First choice back 4

Yngwie

It's been a season of chopping and changing at the back due mainly to injuries and with the odd suspension thrown in.

It's possible (but perhaps unlikely, given our luck in this area!) that before the end of the season we could have all our defenders available and match fit. In which case, what should the starting back 4 be? I think Tremarco would be almost everyone's first pick, but there are some interesting choices across the rest of the back line, where nobody has really stood out.

Options are Meekings, Warren, Raven, McNaughton, McKay, Laing and McCart. 

Tremarco goes with out saying. Can't say I've seen enough of McNaugton, Laing and McCart to come to any conclusion for the centre pairing but a fit Josh Meekings would probably get the nod for one of the slots.  I think Mckay is a more natural defender than Raven but Raven offers a bit more offensively.  Think I'd probably go with Mckay on balance.  In the past I had questioned why Shinnie was played at left back when I thought he was more effective in midfield.  I also wonder if Raven might be better playing a bit further up the park.  He may not have the ball skills of Cole and Mulraney but he tackles and crosses a ball a lot better.

Strongest we have in my opinion is per below

Raven Mckay Meekings  Tremarco

Raven - reliable and puts in a shift, arguably Brad might be better than him but right now Raven can maintain his place

Mckay - great bit of business and I think he has shown enough to be a key figure moving forwards

Meekings - club should do all it can to keep him and we build the defence around him, had an inconsistent year but I think he and Brad could become a great pairing

Tremarco currently is our star performer and made left back his own since Shinnie left

Warren may be on the decline, whether its a bad season or he's past it puts a difficult decision for the management. Its back to the Tokely/Munro type decision. I'd keep him til his current deal runs out and see what happens, but captain or not, he days as a first choice starter may be limited unless his form picks up

McCart isnt ours, so no point long term planning with him, adequate for cover and that's it. Ideally would have liked to see us try blood some of our own youngsters than bring him in.

McNaughton given his age and history was a gamble at best and turned into a monumental waste of money - I really hope he isn't offered a new deal as I don't think he body would last a season.

Laing - done little wrong so far and I'd be inclined to give him a year long deal and see how he develops or at least provide cover

Given our results and our performances this season, then breathing in the fumes of euphoria that filled our lungs after the Hearts and Rangers games - should we not be adhering to the hallowed four who started in those two games ? A problem is that we have two newbies settling in and then we have another couple who have been hit by injury and lacking in match practice and then a sure starter who has lost his mojo and then a recently required full back who has already played in every defensive position but dropped for a loanee and a legend who appears to have found his mojo and finally the player of the season.

RAVEN  TREMARCO TREMARCO  TREMARCO

19 hours ago, IMMORTAL HOWDEN ENDER said:

Given our results and our performances this season, then breathing in the fumes of euphoria that filled our lungs after the Hearts and Rangers games - should we not be adhering to the hallowed four who started in those two games ? A problem is that we have two newbies settling in and then we have another couple who have been hit by injury and lacking in match practice and then a sure starter who has lost his mojo and then a recently required full back who has already played in every defensive position but dropped for a loanee and a legend who appears to have found his mojo and finally the player of the season.

RAVEN  TREMARCO TREMARCO  TREMARCO

Totally agree with the full backs as, to me MacKay is simply not a full back. For me, an interesting centre back paring would be McCart and Meekings. Warren only needs to be played if no alternative as he is off form.

2 minutes ago, Huisdean said:

Totally agree with the full backs as, to me MacKay is simply not a full back. For me, an interesting centre back paring would be McCart and Meekings. Warren only needs to be played if no alternative as he has been a great servant but is finished.

FTFY :wink:

• Agree 1

Raven, Laing, McCart ,Tremarco to keep us up.

Feel Mckay is caught out of position too often and tends to drift to centre ( that maybe because where he plays changes weekly.) Thought he was a fine at first but not so sure anymore.

Warren way off it just now. See also ground made up by Laing on Warren during Dembele's 2nd  on Wed. (Although I think one of them should have been 10 yards behind one another rather than 10 apart but square)

Meekings contract silence says it all, we know the script by now. I think he's off.

McNaughton 2nd choice to Raven. 

• Disagree 1

For partick is tremarco is fit then

raven Laing mccart tremarco.

If not replace tremarco with McKay or macnaughton.

Warren is done unfortunately. Meekings should retain his starting place when fit ahead of mccart. Raven finally starting to find his form again. Laing looks good. Good distribution, decent pace, he's slotted in very well.

Does it have to be a back 4?

I think we need to play 3 at the back plus 2 full backs capable of both going forward and defending well. Our defence has been pick-pocketed so often this season when we haven't had midfielders that provide the cover needed when other teams attack us down the flanks.

So my picks for a back 3 are Meekings (if fit - Mckay if not), Laing, McCart with Raven and Tremarco flanking them in the full/wing back positions.

Edited by Row S
  • Agree 1

• 2 weeks later...

Surely to play a back five you need to have  wide players that are comfortable going forward as well as defending. As good as fullbacks  Raven and Tremarco are, they are quite limited when in possession going forward.. Saturday, both players were totally isolated with no options to play a direct pass as they were our furthest  forward wide players,................ sitting deep in our own half. That is why we resort to long hopeful punts from the 3 central defenders.