Our former managers

Yngwie

Why did he say something that might seem like a real denigration of Richie? Was it a slip of the tongue or big-headedness or just a rush of blood to the head I wonder. For a man in his position it must look like a touch of sour grapes, eh? Either way it is a classless thing to do, lacks forethought and could come back to haunt him.

When Mr. Hughes was at Hibs (which in itself was a short enough tenure wasn't it?) I used to tune in  to my radio after 5pm to make sure I did not miss his often very amusing and pithy comments which at best were really entertaining. But the way he left ICT was not very cool, apparently, and this legacy is always going to haunt  him in my mind.

The fact that the struggling  club were left on the hook for his substantial salary was a nasty piece of jiggery-pokery because he seems to have taken his time getting into another position. However, I really can hardly see him engineering this move for that reason alone except that if the benefits of such were not clear enough to him at the outset then he was not the smart enough character I had assumed he was. Let's leave it at that.

But Raith Rovers  reminds me of Kirkcaldy where I had my sinuses washed out which was, like the toon, not cool either and this is surely a comedown and a half for him because this is hardly a top flight club...not like East Fife, like, which I once supported.:laugh:.  Unless getting off the Caley dole and into any club is his best move and option to date without which he is hardly ever going to get his foot on the future ladder of success and a return to the game he must love along with us.

Talking about the terrible twins I was listening to Terry Butcher on the wireless the other day commenting to his buddy game reporter or commentator and, boy, did he sound good. I have no time whatsoever for T.B. but he does appear to know his football inside out and seems to be doing very well at the BBC.   :blush:

3 hours ago, Scarlet Pimple said:

Talking about the terrible twins I was listening to Terry Butcher on the wireless the other day commenting to his buddy game reporter or commentator and, boy, did he sound good. I have no time whatsoever for T.B. but he does appear to know his football inside out and seems to be doing very well at the BBC.   :blush:

Maybe Richie should have some clandestine meetings with TB over next few weeks to get some defensive tips !

22 hours ago, Yngwie said:

Did anyone spot this interview with Hughes a couple of weeks ago?  http://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/former-inverness-boss-john-hughes-9789274

"Hughes spent two-and-a-half years as Caley Thistle boss before surprisingly quitting in May 2016. But he loved every minute of his time up north and insisted there was no fall-out with
Inverness chairman Kenny Cameron over budgets. Yogi said: “I was quite happy and had just signed a two-year deal but a few clubs were sniffing about including Dundee United.

“I was content and happy but wanted to move it on in terms of players leaving and new ones coming in. I didn’t fall out with them. Everybody said it was budgets but it wasn’t. I wanted to keep competing, getting into the top six and reaching cup finals. There is a great saying, ‘If you want me to make the dinner I buy the groceries’. I have spoken to the chairman since then and wished him all the best.”

The chips were down for Yogi.

2 hours ago, rocky1 said:

Maybe Richie should have some clandestine meetings with TB over next few weeks to get some defensive tips !

I get your thinking, but I'm not so sure.  Despite his infamous playing career at the back, the defence was often something, under his tenure here, he struggled to get right.

17 hours ago, Renegade said:

I get your thinking, but I'm not so sure.  Despite his infamous playing career at the back, the defence was often something, under his tenure here, he struggled to get right.

Absolutely. By his final season, with Warren and Meekings pretty established, he'd got it right, but keeping Tokely at CB in the closing games of his first season was costly, and the decision to free Munro when he did contributed to a couple of pretty rocky seasons, although some would argue that that was part of a necessary transition.  

I'm sure I posted somewhere at the time the amount of defensive line ups we went through in the dire 2011-12 season.  Tokely, Gillet and Proctor all played the whole way across the backline that year I'm sure, while others such Meekings, Hogg, Piermayr, Cox, Golobart, Shinnie and Williams were in and out of the team, as well as the likes of Tom Aldred and Claude Gnakpa who came in and then swiftly disappeared.  Not a happy season on the whole.  A great win over Celtic yes, but we only really stayed up due to a dreadful Hibs team and a bankrupt Dunfermline.

