looks the same as well, reminds me of a teenager who is somewhere he doesn't want to be.

this may not be the case at all, it could just be a body language thing that i'm reading completely wrong, but that's the impression i get from him.  and it was visable throughout Saturday's game.

• Agree 1

4 minutes ago, Huisdean said:

Didn't know we had so many behavioural analyst experts posting on this site.

To be fair to ictfcsince1994, he does say that it's his personal opinion and that he could well be wrong. This is a football forum and it is largely based on personal opinion.