An early New Year message

Yngwie

In 10 of the last 11 seasons, the team that was bottom of the league at the turn of the year has gone on to finish bottom. Don't let that be us. Let's do the business against Motherwell and County in the next few days and give ourselves a much more positive outlook for 2017.

• Agree 2

On ‎27‎/‎12‎/‎2016 at 9:24 PM, Yngwie said:

In 10 of the last 11 seasons, the team that was bottom of the league at the turn of the year has gone on to finish bottom. Don't let that be us. Let's do the business against Motherwell and County in the next few days and give ourselves a much more positive outlook for 2017.

The challenge now is to buck that trend. with the squad spirit we have I am absolutely convinced we can do it. It will help immensely if we as fans don't become too restless or unsupportive and continue to get behind the team. the performances of late have been encouraging we just need the goals to start flowing and a bit of confidence to return.

• Agree 3

40 minutes ago, Kingsmills said:

The challenge now is to buck that trend. with the squad spirit we have I am absolutely convinced we can do it. It will help immensely if we as fans don't become too restless or unsupportive and continue to get behind the team. the performances of late have been encouraging we just need the goals to start flowing and a bit of confidence to return.

Agreed!

Canna just blame the youngsters...it sounded like the entire stadium boo'd the announcement. 

And yes, maybe it was the decision, but by extension also the player. Or are you tryin to say that Vigz wouldn't have been disheartened by that?! 

Whichever way round it is, it's the kind of behaviour I would expect from lessor teams, without our class. We are better than that! 

On ‎12‎/‎27‎/‎2016 at 10:39 PM, 12th Man said:

I would imagine that in the 10 of the 11 seasons mentioned the bottom team had been adrift from the rest of the pack by now.

Although maybe not as many as 10 out of 11, that, I think, is the vital observation. In ascending order, the margins by which the club in question has gone down over the last 11 seasons are - Goal difference (ICT in 2009), 2 points, 4, 6, 7, 2x8, 9, 12, 15, 17. The clear suggestion is that most years, the relegated team was right off the pace so was likely also to have been bottom at New Year. So far this season, after 20 games, ICT are bottom on goal difference and only five points adrift of the top six. It's been very clear for some time that there's very little indeed across the bottom seven so current league positions aren't an accurate predictor. There's every chance that relegation will go right to the wire and I just hope it doesn't boil down to something stupid like a refereeing mistake. The other consideration, though, is that looking at the top of the Championship, I wouldn't necessarily feel too secure either in second bottom place.

On 29 December 2016 at 11:20 PM, Charles Bannerman said:

The other consideration, though, is that looking at the top of the Championship, I wouldn't necessarily feel too secure either in second bottom place.

It's a good point - any of the bottom 7 would have a match on their hands against any of the current top 4 in the Championship. Just goes to show how competitive an extended premiership could be!

I'm not that worried yet. Many of the past 10 years have seen at least one club cut adrift by now, I don't see that happening at any stage this season. Just need a couple of wins on the bounce and you're in the top 6 - we do have the ability to do that.

• Agree 1