Edited by Renegade

"He blanked him during a function but had been blanking him for months according to said player. Ok Ive only his word for it but didnt see any evidence to disbelieve him. So yeh I think that could be construed as work place bullying yeh??? "

Old Caley Girl do you think that Stein, Ferguson McLean never put pressure on players, some respond to it and some wilt and leave. As a Manager I had inherited some real slackers whom I kept the pressure on because they were short changing their colleagues who worked their tail off. The slackers either changed their attitude or shipped out. This is not bullying, it is being fair to those employees who are giving their all for their wages, whilst all should be treated fairly, there is nothing wrong in letting slackers know their card is marked if they don't shape up. The players under Stein used to say he blanked them when they were on the treatment table because they were of no use to him whilst injured. Ferguson made life uncomfortable for those who set a bad example to the younger players or who tried to undermine his leadership or were part of the drinking culture and that's the way it has to be. The accusation of bullying has been taken to extremes in this day and age, people run off crying to anyone who will listen if they feel they have been snubbed for perhaps quite legitimate reasons.

• Disagree 3

On ‎24‎/‎02‎/‎2017 at 7:16 PM, wynthank15 said:

"He blanked him during a function but had been blanking him for months according to said player. Ok Ive only his word for it but didnt see any evidence to disbelieve him. So yeh I think that could be construed as work place bullying yeh??? "

Old Caley Girl do you think that Stein, Ferguson McLean never put pressure on players, some respond to it and some wilt and leave. As a Manager I had inherited some real slackers whom I kept the pressure on because they were short changing their colleagues who worked their tail off. The slackers either changed their attitude or shipped out. This is not bullying, it is being fair to those employees who are giving their all for their wages, whilst all should be treated fairly, there is nothing wrong in letting slackers know their card is marked if they don't shape up. The players under Stein used to say he blanked them when they were on the treatment table because they were of no use to him whilst injured. Ferguson made life uncomfortable for those who set a bad example to the younger players or who tried to undermine his leadership or were part of the drinking culture and that's the way it has to be. The accusation of bullying has been taken to extremes in this day and age, people run off crying to anyone who will listen if they feel they have been snubbed for perhaps quite legitimate reasons.

There are many legitimate reasons for dropping or resting players. There is never a justifiable reason for anyone in a management position snubbing, denigrating or ignoring a colleague.

On 24/02/2017 at 7:16 PM, wynthank15 said:

So off the mark its unreal and if I named the player youd get it!!!! If my boss didnt speak to me for 4 months Id think I was being bullied! 

Edited by old caley girl
Added text to post
  • Agree 1

6 hours ago, old caley girl said:

So off the mark its unreal and if I named the player youd get it!!!! If my boss didnt speak to me for 4 months Id think I was being bullied! 

You know it and I know it, John Hughes could have shot one of the players at training and one of his happy clappy, superfans would've heralded it as great management.

Edited by Renegade
  • Agree 2
  • Disagree 1

1 hour ago, old caley girl said:

Just think you are lucky not to have wynthank15 as a manager :wink:

• Agree 2

Looks like Yogi is doing his best to get Raith relegated from the Championship.  He's having a "right good go" at the SPFL for not agreeing to a postponement of last night's game against Ayr due to a lack of keepers.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/39119114

They've been without a keeper on the bench for the last 3 games and he's done nothing about it.    Then suddenly with their one fit keeper getting injured on Saturday (but not needing to leave the field) they seek a postponement the day before the next match.  One wonders what they would have done in any of those 3 matches had the keeper had to go off injured?  Presumably, by not having a keeper on the bench they accepted they would have to put an outfield player in goal.  Having a go at the SPFL rather deflects from the real issue here which is that Raith lost because they failed to score a goal against a side which had not won in their last 15 games.

13 hours ago, Renegade said:

You know it and I know it, John Hughes could have shot one of the players at training and one of his happy clappy, superfans would've heralded it as great management.

Happy clappy superfans or supporters who recognised his achievements in a 2 1/2 year period.

League Cup finalists... Scottish Cup Winners.. European Football .. Highest placed league finished (3rd).. Manager of the year .. Football Writers Manage of the Year.

Obviously still not enough to gain the respect of many on here, who would sooner focus and analyse his management style.    

• Agree 4
  • Disagree 3

39 minutes ago, DoofersDad said:

Looks like Yogi is doing his best to get Raith relegated from the Championship.  He's having a "right good go" at the SPFL for not agreeing to a postponement of last night's game against Ayr due to a lack of keepers.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/39119114

They've been without a keeper on the bench for the last 3 games and he's done nothing about it.    Then suddenly with their one fit keeper getting injured on Saturday (but not needing to leave the field) they seek a postponement the day before the next match.  One wonders what they would have done in any of those 3 matches had the keeper had to go off injured?  Presumably, by not having a keeper on the bench they accepted they would have to put an outfield player in goal.  Having a go at the SPFL rather deflects from the real issue here which is that Raith lost because they failed to score a goal against a side which had not won in their last 15 games.

