47 minutes ago, Scotty said:

anyone want to pen a summary / report for the game ? we dont have a match report volunteer for this game (or next week's game). 

I'll give it a go, but go easy on me!

The game kicked off in beautiful sunshine, with ICT facing into a low, irritating sun. Caley Thistle started brightly, with a spell of reasonable pressure culminating in a decent strike from Tansey from the edge of the area which was well parried by the keeper. Elgin responded with some pressure of their own, which was ultimately rewarded with a goal. Vigurs picked up the ball in the deep, but dithered and got dispossessed. In trying to win it back, he made a clumsy challenge, resulting in a free kick on the edge of the box, right of centre. Nicholson hit the free kick low at the right end of the wall. From where I was standing, it went under the last man in the wall and OFW failed to keep it out, despite getting his hand to it. Caley Thistle responded almost immediately, with Doumbouya meeting a great cross to power into the net, but the goal was disallowed, presumably for a push. Undeterred, ICT continued to press and Cole burst into the box down the left, cut in and placed a beauty in the right corner to equalise. Further chances came ICT's way late in the half, with Doumbouya, Cole and Warren all going close. HT 1-1.

The second half was altogether more comfortable for Caley Thistle, with long spells of possession, with Elgin restricted to hitting on the break. Cole was bossing things with pace and tricks aplenty - Elgin had no answer to him. Doumbouya spurned several good headed chances, one well saved, one off the bar and one glaring miss. Vigurs nearly atoned for his mistake, with a great free kick off the bar. Finally, Doumbouya connected with a great cross from Doran (I think) and squeezed it into the net, possibly courtesy of a deflection. While ICT continued to dominate possession after the goal, Elgin looked increasingly dangerous on the break. Anier came on for his debut, with the inneffectual Boden making way. Anier controlled a tricky ball well and hit a good effort straight at the keeper from the edge of the area. In the dying minutes, Elgin created several decent chances, but Warren in particular excelled in blocking close-range shots during the last minute stramash!

FT: 1-2!

Edited by PerfICT
got final score wrong!
  • Agree 2

1 hour ago, cif73 said:

I have been calling for Boden to start and hoped he'd take his chance today. I agree his link up play at times was good but he never looked like scoring and I remember a truly awful lay-off out of play in 1st half. Doumbouya had far more chances and maybe should have scored more but the reality is, without him, we wouldn't have won today. To coin a cliche ... goals win games. 

I had similar thoughts and took a punt on Boden as first scorer for Gringo's NPL in the hope that the lower league opposition could give him the chance for a confidence booster - sounds like he passed up the opportunity.

32 minutes ago, PerfICT said:

I'll give it a go, but go easy on me!

The game kicked off in beautiful sunshine, with ICT facing into a low, irritating sun. Caley Thistle started brightly, with a spell of reasonable pressure culminating in a decent strike from Tansey from the edge of the area which was well parried by the keeper. Elgin responded with some pressure of their own, which was ultimately rewarded with a goal. Vigurs picked up the ball in the deep, but dithered and got dispossessed. In trying to win it back, he made a clumsy challenge, resulting in a free kick on the edge of the box, right of centre. Nicholson hit the free kick low at the right end of the wall. From where I was standing, it went under the last man in the wall and OFW failed to keep it out, despite getting his hand to it. Caley Thistle responded almost immediately, with Doumbouya meeting a great cross to power into the net, but the goal was disallowed, presumably for a push. Undeterred, ICT continued to press and Cole burst into the box down the left, cut in and placed a beauty in the right corner to equalise. Further chances came ICT's way late in the half, with Doumbouya, Cole and Warren all going close. HT 1-1.

The second half was altogether more comfortable for Caley Thistle, with long spells of possession, with Elgin restricted to hitting on the break. Cole was bossing things with pace and tricks aplenty - Elgin had no answer to him. Doumbouya spurned several good headed chances, one well saved, one off the bar and one glaring miss. Vigurs nearly atoned for his mistake, with a great free kick off the bar. Finally, Doumbouya connected with a great cross from Doran (I think) and squeezed it into the net, possibly courtesy of a deflection. While ICT continued to dominate possession after the goal, Elgin looked increasingly dangerous on the break. Anier came on for his debut, with the inneffectual Boden making way. Anier controlled a tricky ball well and hit a good effort straight at the keeper from the edge of the area. In the dying minutes, Elgin created several decent chances, but Warren in particular excelled in blocking close-range shots during the last minute stramash!

FT: 1-2!

Good report, we could have had more goals if we had a decent striker just hope Anier will be an improvement on what we have.

A video clip of the Elgin goal by a "Northern Scot" Elgin press reporter. Described as fabulous free kick by BBC report. I beg to differ. Howler ...

Edited by cif73
  • Agree 1

Oh dear.

Would any of the teams in our league swap their keeper for ours? Based on the last few months I don't think any of them would. Incredible to think that OFW seems to have become the worst keeper in the league when last season he was easily top 6 standard. I just don't get it. :shrug:

• Agree 1

Is OFW still playing with his injury? That could explain his apparent lapses.

I read a report that said Meekings, Draper, Fisher, King and Mulraney were injured. Along with Raven, McNaughton and Horner that makes 8 first team squad members out. Worrying for the league campaign.

I could not be there today but just relieved we are through. Sounds like Cole way e key man and hopefully the win inspires us to turn things round in the league.

Three big games ahead, hopefully at least seven points!

26 minutes ago, Robert said:

Is OFW still playing with his injury? That could explain his apparent lapses.

I read a report that said Meekings, Draper, Fisher, King and Mulraney were injured. Along with Raven, McNaughton and Horner that makes 8 first team squad members out. Worrying for the league campaign.

I could not be there today but just relieved we are through. Sounds like Cole way e key man and hopefully the win inspires us to turn things round in the league.

Three big games ahead, hopefully at least seven points!

Curiously enough they were all injured. Cole was indeed a class act today and his loan extension could be absolutely invaluable.

10 minutes ago, Yngwie said:

Very strange that so many players seemed to get injured during the 3 week winter shutdown. Not for the first time, do we need to ask questions about our training regime?

Yes, it's a regular occurrence. Whatever it is their doing to the players at Fort George... It's not right. Our injury count at training compared to in game is ridiculous 

Winning the match today was more important than the performance because we just needed to win a game and then use this morale and confidence boost for next week.  We played some good stuff today with Cole being involved in many of the good moves. 

we had a good turnout from Inverness and I estimate to be well over 1k.

So good to be in the next round of the cup and to finally win a match.

• Agree 1

• Scotty unfeatured and unpinned this topic