Our former managers

Yngwie

ICT's first 20 years were an almost continuous upward trajectory under a number of very successful managers, so it's rather curious to see that none of them are currently managers, at any decent level anyway.

The only one working as a manager is the legendary Steve Paterson at junior side Dufftown. (He most recently made the news for posting drunken messages on Whats App saying he was going to blow up the houses of fans who criticised him.)

Brewster is doing ok as Assistant at Plymouth, but has to work under Derek Adams.

Baltacha does youth coaching for Charlton, whilst Christie does youth development and lottery work for ICT.

As far as I can see John Robertson isn't doing anything in football, and strangest of all, our most successful and high profile managers, Butcher and Hughes, are both long term unemployed as managers.

Edited by Yngwie
Omissions

9 minutes ago, Renegade said:

Is Charlie Christie not still head of youth development at ICT?

Think so, yeah.  He was certainly doing interviews with the yoof last week.

12 minutes ago, Yngwie said:

Strangest of all, our most successful and high profile managers, Butcher and Hughes, are both long term unemployed.

Hughes still on our payroll, so in no rush to look for anything.

Butcher picking up punditry work with BT and the beeb, so that'll be paying his mortgage...

Well if that's true we are still paying Yogi and haven't lump sum paid him off then he's still an employee so get him in and back to work sorting out the defence. If I was on garden leave from my job I'd be expected back if my employer requested it.

• Agree 1
  • Disagree 1

If he would consider coming over,  bring in John Robertson as assistant to Richie. Not replacing him but in a joint capacity or something equally unique. Even on a pro-tem basis for  the rest of the season it would give both a chance to get a breather--Richie would have good professional support in a very direct, and maybe in a somewhat more mature,  way and John would be able to get his foot back in the football scene. You can see where this is going don't you....?

Then let John do the shouting and screaming at the players if they don't at first respond to his decrees so that Richie can see how to do that and what results can be achieved from it. Seemed to work at Manchester United ---  with boots being booted in players' faces et al.

O.K, O.K.,  do it your way! Personally, though, I think it is worth a try.

News on our former assistant Russell Latapy. Trinidad & Tobago got a new manager in December and in early January he appointed Latapy as one of his Assistant Coaches. They lost 2 games in a week and the manager resigned. Latapy was shortlisted and interviewed for the post, but didn't get it.

15 hours ago, Yngwie said:

News on our former assistant Russell Latapy. Trinidad & Tobago got a new manager in December and in early January he appointed Latapy as one of his Assistant Coaches. They lost 2 games in a week and the manager resigned. Latapy was shortlisted and interviewed for the post, but didn't get it.

Get Brian Rice to feck and bring back Russell.

• Agree 1

That's a coup for Raith if true. From what I've heard their owner doesn't mind putting his hands in his pockets so that should suit Yogi. 

I like Yogi but it's amusing that in his interview with BBC sport a few months back (the one were he said that he didn't see Foran as being much of a manager/coach) he talks about wanting the opportunity to manage in the championship, only he meant the one in England! Still, Raith have a decent squad and I could see Yogi doing well there. 

37 minutes ago, forresjags said:

John Hughes said some good things about his time and the players he managed on North Tonight this week, showed no bitterness towards the club at all.

Good luck to him.  

Nor should he show any bitterness towards ICT.  He was more than happy to sign a 2 year contract extension with us.  I cannot for a minute believe that at the time of signing he did not know what the likely budget was going to be.  Yet within a very short while he is complaining openly about it, and I for one believe, deliberately engineering his exit , at great financial cost to the club.  This I believe led to us making the risky,  possibly 'cheap option', of promoting Foran, which many folk will now see as a mistake, and who knows what longer term financial problems lie in store, especially if we go down.

• Agree 8
  • Disagree 1

6 hours ago, forresjags said:

John Hughes said some good things about his time and the players he managed on North Tonight this week, showed no bitterness towards the club at all.

Good luck to him.  

Harsh on Forresjags to give a red dot for this! Haven't heard the interview, but if he was pleasant about his time here, then good on him. Perhaps a few months on the scrapheap helped him to remember what a purple patch he had with us and the fact that he wasn't quite in demand as much as he thought he might be brought some humility too. It will be interesting to see whether he can do anything with Raith - hopefully, we'll not find out first hand next season!

Edit: I've neutralised the red dot!

Edited by PerfICT

1 hour ago, Alan Simpson said:

Fair play to yogi if the board had matched his ambition ie push the boat out for storey i believe wed have been pushing for europe rather than a relegation scrap true saying u only realized what u had when its gone

We will never know I guess but i cant see how you can come to that conclusion. He took us from 3rd place to 7th (only after a good post split run). Inverness should never push the boat out for any manager. The budget is the budget. Work within it. Simples. A club of 3,000 fans will never be able to sustain a decent team for more than a couple of seasons. Any talented players we produce or unearth will be poached by bigger clubs with more money. It is disappointing, but it is the nature of the business/sport.

• Agree 4

2 hours ago, Alan Simpson said:

Fair play to yogi if the board had matched his ambition ie push the boat out for storey i believe wed have been pushing for europe rather than a relegation scrap true saying u only realized what u had when its gone

For a start, it's nonsensical to suggest that the Board lacks ambition. Cash maybe... well definitely... but certainly not ambition. Where are you actually suggesting the Board would have got the cash to "push the boat out" as described?

• Agree 1

2 hours ago, Stirling Observer said:

We will never know I guess but i cant see how you can come to that conclusion. He took us from 3rd place to 7th (only after a good post split run). Inverness should never push the boat out for any manager. The budget is the budget. Work within it. Simples. A club of 3,000 fans will never be able to sustain a decent team for more than a couple of seasons. Any talented players we produce or unearth will be poached by bigger clubs with more money. It is disappointing, but it is the nature of the business/sport.

Yogi lost a few good players horrendous injuries also set him back ! Ye true defo need 2 have a budget itd be intresting to see how much he asked for all just rumours u hear! I think yogi gets a raw deal on these sites took us 2 europe 

• Agree 1
  • Disagree 2

1 hour ago, Charles Bannerman said:

For a start, it's nonsensical to suggest that the Board lacks ambition. Cash maybe... well definitely... but certainly not ambition. Where are you actually suggesting the Board would have got the cash to "push the boat out" as described?

Ryan christie transfer fee money for reaching europe ! Inever said the board lacked ambition i said they never matched his which may have pushed us in to a best of the rest fight we were a decent side under hughes! What sort of $$$$ was yogi asking for?

• Agree 3
  • Disagree 1