Inverness - Above street level.

Second Row

7 minutes ago, DoofersDad said:

That's not the Board room above the entrance to the old Royal Northern Infirmary is it?

No. I checked there five minutes ago! 

It's a tough one....  Blinds down, open window and the shadow at top left suggest somewhere that gets plenty of sun.  So not north-facing, but of course doesn't have to be facing due south.

Edited by snorbens_caleyman
additional thoughts

First time I have really had a good look at this thread  I looked into briefly on one occasion  but it seemed to be all about the Rats their teachers and the Rat Hole which was of little interest to me being a Techie.

Going back a page or two and seeing John Colliers I thought it was worth mentioning that it was Hips the tailors before that, might be wrong but I don't think so.

31 minutes ago, Second Row said:

Well, I have to take off my hat to you for finding an almost exact replica of the building I photographed!!

This is the one I photographed......Douglas Row, by the riverside.

.....and this is Midmills Road. Maybe the same architect designed both?

A great deal of construction seems to have gone on in Inverness during the last two decades of the 19th century. If you look up in Tomnahurich/Young St you will actually see dates on buildings from the 1880s and 1890s. Similarly, much of the Crown is of that era. I think there's an 1880s date on a building at the Kingsmills shops and the Crown Church was 1893 whereas phase 1 of the "Old Academy" was 1895. Much of Kenneth St and lower Fairfield Rd have the same feel about them and it's interesting that Second Row has now added in Douglas Row which I hadn't thought about. The Greig St Bridge is, I THINK 1881 and the Town Hall is 1878. And is it 1893 for the Camerons' Memorial in Station Square?

I wonder what it would have been like to have left Inverness in, say, 1875 and returned in maybe 1900?

I was reading Sarah Fraser's excellent book on the old Lord Lovat, and was reminded how the Sneck was 300 years ago a thriving port with close connections to the Baltic ports, Holland, etc., far more than with London. Also, that more than half of the population of the Scotland lived above the Highland Line, with the glens all around us relatively well populated.

Fast forward to 2017 and the place is a cultural, economic and environmental desert, a backwater scrambling to get by through tourism and supermarkets.

The union has been a complete disaster for the Highlands.:sad:

• Agree 1
  • Disagree 1