Our Winter of Discontent ?

IMMORTAL HOWDEN ENDER

Image result for new beginning quotes and sayings

Or can we move forward and upwards - Ross County away in the league and Elgin City away in the cup must be the juiciest pair of fixtures that we have had in ages. Both are clearly winnable and if a pair of fixtures, given our present predicament, were ever going to be strong motivators then no others could surpass. Then we have three relegation dogfights - Hamilton (away) but Partick Thistle and Dundee (home). Our future will be a lot clearer when the final whistle blows at the TCS on 04/02/2017.

I would welcome 8 points out of 12 and obviously a cup win. Is that too much to ask ?

In a word, no, not to much to ask. Eight points from these four league fixtures will see us clear of the relegation and play off places and put a different perspective on our season.

With wither Hibs or Dundee United to face in the play off, it's almost as important to avoid eleventh place as it is twelfth. By the middle of February I believe our prospects of doing that will be looking much brighter.

We need to get it sorted on the pitch immediately and then take each game as it comes. Too many probaly thought that after Richie won manager of the month that we were on easy street. Lots of games were winnable. Yet here we are probably on the worse run in our history, in danger of being cut adrift, and we still think things will be all right.

Motherwell was a must win according to Richie. Prior to the somewhat fluke opener by Motherwell, my aspiration was not to lose a point as so often happened in the relegation year. Despite a lot of effort, we were unable to fight back. We lost another point. One that would have taken us above Hamilton and kept Motherwell in our sights. 

I suspect we will see some changes for the Ross County game. Lonsana needs a rest. Aaron has a good record against County. Fisher needs a start possibly with Billy on the other wing. We definitely need to freshen up the attack. As for the three in midfield I suspect it will be Drapes, Tansey and Cole or Vigurs. Vigurs is more likely to get the nod because he knows County well, he did work hard against Motherwell and it seems Fulham want Cole back or elsewhere. 

Agree with the above, we need to make changes for the County game and I'll be extremely frustrated if we stay with the same squad that has been so hapless of late. Get Draper back in a defensive midfield role to tighten things up, play with natural wingers like Doran and King or Mulraney and get Polworth in an attacking midfield role.  

In a way this is a great time to be playing a derby match given are current predicament. Form often goes out the window in these games and I remember us hammering them in Dingwall last season when the odds were against us and they had just won the league cup. Let's hope tomorrow is a similar story!

I think we have to stop pretending that we have anything other than a powder puff attack. I am sorry to say that Lonsana has very little to offer other than his height - and winning headers seldom leads to anything useful. He has had long enough now, and I can't see any progress- when he had two clear chances on Wed night he couldn't even test the goalkeeper. 

When Fisher came on, he was immediately more effective, challenging and winning balls, scrapping and harrying. We looked far better with him. And the other change was just as good - Doran suddenly gave more options, through crosses and shots. Cole looks like a promising kid, and should not be preferred over a proven and experienced player. He's a bench player.

Those two should start tomorrow, with Polworth maybe behind Fisher.

On top of that we have to cut out the cheap goals we give away. We are in a relegation battle , no use to pretend otherwise. Those three matches after the break are huge. We may have a couple of players in by then, but we have to shake up the current system, which is not working, Richie.

• Agree 2

If we aren't going to play with two proper wingers, then we need to start playing with two up front or even three.  I'd quite like to see us drop Doumbouya and give Fisher a proper run in the team.  He might not have scored as many, but he seems to have a far greater workrate and more pace than Doumbouya, who seems to be useless unless the ball is played right to him while I've also grown tired of his dying swan impression everytime he feel the slightest touch.  Polworth needs moved into the centre while the lazy Vigurs needs dropped.

I'd like a straight 4-3-3 tomorrow, with Mckay and Tremarco bombing up and down the wings.  It'll certainly serve us better in attack and let's be honest, it can't be any worse.

Edited by Renegade

I agree with giving Fisher a real run out to allow him to  fit in and develop. He's pacy and has a  cracking shot on him.

And giving Monsieur Doumboya a rest may well be a realistic and timely decision. He has offered the odd neat move but he is no Jimmy Johnstone  and is not consistently dangerous is he?:ictscarf:

Oh, and I have always liked Polworth . He has heart and a desire to succeed which I wonder has possibly been drained out of him for lack of recognition.

If the present crop of current consistently selected players are not cutting it then  Mr Foram has to be ruthless and try some others and give some of the former group a rest.:whoosh:

On 30/12/2016 at 5:29 PM, MuirtownJaggy said:

I think the entire team would benefit from spending the Winter in a Disco Tent !!!!! 

Send them down to Tiso's - now is the winter of their discount tent :hiding02:

• Agree 2

On 30/12/2016 at 6:05 PM, Renegade said:

If we aren't going to play with two proper wingers, then we need to start playing with two up front or even three.  I'd quite like to see us drop Doumbouya and give Fisher a proper run in the team.  He might not have scored as many, but he seems to have a far greater workrate and more pace than Doumbouya, who seems to be useless unless the ball is played right to him while I've also grown tired of his dying swan impression everytime he feel the slightest touch.  Polworth needs moved into the centre while the lazy Vigurs needs dropped.

I've never fancied Doumbouya since day 1 at Pittodrie. He looks like he's towing a caravan. Yesterday against Davies confirmed everything you said including the dying swan. Time to give Fisher a run unless we can get somebody in on loan.

• Agree 2

What is the point of a tuskless walrus - I am afraid that he is another example of Foran's annoying stubbornness as he simply strained for a successful signing. He is not SPL standard. Fisher is only slightly better but again neither have been given the opportunity of playing up front with a nippy partner.