Foran - Should he stay or should he go?

Time to go I'm afraid. He might turn out to be a competent SPL manager in future, but the record suggests he simply isn't up to the job at this moment in time. He needs to learn his trade at a lower level and work his way back up.

Richie means well and truly loves the club, but is having a shocker. If he truly loves the club he needs to admit defeat...

But he won't and the board can't afford to sack him because 3 years' salary will cripple us.

So, we'll slip into the darkness without a whimper on account of a poor appointment, combined with an arrogant/pig-headed manager who can't accept his limitations. The question is: Just how much damage can Richie do in 4 years? Part-time football? Almost certainly IMO.

• Agree 3

I've been trying to avoid forums for the last couple of years but I felt the need to bring this up:

According to Barry Wilson, it's a four year plan, consisting of Foran on a yearly rolling contract, I.e. no to very little compensation.

starchief - Hope you're right. Nothing personal towards Foran, but he has failed miserably. 

Charlie Christie until end of season then re-assess. 

1 hour ago, Pele_Is_God said:

He will be in charge next season no matter what. Believe me on that one!

I've heard the same, unless he was to resign.  He will not be sacked no-matter what I've been told.

Richie does not appear, at first sight anyway, to have the managerial presence to be successful at inspiring the team at this juncture of the season. It also appears as if he is very unlikely to quit. For one thing he has a family to support ! ...... 'Nuff said.

To prove to the current playing staff and the fans how much bottle he really does have, however, he  should get the match day kit on and join the troops on the field. Even for one match, as I have suggested before. 

He can then shout encouragement and advice to them together with showing to them  his undoubted hard work ethic and fantastic skillset which always was dynamic. In short he will be back in his element where he can inspire and impress.

On the assumption that he is still physically fit, what does he have to lose? Very little, except that he does have a lot to gain. Richie  doesn't seem to have  much support,  so..... " turn the tables on them!, old chap!" 

Even if he is not so fit as he used to be, maybe he could stay the course for at least a very hard-working first half. Then no player, or management, could accuse him of not having the courage to strut his stuff and prove to the players how much he knows about the game. And set an example, too, of how to take the bull by the horns when the chips are down. i.e. An inspirational leader who can fight with extraordinary measures when ordinary measures have failed.

His stock will rise, his words will be heeded and the troops should respond in kind. There is  NOTHING like leading by example. Someone to look up to and emulate........ In real time, NOT in hoity-toity hot air and hyperbole.

However, If he were to turn down such a suggestion because "managers don't do that because they might lose face",  then the club should seek another manager immediately. Why? Because nothing is going to change and the clock is really ticking now.  :ictscarf:   

3 hours ago, Scarlet Pimple said:

Richie does not appear, at first sight anyway, to have the managerial presence to be successful at inspiring the team at this juncture of the season. It also appears as if he is very unlikely to quit. For one thing he has a family to support ! ...... 'Nuff said.

To prove to the current playing staff and the fans how much bottle he really does have, however, he  should get the match day kit on and join the troops on the field. Even for one match, as I have suggested before. 

He can then shout encouragement and advice to them together with showing to them  his undoubted hard work ethic and fantastic skillset which always was dynamic. In short he will be back in his element where he can inspire and impress.

On the assumption that he is still physically fit, what does he have to lose? Very little, except that he does have a lot to gain. Richie  doesn't seem to have  much support,  so..... " turn the tables on them!, old chap!" 

Even if he is not so fit as he used to be, maybe he could stay the course for at least a very hard-working first half. Then no player, or management, could accuse him of not having the courage to strut his stuff and prove to the players how much he knows about the game. And set an example, too, of how to take the bull by the horns when the chips are down. i.e. An inspirational leader who can fight with extraordinary measures when ordinary measures have failed.

His stock will rise, his words will be heeded and the troops should respond in kind. There is  NOTHING like leading by example. Someone to look up to and emulate........ In real time, NOT in hoity-toity hot air and hyperbole.

However, If he were to turn down such a suggestion because "managers don't do that because they might lose face",  then the club should seek another manager immediately. Why? Because nothing is going to change and the clock is really ticking now.  :ictscarf:   

Are you on the juice Scarlet me boy?

11 hours ago, Scarlet Pimple said:

Really? We're bad enough with the professionals that play week in, week out without removing someone for Richie's ego to get a boost and have a crock who's had about 90mins of football over 3 years have a run out. Too many on here seem to think he was a playing messiah, he was average at best with a bad temperament at times and was as likely to get sent off or injured as he was to score. Pulling on his boots is not the answer to this situation.

• Agree 1
  • Disagree 1

47 minutes ago, bdu98196 said:

Pulling on his boots is not the answer to this situation.

Giving him the 'boot' is the only answer!! Has it happened yet?

Nice one 'jagster' re Molson Canadian. Can you get it here anywhere? Tried it a few years ago when I was over there. Quality brew indeed.

Edited by Guest

Granted money is an obvious issue with our club, so here is what I think could possibly be some kind of plan within the '4 year plan' I have heard mentioned. 

Board likely (it would appear) to keep Foran for next season. By summer 2018, Brian Rice will be out of contract, as will some of the current generation of players, OFW, Esson, Tremarco, Polworth, Raven (is it January 2018 or summer 2018 with all this option bits tagged on?), Doran etc. Basically the Butcher/Hughes/ Foran generation would be going or gone. 

Also, Draper and Warren would still have one year left of their contracts, but could be given a joint testimonial as 'legends' and then a reduced handshake to leave. 

By summer 2018, a clean sweep at no (or almost no) cost of getting rid of players, as well as Rice and Foran (if it is a yearly rolling contract he is on).

A clean slate would be the incentive for a new manager to come in, bring in his own staff and players etc.

Problem being there will be even less money after a year in Championship. Unless we are back in Premiership we would also be a less attractive option for budding managers and players. 

Holy smoke!!, can't see much positives anywhere I look. 

Edited by Guest

Seriously grim, Its that bad that bringing back Brewster would be better even with  his record second time around. We need to take action now. 

Manager History

Manager                         Start Date    -  End Date             Record

Richie Foran                 30 May 2016 - Present            Won: 5, Drawn: 12, Lost: 17

John Hughes                04 Dec 2013 - 20 May 2016    Won: 47, Drawn: 33, Lost: 40

Terry Butcher                27 Jan 2009 - 11 Nov 2013     Won: 86, Drawn: 57, Lost: 65

Craig Brewster              27 Aug 2007 - 19 Jan 2009     Won: 22, Drawn: 7, Lost: 35

Charlie Christie             13 Jan 2006 - 26 Aug 2007     Won: 24, Drawn: 18, Lost: 25

Craig Brewster              25 Nov 2004 - 13 Jan 2006     Won: 17, Drawn: 18, Lost: 15

John Robertson            26 Dec 2002 - 03 Nov 2004     Won: 44, Drawn: 13, Lost: 27

Steve Paterson             01 Aug 1995 - 01 Dec 2002     Won: 147, Drawn: 92, Lost: 90

Edited by Dan Clark

It's obvious he should be sacked but I doubt he will be.  To be honest, from the first game of the season it's been clear that we've been lacking.  Sides like St Johnstone and Partick Thistle show what we should/could be doing but we aren't capable of recruiting the right quality of player or organising the players we do have.  

Realistically to stay up now we need to show an upturn in form that goes against everything we've displayed for the entirity of the season up until this point.  We've won four games in 32, one game in the last 21.  We now have six games left, I think we need to win four of them to stay up.  It isn't going to happen.

On 4/8/2017 at 6:28 PM, WYNESS101 said:

Rice is the issue i would say. He sits most of the games and lets Foran get on with it. Did Foran have a choice in the picking him?

Terry Butcher as a director of football role

Brian Rice can only offer his opinion, it's up to Richie whether he listens or not