They asked the SPFL to postpone the game which was refused but at no point did they ask for permission for a limited term emergency loan which, given established precedents, would almost certainly have been granted. To be fair, we don't know if that was Yogi's doing but it does seem an extraordinary omission.

42 minutes ago, forresjags said:

Happy clappy superfans or supporters who recognised his achievements in a 2 1/2 year period.

League Cup finalists... Scottish Cup Winners.. European Football .. Highest placed league finished (3rd).. Manager of the year .. Football Writers Manage of the Year.

Obviously still not enough to gain the respect of many on here, who would sooner focus and analyse his management style.

Absolutely shocking that a manager of a team is, or rather was in the case of Hughes, having his management style analysed by supporters.

• Agree 2

Last season we had the match with Hearts postponed because they couldn't name fit goalkeeper/s in their squad.  Yogi went apoplectic over that and was instrumental in having the rule changed and removing that requirement....whilst maintaining and encouraging better use of the emergency keeper loan system.

To now fall foul* of that rule change does somewhat highlight the whole "be careful what you wish for" anecdote. His attempts to ridicule the SPFL Board are also a bit bizarre when you take into consideration the fact that the Raith Rovers Chairman is a member of it!!

*I use the term "fall foul" very loosely as the outcome of having no keeper for the game was one entirely of their own making.

• Agree 1

1 hour ago, RiG said:

Absolutely shocking that a manager of a team is, or rather was in the case of Hughes, having his management style analysed by supporters.

I know. Maybe this forum should be closed down to prevent any such disgraceful and disloyal behaviour in the future. Alternatively such analysis could be dismissed by loud and persistent cries of 'False News !'.

• Agree 1

Or maybe the wee lassies bitching on their cyber playground could give it a rest, it's old news now and you's are beginning to get very petty. 

Raith had a trialist in goals for their development match last week. Am I right in thinking trialists are allowed to play in the bottom 3 divisions?  I read a quote from Hughes saying Ryan Stevenson would have done just as good as an under 21 keeper anyway so he didn't see the point :laugh:

• Agree 1

1 hour ago, Kingsmills said:

I know. Maybe this forum should be closed down to prevent any such disgraceful and disloyal behaviour in the future. Alternatively such analysis could be dismissed by loud and persistent cries of 'False News !'.

Regardless what you think about JH as a person or his man management style, you cannot deny his achievements with ICT no matter how much it pains you to admit it. 

WTF.......... diid you really use the term False News on a football forum ??????? 

4 minutes ago, forresjags said:

Regardless what you think about JH as a person or his man management style, you cannot deny his achievements with ICT no matter how much it pains you to admit it. 

Will we never get closure on this now, quite tiresome, JH saga?  

I honestly don't think there are many posters on here who do not recognise what JH achieved with us. Certainly those heady days at Hampden, particularly the Scottish Cup win, and the dabble into Europe, will live long in our memories.

It is just a pity that the memories are tarnished by the manner of JH's leaving the club.  Whatever the absolute truth of the matter, many of us think that JH engineered his way out of ICT, at great expense to the club, after only months  previously,  signing a contract extension, at which time, I for one, am convinced the ongoing budget details for the club would have been made clear to him.

Anyway, we now are where we are, and it is time to move on.  We have a hard enough job on our hands for the rest of the season without continually harping back to JH.

• Agree 1

1 hour ago, ICTPAISLEY said:

Or maybe the wee lassies bitching on their cyber playground could give it a rest, it's old news now and you's are beginning to get very petty. 

Raith had a trialist in goals for their development match last week. Am I right in thinking trialists are allowed to play in the bottom 3 divisions?  I read a quote from Hughes saying Ryan Stevenson would have done just as good as an under 21 keeper anyway so he didn't see the point :laugh:

Ok will leave it to the little boys then!!!! 

6 hours ago, forresjags said:

The absolute state of this.  The fact he was overall a successful manager (that I do believe) does not mean that poor management, bullying and ostracisation of certain players cannot be criticised.  Perhaps if Yogi's man-management style had been better, especially with the board and the players, he'd still be in the job.

• Agree 3
  • Disagree 1