Eastgate redevelopment.

Second Row

When you see the first picture there was a lot of old buildings that were badly in need of demolition!  Don't know about HIL-CHIB but the SAI was easy enough :smile: Who had the Carpet Discount Centre? 

10 hours ago, Second Row said:

I wondered about that.

A gang from Hilton??

That's sort of ringing a bell with me too. Later we had the Hilton Mental Crew (HMC) although I was never sure who they were individually.

By the way, that first photo is reminding me of the mental blank I seem to have about what happened to Hamilton street, as discussed in another thread. Even though I now see Hamilton St in that photo as having a boundary of the Eastgate Car Park along its bottom half or so, I just don't have that in my mind's eye from that period in the 70s and early 80s. Obviously I can visualise the current end wall of Marks and I can also visualise the original Washington Court building before it was demolished. But that edge of the car park being there in between seems to be a bit of a blank.

Edited by Charles Bannerman

14 hours ago, Charles Bannerman said:

That's sort of ringing a bell with me too. Later we had the Hilton Mental Crew (HMC) although I was never sure who they were individually.

By the way, that first photo is reminding me of the mental blank I seem to have about what happened to Hamilton street, as discussed in another thread. Even though I now see Hamilton St in that photo as having a boundary of the Eastgate Car Park along its bottom half or so, I just don't have that in my mind's eye from that period in the 70s and early 80s. Obviously I can visualise the current end wall of Marks and I can also visualise the original Washington Court building before it was demolished. But that edge of the car park being there in between seems to be a bit of a blank.

The mental blank must be an age thing Charles :lol:

---_0197.jpg

February 4th 1977.

One of the buildings to be demolished was the Bonded Warehouse on Millburn Road.

I was able to take some photographs inside in near-darkness (so they are a wee bit grainy), but a fascinating insight to a building to which very few people have access. I often wonder what happened to the cast-iron staircase that went from ground level to the top of the building!

• Like 1

I remember the bonded warehouse when they were pouring drink down the gully's in the street under supervision of the customs but I can't remember the story behind it, IHE might though :smile: 

My wife's grandparent's house on Crown Avenue is in the last picture directly above the Albert Hotel, the one on the right would have been demolished not long after this photo was taken leaving the other two houses which is now the Crown Medical Practice.

3 hours ago, IBM said:

I remember the bonded warehouse when they were pouring drink down the gully's in the street under supervision of the customs but I can't remember the story behind it..........

.......and I think these are the very ones of which you speak!!!---_0191.jpg

3 hours ago, Second Row said:

April 24th 1977.

Here are three photos which show a panoramic view of the site.

---_0291.jpg

A good photo of the old Eastgate Hotel, likely the last we will see of it!  The white Simca van has appeared in a few photos on here.