Eastgate redevelopment.

Second Row

January 10 1985.

As a final parting shot to the Eastgate Redevelopment photos, let me return to the Rose Window which formed part of the former Methodist Church at the corner of Academy Street and Inglis Street. Hopefully, it will be soon be incorporated into some new work.

---_0998.jpg

8 hours ago, dougiedanger said:

keep em coming second row

Carlton, Dunn and co., Leisuropa?

I spent a few good nights in the upstairs in the Carlton, hope you have some from other parts of the old town for a new thread second row :smile:

• 1 year later...
On 1/23/2017 at 1:25 PM, dougiedanger said:

HIL-CHIB ?

The slogan Hil-Chib was sprayed on the wall by a Millburn school pupil to antagonize a gang from the High school who called themselves "The Togs." I think i sprayed it there about 1975 and i had totally forgot about it until i saw it here.Hil-Chib used to hang about the Hilton chipper and Lochardil.

4 hours ago, Dock of the Bay said:

The slogan Hil-Chib was sprayed on the wall by a Millburn school pupil to antagonize a gang from the High school who called themselves "The Togs." I think i sprayed it there about 1975 and i had totally forgot about it until i saw it here.Hil-Chib used to hang about the Hilton chipper and Lochardil.

Thanks for clearing that up!

Bet you never thought that it would be talked about after 40-odd years! (I get the "Hil" bit, where did the "Chib" come from?)

Edited by Second Row

2 hours ago, Second Row said:

Thanks for clearing that up!

Bet you never thought that it would be talked about after 40-odd years! (I get the "Hil" bit, where did the "Chib" come from?)

I suspect that "chib" is a reference to a knife. It's a Glasgow gang word which tends also to be used elsewhere in Scotland.

no photos but I do remember that the logo for the Eastgate Centre was designed by one of my classmates at the High School. There was a competition to design it - cant remember if it was open to all or just for schoolkids - and the winning entry was a certain Colin McNeil of Fairfield Road. Son of Mr McNeil the techie teacher at the high school, and after leaving school and uni he became a well known illustrator of Judge Dredd for the 2000AD comic. Wonder if my mum kept any of my old school jotters .... he used to draw all over them when we were bored in class ..... 

I seem to remember that the chib in Hil-Chib was influenced by a near tragic event that happened in the Millburn school toilets when one pupil stabbed another pupil three times.This event had nothing to do with the "High school Togs."

More than forty years has since passed and sadly, knife crime has become more prevalent in our schools.

Edited by Dock of the Bay
add more

On page 1 of this topic (last picture), to the left of Masons shop, there is a doorway ,and when i Zoom in i can see two young guys there.I know its a long shot,but is there any way to enhance the picture to enable me to identify who the young guys are? It could be me!!

Also to the right of Masons, across the road beside the Plough bar,on the corner (left) there is a large window and white door.This was where Frank Rizza and old man Rizza started their "Buy or Barter" business.I remember going in there to sell a hi-fi system to them.They later moved the business to Castle street where it was also called "Buy or Barter." 

On 1/23/2017 at 9:43 AM, Second Row said:

January 1976. N-W  corner of Falcon Square, showing narrow street between the Station Hotel and Martin's, the House Furnishers.

---_0740.jpg

Time keeps on slippin', slippin', slippin'
Into the future
Time keeps on slippin', slippin', slippin'
Into the future

I want to fly like an eagle
To the sea
Fly like an eagle
Let my spirit carry me
I want to fly like an eagle
Till I'm free
Oh, Lord, through the revolution

The Steve Miller Band 1975

add more

18 minutes ago, Dock of the Bay said:

On page 1 of this topic (last picture), to the left of Masons shop, there is a doorway ,and when i Zoom in i can see two young guys there.I know its a long shot,but is there any way to enhance the picture to enable me to identify who the young guys are? It could be me!!

it appears to be only one figure. White stripe down arm of tracksuit top? The other white spot you are seeing is probably the handle of the door.

(The photo was taken on the 24th April 1977, from a not-very-stable 60' cherry-picker some distance away!)

EASTGATE REDEVELOPMENT - DOORWAY NEXT TO MASONS.JPG

On ‎24‎/‎01‎/‎2017 at 7:13 PM, Second Row said:

---_0197.jpg

February 4th 1977.

One of the buildings to be demolished was the Bonded Warehouse on Millburn Road.

I was able to take some photographs inside in near-darkness (so they are a wee bit grainy), but a fascinating insight to a building to which very few people have access. I often wonder what happened to the cast-iron staircase that went from ground level to the top of the building!

Interesting building, architecturally. Pity it wasn't conserved.

Thanks for enhancing the picture Second Row.I don't think we will ever know who is standing in the door-way? The picture was captured four days before my 17th birthday.Where has time gone?

Really brilliant pictures that certainly brought back memories to me.Thanks for posting.

P.S. The Hil-Chib slogan was sprayed with "Blue" spray paint (LOL) honestly!

On 27/03/2018 at 2:07 PM, Dock of the Bay said:

I seem to remember that the chib in Hil-Chib was influenced by a near tragic event that happened in the Millburn school toilets when one pupil stabbed another pupil three times.This event had nothing to do with the "High school Togs."

More than forty years has since passed and sadly, knife crime has become more prevalent in our schools.

It was a friend of mine that did the deed. He was being badly bullied by one or two I won’t name but you would have known who they were as I’m guessing we are about the same age. He had to finish school at Kingussie high school after doing it. He eventually ended up as deputy Governor at Peterhead prison   He said to us that morning that if they followed him into the toilets and bullied him something was going to happen   Didn’t realise he had a knife though I often wished he had bumped into them after school years later  as he was more than capable of sorting them out one at a time for sure   As soon as he did it he walked straight to the office and told them he had

Edited by jagster

Yes Jagster, it was all to do with bullying.But only one person was involved in the bullying of the lad called D.B. I was in the toilets when it happened and if it was not for a large guy from Hilton called M.A. who noticed the knife and restrained D.B. the outcome would have been fatal.Also the quick thinking of two teachers Piggy Ross and Mr Harper who rushed the victim to hospital in their car, helped to save his life.

I did hear just the other day that D.B. was getting on good in life.I liked the guy in school.The guy who was stabbed died a few years ago.He would have been in his early fifties.

add more

Didn’t realise he had died. Never nice whatever you think of someone. Db was definitely being bullied by more than one though they might not have all been involved at that time. I stayed 3 drs away from him and regularly would cycle my chopper to school with him. Anyhow it’s all in the past now thank goodness   I did at first think you might have been him when I saw the initials of your name. You made me laugh when I saw the name Piggy Ross haven’t heard that in years :laugh:

p.s. don’t remember the name harper what did he teach 

Edited by jagster

Yep,its all in the past now.Mr Harper was a maths teacher.He was Aberdonian,and he was pretty good with the belt.One whose class your were on "good behaviour mode" all the time.

Dock of the Bay is an Ottis Redding song,but i can see your connection.Well observed !

Good to share a piece of the past with you.

2 hours ago, Dock of the Bay said:

Yep,its all in the past now.Mr Harper was a maths teacher. 

Bill Harper was Principal Teacher of Maths at Millburn, I believe. I think he left not long before 1976 which was when I briefly joined the Millburn Maths Dept and the excellent Ruaridh MacDonald was head of department by then.

On that subject, does anyone remember the execrable and self-righteous Bill Greig who styled himself "Senior Assistant Principal Teacher Of Mathematics" - because he had been appointed slightly before Bill Weeks? He was a dreadful individual who was in love with his belt, but at least I got my encounter with the most unpopular and unpleasant colleague of my career over early!