Can we have less hype in future

Laurence

According to all the Scottish news bulletins and interviews with the players, the wheels were due to come off the chariot.

We ere told that the record would be a problem and the English players would get a bout of nerves, and the Scottish team was on a superb high.

Could they not have been more wrong?

and what ?

The Calcutta cup stays in the south

The unbeaten record goes on

"Six Nations 2017: Winning run could 'paralyse' England - Scotland's Nathan Hines " - from BBC sport

England 61  Scotland  21

Mind you the men did better than the women

England  64 Scotland Women 0

Sunday 26th February 2017

• Disagree 1

• 5 months later...
On ‎12‎/‎03‎/‎2017 at 6:25 PM, tm4tj said:

I know. We get the same every 4 years when the English media think their football team will win the world cup. It's awful.

It's worse than that. It's every two years. They bang on about winning the Euros as well.

• Agree 1

• 2 weeks later...

You may have also noticed that qualifiers for the Women's World Cup have started so expect even more hype. But to be fair, some level of hype is justified as the England Women's team is pretty good just now.  Their first match against Russia was live on BBC2 last night and it really was a very entertaining game to watch.  Robbo could do worse than sit his squad down to watch a video of the game.  The score was 6-0 but it could easily have been double figures.  They had 32 attempts on goal.  The English women played with a real purpose and showed a great awareness of their team mates.  There was a real connection between players in playing balls into the spaces.  There was also great awareness of when shooting opportunities and a decisiveness in getting shots away.  In short, going forward and decision making in the box was everything that it isn't with us at the moment.  It really was refreshing to watch.  If they continue to play like that, expect a lot more hype!

4 hours ago, DoofersDad said:

You may have also noticed that qualifiers for the Women's World Cup have started so expect even more hype. But to be fair, some level of hype is justified as the England Women's team is pretty good just now.  Their first match against Russia was live on BBC2 last night and it really was a very entertaining game to watch.  Robbo could do worse than sit his squad down to watch a video of the game.  The score was 6-0 but it could easily have been double figures.  They had 32 attempts on goal.  The English women played with a real purpose and showed a great awareness of their team mates.  There was a real connection between players in playing balls into the spaces.  There was also great awareness of when shooting opportunities and a decisiveness in getting shots away.  In short, going forward and decision making in the box was everything that it isn't with us at the moment.  It really was refreshing to watch.  If they continue to play like that, expect a lot more hype!

I rather suspect that any hype, however justified, has been superseded for now by events off the pitch.

• 3 weeks later...
On ‎09‎/‎09‎/‎2017 at 10:24 AM, Kingsmills said:

It's worse than that. It's every two years. They bang on about winning the Euros as well.

You are right Kingsmills . - Off we go again,  As Nelson said " England Expects ",  Tough ask, because , Since 1966 and all that, England just can't take the pressure.

I get so embarrassed  , the news papers are mainly to blame.  The other home countries including the republic seem to have passion , no passion in a white shirt I'am very  concerned. I think Southgate is a good coach, 

Potentially, England have a better side than for many a year.  There is good depth as well.  However, they just don't seem to know how to get through a packed defence and they always look vulnerable at the back.  They won their group by a decent margin but were never convincing.  Friendlies are coming up against Germany and Brazil.  I expect those will knock the hype back a bit.  It will also no doubt provide some "fans" with an opportunity to sing some war related songs and to demonstrate what a complete embarrassment they are to the team and their country.

England do have a very young side at the moment and have been doing quite well at the U21 and lower levels.  Whilst my expectations for Russia do not extend beyond the likelihood of some very unpleasant crowd trouble, I do think England might be good enough to be real contenders on the world stage in a few more years.

In Rugby terms the wheels are due to come off the chariot

The problem with the England team is they only have a couple of world class players, by world class I mean somebody who has the potential to play for Barcelona or  Real Madrid or PSG - That is Kane and Ali  possibly Walker -   Thinking of  Stirling  or  Henderson  they may get in the B side at Barcelona.

The centre backs are average Smalling and Jones ,   Stones is moderate  , The goalkeeper Hart is Terrible  and is not as good as our Wales man  Fon Williams.                                  Maybe Butland  is sound , but I prefer the ex Celtic man Forster .  

I can't see for the life in me how they can compete with , ( the usual suspects )  Spain , or Germany,  from Europe, or Argentina. from South America -  

No  unless it snows in Russia it will be a very poor campaign for Perfidious Albion.  When I think back to the team, that won it, Gordon Banks, the two Charlton's, Bobby Moore , Peters, Hurst , Hunt , Ball,    I could go on.

This  England side is terrible and hasn't a cat in hells chance. I rather think Southgate will be following  Strachan  to the Dole queue

Having said all that they may totally confound me and lose to Germany on penalties in the Semis.

Edited by Laurence

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

Still it continues by day and by night  - going back to the Scottish rugby topic  ,

My neighbour a dedicated follower of Rugby Union in Scotland was devastated by the recent defeat in Wales , after the hype preceding  the game .In fairness to go to Cardiff and win was a big ask .

Now  they are to take on the  French in Edinburgh . More hype ,  I think the media put the Rugby lads under too much pressure.  I hope the team can rise above it, but time  alone will tell. .

K O 3pm Sunday I believe

Edited by Laurence

On 09/02/2018 at 2:27 PM, Laurence said:

Still it continues by day and by night  - going back to the Scottish rugby topic  ,

My neighbour a dedicated follower of Rugby Union in Scotland was devastated by the recent defeat in Wales , after the hype preceding  the game .In fairness to go to Cardiff and win was a big ask .

Now  they are to take on the  French in Edinburgh . More hype ,  I think the media put the Rugby lads under too much pressure.  I hope the team can rise above it, but time  alone will tell. .

K O 3pm Sunday I believe

Well Laurence, I appreciate that you will be disappointed but it seems that any optimism about the France match was not entirely misplaced after all.

• Funny 3

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I am a dedicated  Rugby League man , I played at colts level up to 18 years old. I played in the same league as Rochdale Hornets who were a big team in those days ,    No Chariot for us lads, we had to go to matches on the bus,.  I wasn't being critical  of  the Scottish rugby union team, but the way the press hype up the matches.  As I said it doesn't do the players any favours , who need to be relaxed to play  what is  very tactical  and dangerous game.

To be quite honest I have no love for Rugby Union.

I am not too bothered about a sport that needs 30 players on the field at any one time. I see it as a sport for upper class public school boys, or was once.  My view is that as a professional sport they should look to reduces the wage bill, by following the  format used by Rugby league and having no more than 13  players on both sides. When rugby is at its best , the teams have room to pass, and the game is not controlled by grunt and bang forwards. The ruby sevens show this.

Regarding the hype I suppose living in Scotland I respond to the frenzy generated by the media,  for anything that is a challenge for Scotland. :  when I lived in England  there was far less media interest in  the matches between the two nations, if there was I never noticed it.

As far as I am concerned they can chop up the sweet chariot for firewood. Nice to see the Emerald Isle on top.