Foran - Should he stay or should he go?

On ‎08‎/‎04‎/‎2017 at 10:51 AM, Kingsmills said:

We had this discussion in January and, no doubt, will have it again at the end of the season. 

However, personally,  I don't believe right now is the time for this debate.  Rather, it's the time for pulling together and trying to dig ourselves out of this hole we find ourselves in. 

I know it may seem perverse and I appreciate that I posted this only a week ago but I have to say, with the benefit of just a little hindsight and great sympathy for Richie, I was wrong.

There have been better and greater players than RF that have been stick-ons to make the step up to management after their playing days and have failed. I believe he has lost the dressing room now and there is no way back for ICT without an immediate departure.  I remember feeling quite positive after RF's first interview when he announced ICT were going to attack. What I didn't realise was he meant in the way kids do when they're playing about with their team formations on the playstation and try a 10 player charge for the hell of it. The naivety of our play has been cruelly exposed and that is because our experienced players are not being directed properly. This won't change in a lower division. Football is a privileged job and you can either do it or you can't and if you can't,  you join the rat race like the rest of us.

• Agree 1

Looking forward to next season already.
"Dumbarton are a good young side - I like em. It'll be a tough game, but I told the boys already, we ain't in a relegation dogfight. We're only 4 wins away from dat play off spot and dats what we're aimin for."
Dumbarton 4-0 Inverness
"It's frustratin to concede 3 goals from set pieces, we work hard on dat in training. The lads just need to show more belief, more courage, more mental strength. I'm tryin to keep the spirits up. Stayin positive. Dat winnin run is just around the corner."

See you in the Highland League.  

Time to go. We have 5 games to go and our manager still doesn't know his best 11 or even what formation we should be playing. Team selections have been a joke, there has been no consistency in the selections. One player plays one week them is dropped the next for no reason. We will never put a run of results together when the team chops and changes every week. Why are we not playing 442 or 4411 with players playing in their natural positions. It's like we are trying to complicate things, we need to get back to basics and play wingers as wingers and midfielders as midfielders. We certainly don't have the poorest squad in the league so it must be purely down to the manager for our positon. I would love for Foran to turn this round and for us to survive this season and then kick on but I can't see it happening. It looks like we are going down, the worst part is, it looks like we are going down without a fight! 

• Agree 1

4.45pm on a Saturday afternoon. ICT result - Groundhog Day!!!!!

I haven't even bothered to listen to or read RF's post match comments as it would be another Groundhog Day experience. 

Off the top of my head, 5 points adrift is the most we have been all season. It's getting worse. Usually look forward to going to Dingwall for derbies. No confidence for next one though and actually dreading thought of County hammering goals into our net and nails into our coffin!!

RF your time is up.

Groundhog Day!!

Foran will not resign. I have heard he is building a (huge) new house. Obviously he'll need money for that and will therefore remain until he gets his pay off. 

I wonder if emotion and guilt have played a part in the board's loyalty to a Foran, knowing that he and his family have committed to Inverness and that if he got sacked now with such an abysmal record in management his next job in football would be in the Highland League.

3 minutes ago, Yngwie said:

I wonder if emotion and guilt have played a part in the board's loyalty to a Foran, knowing that he and his family have committed to Inverness and that if he got sacked now with such an abysmal record in management his next job in football would be in the Highland League.

You may well be right Yngwie, but they need to weigh that emotion against the many jobs at the club that will go with relegation- you can bet that those people are just as loyal and committed as Richie.

• Agree 4

Post match interview suggests to me RF has lost it, pressure is getting to him. Coming out and blaming the players - he picks the team and the formation that doesnt work, blaming officials for destroying our chances, yes a bad decision may have lost us 1 game, but we arent going down due to one bad result - anyone who genuinely is latching onto this is deluded.

Yet again the uncertainty of the position is in question, he said it never affected the dressing room but it has to - the board should have given a defined statement that they back him during the week - he couldnt answer that question in the interview - yes he loves the club and the city but doesnt know if he has the support of his employers. Worrying times all round.

If the board are going to back Foran and he will be manager next season then they should say so unequivocally so that he can get on with planning for next season.

If they are not then they should terminate his contract and put him on gardening leave as from tomorrow. The idle weekend next weekend would then mean that the new manager would have the best part of a fortnight to work with the players and, if he is a permanent rather than an interim appointment he too can begin to prepare and plan for next season.

Either of these courses would be legitimate what is no longer tenable is the current dithering and prevarication. The current uncertainty helps nobody and reflects badly on the board. They are there to take decisions, for god sake take this important one and take it now.

• Agree 3

If the board are going to back him for next season ??? Wake up lol. He has to go now along with the other clown that gave a rookie a four year contract . I'm afraid our chairman Kenny Cameron is as clueless as Ritchie in the running of the club and both should be embarrassed to still be here and taking a wage . Get Charlie in there now until the end of the season and hopefully give us back a little pride in the break if nothing else

I really feel for Foran. It really is the image of the inexperienced swimmer being chucked in at the deep end. But now he is up on the top Feckin diving board. I hope that he puts his hands off and gets back down the stairs and takes a break. If he stays and jumps it is probabl going to end up looking like a John Smiths commercial. But what is really cracking me up at the moment is the fond remembrances of erase holes like Brewster, Hughes and the evil Butcher who may have brought success but did more financial and emotional damage than a Wall Street hacker. At least Foran will be more fondly and correctly remembered as a man who really played for the shirt and probably managed for the shirt but had a big heart and a very naive footballing head.

• Agree 2

Foran is a hopless manager of that there is no doubt the guy couldn't manage a raffle however he must be laughing at the most incompetent board in football.What kind of person

1,Gives a 33 year old a 3 year playing contract ? He wasnt loyal we were the only club stupid enough to offer that sort of deal

2, Gives a complete rookie coach a 4 year deal in his 1st management position? 

It is complete madness on both fronts sometimes i think Foran is writing his own contracts he has the club over a barrel & for his utter failure the idiots on the board will have to fork out big money again on another cluster f**k.

No doubt Richie will eventually step down or be sacked & will fit right in with  the "jobs for the boys" culture in the clubs youth set up & Fairways can look forward to some cracking golf days.

Yes Richie is a bad manager but the clowns on the board who seem more than happy to strut around with a club blazer & have there nice seats on match day need to start getting a hold of the car crash of a club ICT are turning into.

• Agree 1
  • Disagree 2

1 hour ago, The Long Man said:

I think he has trashed any hope of being fondly remembered.

Not with me and probably a lot of others. Shure he should have walked after eating his Xmas turkey. But he also should have been politely punted or offered demotion. But he is stubborn and undoubtedly eager to succeed and the management have no balls and looking after the pennies. Foran the player will be my fond memory. I am not actually angry at him, I feel sorry for him. He did not take this club to the precipice on his own. Some of the performances and the discipline of players has been shocking as well. Foran's naieve dependence on his old school buddies was also a major part of his downfall. And I really could see the problems at the early 5-1 defeat at Tynecastle - and many others since. Why didn't the board ?

Fair enuff, IHE, but trying to disentangle who is to blame between Foran and the board is task beyond sisyphus, although that won't stop months of accusation and counter accusation here and elsewhere. That sentiment you identify is in a way the Achilles heel of the whole fiasco. Everybody wanted him to succeed because of who he is, and that probably extended his tenure beyond what it should have been. While the board have been too timid, they also supported him in January with a lot of new players on loan and gave him enough options that even then you thought might change his fortunes. But that has been the story all season, most supporters hoping beyond reason that he would eventually turn it round at the last minute and then somehow go on to glory in subsequent seasons. But football fans are romantics and sentimentalists. Who doesn't want to see one of their former players, and one of their own, take over and instil the club with that kind of loyalty and continuity? 

I would have loved Charlie to have succeeded, being probably the most outstanding home grown player we ever had, but at least he had the balls to recognise it was beyond him, stepping down to allow the club to carry on and eventually get it right. Sadly foran hasn't shown the same self awareness, and i think we are entitled to forget the former player and be very disillusioned with how he has performed as manager. The naivety, the lack of any coherent vision or strategy, the apparent unwillingness to listen to or seek advice. 

As far as i can see the board and Foran are, or were, a mutual support group, one which has encouraged each other to stay to the bitter end despite the self-harm,  and that has been in many ways because of his former reputation. There is a moral in there somewhere, which I will leave others to figure out.

2 hours ago, RiG said:

Looks like Dundee are set to sack Hartley to halt their slide down the table.

As expected Hartley has been punted.

http://dundeefc.co.uk/news/club-statement-paul-hartley/

Dundee have rolled the dice in a bid to stay up whereas we look content to fall away into the Championship.

Edited by RiG