HELLGIN AWAY

2 hours ago, CaleyD said:

Was able to get my hands on the official number for visiting fans from the Elgin game at TCS....it was 1184.  Stand capacity is 2496....so not quite half full.

What you are really saying is it was half empty :lol:

6 hours ago, 12th Man said:

I see the Ionic has a bar on the back wall, brings back memories of trying to get served in that bar near Easter road.

The Muckle cross, wetherspoons, is very near the Ionic too if it's a problem getting served,  you can either cross over the A96 at the pedestrian crossing by Halfords or walk further along and take the subway between Tesco and Aldi to get to the ground. 

Cheers to you and RossP for the advice on the various hostelries. As we're hoping to arrive around noon and looking for food and real ale we are minded to try the Muckle Cross and/or the Drouthy Cobbler.  

3 hours ago, CaleyD said:

Was able to get my hands on the official number for visiting fans from the Elgin game at TCS....it was 1184.  Stand capacity is 2496....so not quite half full.

Probably about as many as we'll take to Elgin on Saturday which, considering Elgin is half the size of Inverness, is not bad going on their part. That said, it's fair to say that we've left Elgin behind in just about every other respect.

7 hours ago, CaleyD said:

Yes that how I remember it too :tongueincheek: 

And there were 1,500 ICT fans as well.

4 hours ago, Kingsmills said:

Probably about as many as we'll take to Elgin on Saturday which, considering Elgin is half the size of Inverness, is not bad going on their part. That said, it's fair to say that we've left Elgin behind in just about every other respect.

I very much doubt we'll take over 1k

20 hours ago, Charles Bannerman said:

Being an Elgin City supporter, I am sure that "elginloon" is a modest chap.....

Wow... Charles comes out of the closet :laugh:

Edited by TheMantis
  • Agree 1

https://www.thescottishsun.co.uk/sport/football/442177/scottish-league-two-forfar-and-stirling-finish-all-square-elgin-win-five-goal-thriller-and-arbroath-thump-berwick/

''MARK NICOLSON admits cup fever is gripping Elgin —– and warned Inverness Caley Thistle a major upset is on the cards.

City face the Premiership club in the Scottish Cup this weekend.

And Nicolson — who holds the club record for appearances at Borough Briggs — knows this will be a game in a million for Elgin.

He said: “All the boys are buzzing for next week now. It will be a big game for Elgin and the area as a whole.

“This is my tenth season here and there have been a lot of great matches, but this is one I’m really looking forward to.

“I know a lot of people still think of it as a big derby so there’s going to be a lot of people at the game.

“What I would say is it’s not a game where we are just going to turn up. We are going to go out and try to win it ...''

1 minute ago, CELTIC1CALEY3 said:

''MARK NICOLSON admits cup fever is gripping Elgin —–.

He said: “All the boys are buzzing for next week now."

Yup, all the cup clichés are beginning to appear from the woodwork..... clichés which used to emerge when Thistle or Caley were drawn against one of the country's bigger sides but different days now.

• Disagree 2

6 minutes ago, CELTIC1CALEY3 said:

https://www.thescottishsun.co.uk/sport/football/442177/scottish-league-two-forfar-and-stirling-finish-all-square-elgin-win-five-goal-thriller-and-arbroath-thump-berwick/

''MARK NICOLSON admits cup fever is gripping Elgin —– and warned Inverness Caley Thistle a major upset is on the cards.

City face the Premiership club in the Scottish Cup this weekend.

And Nicolson — who holds the club record for appearances at Borough Briggs — knows this will be a game in a million for Elgin.

He said: “All the boys are buzzing for next week now. It will be a big game for Elgin and the area as a whole.

“This is my tenth season here and there have been a lot of great matches, but this is one I’m really looking forward to.

“I know a lot of people still think of it as a big derby so there’s going to be a lot of people at the game.

“What I would say is it’s not a game where we are just going to turn up. We are going to go out and try to win it ...''

There will be black and white iced cakes in the baker's windows next.

32 minutes ago, Renegade said:

I heard somewhere today we've sold 700 tickets.  Should hit 1,000 by Saturday I'd have thought, along with a few walk ups.

Not clear yet whether tickets will be sold at the ground on the day although common sense would dictate that they should be since it's pretty clear that we are not going to sell our full allocation beforehand.

12 hours ago, RossP said:

I remember delivering the midweek extra newspaper to the ionic as a pre-teen. Total bearpit, but occasionally they'd give me a free tin of irn bru to enjoy, sat next to the nuddy calendar at the bar. 

Ahead of the ionic I would recommend the Old Vic or the White Horse on the west side of the high street. Both are good boozers, that are better than the ionic. The Whiter had/has a great jukebox as well.

For a family friendly pub, I'd recommend the Drouthy Cobbler in the lane next to Muckle Cross (weatherspoons) - it does good food and has a great local beer selection, in bottles. 

Another option would be the Stable bar to the side of the Laichmoray hotel, across the road and a wee bit right of the train station. Pool table, darts and jukebox all to yourself as it's rarely got folk in it. I'd assume it's open from 12 onwards, but can't be certain. 

Family run hotel, I was going to have a chat with the owners to see if they could put out some nibbles for the arrival of train gang but seeing as there won't be much spare time available when the train arrives I didn't see much point.

26 minutes ago, 12th Man said:

Family run hotel, I was going to have a chat with the owners to see if they could put out some nibbles for the arrival of train gang but seeing as there won't be much spare time available when the train arrives I didn't see much point.

Can you ask if they have any spare bricks.

On 16/01/2017 at 8:00 PM, 12th Man said:

On 16/01/2017 at 8:27 PM, IMMORTAL HOWDEN ENDER said:

Can you ask if they have any spare bricks.

They've got an outside tap at the rear maybe you could fill up some water balloons. 

I don't think Elgin Fc would appreciate you playing boules on the pitch with some bricks.

(Are some people daft enough to believe that someone who work in healthcare is going to start lobbing bricks)

Edited by 12th Man

11 minutes ago, 12th Man said:

The town's really getting behind the team, even the local chippie is selling black pudding and white pudding suppers.

Jeez do you lot really think yous are that big look where you are in the premier league we would of much prefered a bigger team but because yous are more local and some people get excited after what happened in highland league days

32 minutes ago, Elginloon said:

Jeez do you lot really think yous are that big look where you are in the premier league we would of much prefered a bigger team but because yous are more local and some people get excited after what happened in highland league days

Forfar ?  :lol: