Maurice Malpas

Kingsmills

44 minutes ago, KennySim93 said:

Anyone else think Mo could effectively be taking over, with Richie taking a bit of a back seat without him being formally announced as the new manager?

God I hope not.  Malpas was a great player and an experienced coach, but his managerial record is abysmal.

Very odd appointment if you ask me and when I got the text from a mate earlier I thought initially it was a wind up

For a club that has supposedly no money where has this extra income come from for this additional wage?

What it does emphasise to me is we definitely can't afford to put RF on gardening duties

Afraid it's just a token gesture by the board to try and appease the fans and sadly the happy clappers will just lap it up

Dougal

• Agree 1
  • Disagree 3

50 minutes ago, dougal said:

Very odd appointment if you ask me and when I got the text from a mate earlier I thought initially it was a wind up

For a club that has supposedly no money where has this extra income come from for this additional wage?

What it does emphasise to me is we definitely can't afford to put RF on gardening duties

Afraid it's just a token gesture by the board to try and appease the fans and sadly the happy clappers will just lap it up

Dougal

And no doubt a fekin expensive one

I'd imagine we're talking a few thousand pounds for a month's work, plus a well deserved bonus if we stay up. A worthwhile last throw of the dice when faced with the prospect of losing millions and sliding into footballing oblivion.

• Agree 5

Has everybody lost their Feckin marbles ? This is a Feckin boardroom Con. If this was the answer it would have been introduced months ago. I am actually dreading County away now as we have given them extra ammo. To me Mispass is a total waste of money and a total slap in the face. Another Old Boy action by Old Boys without a Feckin clue. That is my last post of the season. 

• Agree 2

Significantly, the club statement does not say what role Malpas is going to have.  Foran says he is joining the coaching staff but you can be sure that he's not here just to do a bit of coaching.  What is needed is better decision making around who to play, where to play them and the game plan.  If Malpas is coming in to assist in that, I'd love to know what the dynamics will be between him, Foran and Rice.  There would seem to be scope for a bit of confusion and a lot of tension I would have thought.  I'm with Dougal on this one.  A very odd appointment indeed.

16 minutes ago, rocky1 said:

Director of football in everything but name !

By all accounts Dick Smith fancied himself for that job.  Maybe he resigned when he realised they were taking in someone else for it?

I've been kinda resigned to going down since about February. Poor management decisions, an obvious lack of confidence from the players, lack of leadership on the park, and a complete loss of form from previously top performing players has only served to highlight the reckless board decision with regards the length of Forans contract, given its likely we can't afford to be relegated or pay compo to terminate his contract. From a previously prudent club, I find it an extraordinarily naive bit of business, assuming there isn't some kind of escape clause off course, and if there is, it's an extraordinary show of loyalty to Ritchie Foran that he's still here. 

That said, I've got a sudden strange feeling of optimism now we are going to get off the bottom and give ourselves a sniff of a chance in a playoff. Not because Mo is back, although I'm glad he is. It's because we are Caley Thistle, and if there's one thing we have consistently proven through the years is that we can defy the odds.

I've seen almost nothing this season to merit this optimism, we deserve to go down as things stand, but I also know we still have enough quality individuals here to shi*fest our way into the playoffs if the players stop hiding, feeling sorry for themselves and give us some performances that are long overdue. 

We will beat County. Dundee are going to drop more points and give us a six pointer against them that we are going to win. Sitting here bitching about our demise before it's sealed is pointless. I'll be getting behind the team for the remainder. We may have had a nightmare of a season, but it can still end on a high, and then action be taken to improve for next season. 

• Agree 4

He had left Raif before our other former leader arrived after he took our budgets.

Wonder where he will play in our defence, or will lack of match fitness go against him?

I think this is a move towards next season in the Championship. Terms agreed for the month, if we stay up they can point to the genius move to pull MM back in, if not its prep for next season on reduced money of the Championship. They may be thinking experience of someone who knows club and both divisions, and someone who knows Richie inside out. Think our assistant manager will be gone soon, probably going to see him again at Starks Park next season, unless ofcourse they go down too. 

Can think of worse moves, but do think its a bit too late

Personally,I think it's a great appointment..well respected coach & good backup for RF. I've never been convinced by BR as assistant manager & MM is someone that RF knows well & worked with before. Wouldn't be suprised to see MM as assistant to RF next season, whatever happens, particularly if BR is out of contract end of this season. Also, MM will hopefully help tighten up the defence-would help if we didn't keep losing soft goals! Not a 'magic bullet' but a shrewd appointment.

Think we need to back the team just niw, as opposed to torchlight protests - although the concerns/complaints are legitimate ones..

He initially joined Motherwell as assistant manager to former coaching colleague Terry Butcher. Malpas became Motherwell manager in May 2006, following Butcher's departure to coach Sydney FC.[4] He left the club in June 2007 after one season in charge, having taken the team from a comfortable mid-table position to one that narrowly avoided relegation.[5] Malpas became caretaker manager of the Scotland under-21 team in August 2007, but missed out on the permanent position to Billy Stark.

In January 2008, Malpas became manager of Swindon Town after the takeover of the club by local businessman Andrew Fitton,[6] replacing former Dundee United team-mate Paul Sturrock. Malpas was sacked by chairman Andrew Fitton on 14 November 2008 after a poor run of results and shock exits in the FA Cup to Histon and in the Johnstone's Paint Trophy within a week. He joined Terry Butcher again as assistant, this time at SPL club Inverness Caledonian Thistle [In May 2009, Inverness were relegated from the Scottish Premier League]. In 2013, Malpas moved with Butcher to Hibernian, rejecting the chance to manage Inverness.[7] Butcher and Malpas both left Hibernian in June 2014, after the club had been relegated from the Scottish Premiership.[8]

HE IS NOT THE MAN TO SAVE US!!

• Agree 1

52 minutes ago, jingsmonty said:

Personally,I think it's a great appointment..well respected coach & good backup for RF. I've never been convinced by BR as assistant manager & MM is someone that RF knows well & worked with before. Wouldn't be suprised to see MM as assistant to RF next season, whatever happens, particularly if BR is out of contract end of this season. Also, MM will hopefully help tighten up the defence-would help if we didn't keep losing soft goals! Not a 'magic bullet' but a shrewd appointment.

Think we need to back the team just niw, as opposed to torchlight protests - although the concerns/complaints are legitimate ones..

I know what your saying, I would rather we put protests to one side but no point splitting the young and not so young at this stage of the season.

15 hours ago, DoofersDad said:

Significantly, the club statement does not say what role Malpas is going to have.  Foran says he is joining the coaching staff but you can be sure that he's not here just to do a bit of coaching.  What is needed is better decision making around who to play, where to play them and the game plan.  If Malpas is coming in to assist in that, I'd love to know what the dynamics will be between him, Foran and Rice.  There would seem to be scope for a bit of confusion and a lot of tension I would have thought.  I'm with Dougal on this one.  A very odd appointment indeed.

Yes, I was thinking similar, DD. I'm not totally opposed to this appointment on the face of it, but the dynamics are going to be a mare. The Sun is allegedly indicating that this was an SOS from RF, which is interesting, but what role is he to have and how much of a kick in the teeth is this for Rice? Under TB, Malpas took all the coaching sessions, while Butcher chose the team and tactics. What we desperately need now is somebody to advise on team and tactics....Malpas might well have the knowledge to do that, but will Foran really take the advice?

Who knows, it might work, but it does seem to be a sticking plaster for a leg break!

• Agree 1

It'd be interesting to know who's appointment this was.  I remember a press conference a few months back, Foran was asked if he would like an older head at the club to help him and he was quite clear that he would not.  Has Foran since changed his mind, or has the board made the choice for him.

1 minute ago, Renegade said:

It'd be interesting to know who's appointment this was.  I remember a press conference a few months back, Foran was asked if he would like an older head at the club to help him and he was quite clear that he would not.  Has Foran since changed his mind, or has the board made the choice for him.

Foran will do as he's told , that's why he got the job in the first place imho .

• Agree 1

3 hours ago, PerfICT said:

what role is he to have and how much of a kick in the teeth is this for Rice?

What we desperately need now is somebody to advise on team and tactics....Malpas might well have the knowledge to do that, but will Foran really take the advice?

Two very important questions there, as speculation about next season's dugout lineup must surely intensify even futher.

What does this say about Foran and Rice? Is Malpas taking over the coaching or the Management role, he has a pretty poor record in both. I see it as an admission by the board that the current management team isn't up to the job but they have to be seen by the supporters as doing something as cheaply as possible. Perhaps they are trying to embarrass Foran and Rice into resigning, fat chance. If I were a player I would be totally bewildered, who am I going to listen to? I cannot recall such a situation at any other club and as a previous poster suggests it looks like the club are locked into the 4 year deal irrespective of results.

• Agree 2