Scotty

Just now, Kingsmills said:

I remember being at Parkhead back in 1984 watching Celtic beat Inverness Thistle 6-0. The Jags gave them a much harder game that day.

I was going to say...a 6-0 scoreline is what id expect from a Highland league team against a top tier team

• Agree 1
  • Disagree 1

Full time 6-0.  That may be the first game I've seen where 6-0 flatters the losing side. The BBC stats state that Celtic had 27 shots on goal.  I would say that we looked like amateurs but at least most amateur sides have a bit of shape about them. God knows what goes on at the training ground but whatever it is none of it appears to be sinking in.

Celtic are an outstanding side, the best we've seen in this country for a long time but we are a shadow of what we used to be. OFW, Warren, Tansey have regressed over the last 12 months and a chunk of the new signings are a downgrade on their predecessors.

Really difficult to pick any positives out of that but I felt Mulraney and the young lad Ebbe did OK when they came on. I thought both made some clever runs and won a few corners although by that stage it was OK more than a training exercise for Celtic.

Two final Points:

(1) What's the craic with the floated corners by Tansey. I lost count of how many Gordon plucked out of the air and then one quick throw and we were under pressure.

(2) what did we do to Steven Thompson? He couldn't hide his contempt for us during BBC commentary.

• Agree 1

3 minutes ago, Yngwie said:

Watching a replay of the build up to the injury time 6th goal I'm thinking "There's some pigeons on the pitch, they think it's all over......!"

The pigeons probably mistook our defenders for statues.

• Agree 2

Positive Mulraney and Ebbe the rest absolutely terrible including the managers schoolboy tactics.

As good as Celtic can be we were absolutely shocking the space they had to play in was embarrassing think the referee saved us from a complete tanking today with his handling of the game.

• Agree 1

the team were handed a footballing lesson today. Hopefully Richie was handed a managing one also. It doesn't matter that it was away to a very good Celtic side. 6-0 is a total embarrassment and a disgrace. If that was a boxing match Celtic would have been done for murder. Nothing remotely positive to take from that shambles today. How far we have fallen from only 2 years ago is astonishing  

Ooft. That was dire. Good as Celtic are, ICT looked like amateurs. To go to Celtic Park with that formation was either bold or foolish. It turns out that "suicidal" was probably more accurate. First 15 min were OK, but after that, the space between our lines made it so easy for Celtic's flair players to operate. I still do not like the Tansey, Draper, Vigurs midfield - it doesn't work and Richie has to recognise it. Mulraney, Cole and Ebbe did OK when they came on, but the rest were poor. Draper was probably the best of the rest, but could have been sent off.

How much that's dented the confidence will remain to be seen, but Hearts away will be all the more difficult now. You know it's bad when it looks like our best chance of staying up is an implosion at Ibrox.

Edited by PerfICT
  • Agree 1

4 minutes ago, snorbens_caleyman said:

I'd been watching them for a while.  A good solid team with impressive off-the-ball movement.

I take it your talking about the pigeons. Being better organised than us is not difficult.

time to wake up and smell the coffee. we were playing the best celtic team for years, so confident they are going to win, who spend millions on players, no one else in Scotland can get near them and have a forward worth 40 million.

we have a team bought from the bargain basement because our previous manager engineered his own way out of the club and legged it with the next couple of years transfer budget.

move on to the relegation battle and see what happens.

foran is going no where due to costs

• Agree 2

Aye well, canna say that result was not on the cards, Ceptic are getting better and better while we still struggle on.  Our season will not be determined by today's game, more the next few weeks and hopefully we can keep in touch till the split, then the battle starts.

Not much to take out of the game, Williams had a couple of stops but still looks shakey to me, the rest had a few we moments but overall the class was glaring.

I really hope Richie can lift them for next week! 

First 20 minutes were OK. Heads dropped completely after the second, with OFW making another fumble. No doubt he should have saved it. We didn't try hard enough to make things happen when we got the ball, and Celtic made it extremely difficult.

I'm not going to take too much from today. Making the trip up North from Newcastle next week for the Hearts game so hopefully we can turn it around.

1 hour ago, Ten4 said:

Cup out of the way now.

Time to bring us together and get safe!

There's not a chance in hell we're getting safe. We're far too slow and too error-prone at the back, there isn't enough presence, or composure, or pace in midfield, we have no creativity in the wide areas and few discernible tactics. Celtic are an excellent side, but I reckon any other Premiership club would have given them more of a game today. Earlier in the season, we did at least manage to stop them playing for 45 minutes; today, they were miles quicker to everything, we were incapable of closing them down at all and ended up just resorting to embarrassing fouls. I hate seeing an ICT team trying to kick opponents off the park, but if they must do it, they should at least make sure it works. At the back, Warren looked lost; up front, Anier was completely anonymous.

Normally I really look forward to a game at Tynecastle, but I can't see anything other than an easy Hearts win, now they seem to have come on to a bit of form. I'd like to see Polworth come into central midfield as he at least offers a little more pace and fight than Vigurs (who, to be fair, was no worse than Tansey or Draper today); Mulraney should maybe be given another chance from the start, although I still suspect he has very little end product, and as Anier did so little, why not stick in Ebbe, who looks a bit of a handful. Maybe the sort of player who could be useful in the Championship.

• Agree 2

1 hour ago, forresjags said:

Positive Mulraney and Ebbe the rest absolutely terrible including the managers schoolboy tactics.

As good as Celtic can be we were absolutely shocking the space they had to play in was embarrassing think the referee saved us from a complete tanking today with his handling of the game.

Mulraney looked especially dangerous, although Celtic were having a cup of tea mentally by the time he came on, I thought Cole looked OK as well, both Billy's rather ineffectually, which was at least better than Anier (Oh how we needed Ofere!).

Given that we have lost 5-0, 6-0 and 5-0 under JH at Celtic Park, in the previous two seasons, the result was about par for the course

Edited by Eagle4Caley
  • Agree 2

1 hour ago, cif73 said:

Given Celtic's recent cup performances, Albion Rovers could give us a bit of a doing ... ICT doing no better than Thistle in 1984. Sad times.

East Kilbride only lost 2-0 to Celtic a couple of seasons or so ago. Just saying like.

• Agree 1

A 6-0 defeat is hard to take, but let's just put this in a bit of perspective and compare it with results in the previous manager's first season with us.

Despite taking over the side when we were 2nd in the league and inheriting a significantly stronger squad than then he left us with, in his first year here Hughes took his team to Celtic Park twice in the league where we were hammered 5-0 and then 6-0 by a Celtic team which was not a patch on the team we saw today.  In the cup we managed to scrape through against Stranraer after a reply before being thrashed 5-0 at home by Dundee Utd.

As for the game itself, whilst accepting we clearly have issues at the back, I thought the result was more a reflection of the quality and application of a superb Celtic side than of a poor performance from us.  I've seen us play worse than that and win.

• Agree 5

2 minutes ago, DoofersDad said:

A 6-0 defeat is hard to take, but let's just put this in a bit of perspective and compare it with results in the previous manager's first season with us.

Despite taking over the side when we were 2nd in the league and inheriting a significantly stronger squad than then he left us with, in his first year here Hughes took his team to Celtic Park twice in the league where we were hammered 5-0 and then 6-0 by a Celtic team which was not a patch on the team we saw today.  In the cup we managed to scrape through against Stranraer after a reply before being thrashed 5-0 at home by Dundee Utd.

As for the game itself, whilst accepting we clearly have issues at the back, I thought the result was more a reflection of the quality and application of a superb Celtic side than of a poor performance from us.  I've seen us play worse than that and win.

This. Let's also remember that Celtic hammered  Rangers, a team with a substantially higher budget than our own, 5-1 just a few months back.

52 minutes ago, DoofersDad said:

That's about as happy clappy as it gets. 

• Agree 4
  • Disagree 1

• Scotty unfeatured and unpinned this topic