Maurice Malpas

Kingsmills

Certainly a confusing appointment although the confusion is of the Board's making. However, the appointment has been made and it is pointless to speculate or criticise on the appointment until we see if it succeeds or not. If it does, then the appointment will have been worth it so it would be prudent for some of the more excitable posters to calm down. If it doesn't work, then by all means then let rip.

We've seen a straw floating by and are hanging on to it for grim life. If it is a straw and not a brick. I am sure there is more to this than is being let on, but we will only find out in the summer. Three in a bed can't last, but who will be the one to leave? Could be any one of the three monkeys. 

Edited by The Long Man

23 minutes ago, The Long Man said:

We've seen a straw floating by and are hanging on to it for grim life. If it is a straw and not a brick. I am sure there is more to this than is being let on, but we will only find out in the summer. Three in a bed can't last, but who will be the one to leave? Could be any one of the three monkeys. 

Or all 3 !

Who knows the reasons, perhaps with Rice being out of contract in the summer he may be offski and perhaps MM has always been earmarked by RF as his assistant so was going to be coming in anyway. I'm not exactly a fan of RF as manager, the rest of the management team and their contribution or even the board and their handling of this - my posts indicate as much but being pragmatic we need to improve and clearly the management we have cant get our defence organised so perhaps bringing in a 3rd party with experience and knowledge of the players may work - at this stage we have little to loose, not like we can fall any further.

• Agree 2

14 hours ago, bdu98196 said:

Who knows the reasons, perhaps with Rice being out of contract in the summer he may be offski and perhaps MM has always been earmarked by RF as his assistant so was going to be coming in anyway. I'm not exactly a fan of RF as manager, the rest of the management team and their contribution or even the board and their handling of this - my posts indicate as much but being pragmatic we need to improve and clearly the management we have cant get our defence organised so perhaps bringing in a 3rd party with experience and knowledge of the players may work - at this stage we have little to loose, not like we can fall any further.

My thoughts too - it's not that I dislike RF as manager, I just don't think he has the experience (he has said as much himself, I think) & MM might just be that experienced hand that RF needs, given that they know each other well & it's obvious that RF has a lot of time & respect for MM. Think RF/MM could be a decent management team next season, whatever happens (will take a minor miracle if we are a premier league team, but there is still hope..not much, but it's there...)!

If BR only has a contract until end of this season, think I would just pay him remainder of his wages & let him look after his garden for next few weeks...

• Agree 2

6 hours ago, jingsmonty said:

My thoughts too - it's not that I dislike RF as manager, I just don't think he has the experience (he has said as much himself, I think) & MM might just be that experienced hand that RF needs, given that they know each other well & it's obvious that RF has a lot of time & respect for MM. Think RF/MM could be a decent management team next season, whatever happens (will take a minor miracle if we are a premier league team, but there is still hope..not much, but it's there...)!

If BR only has a contract until end of this season, think I would just pay him remainder of his wages & let him look after his garden for next few weeks...

Brian Rice is contracted to summer 2018. 

This mess was created by the board in my view. I sincerely hope this appointment works out well for ICT but I feel it's too little too late. Time will tell of course but we haven't got much of that left. Action should have been taken months ago. Five games left and eight points from safety is a tall order for an out of sorts team. Can be done of course but I can't see it happening to be honest. Lose in Dingwall and we can start booking trips to Dumbarton. 

• Agree 1

I'm surprised people are mentioning what Malpas got up to before and after ICT, without concentrating on what he did here.

Why hasn't Malpas been in management for two years? Because of the disaster of Hibs. How did he get the Hibs job? Because of the success he had at ICT.

Someone else brought up the relegation event, without mentioning ICT were promoted and leaving when we were (IIRC) second top and in the semi-final of a cup.

Malpas was a roaring success at ICT. It's a great idea to get him back and see if that can be replicated. Malpas sat in the Inverness dugout when Butcher was with the Hibs Chair in the stand. Yes, he left, but he did so with dignity, unlike the manager at the time.

Yes, it's very late - maybe too late - but it's a good idea. And I'd be happy to see Mo stay, even with relegation.

As for Brian Rice...it's an open secret that he and Foran don't gel. No surprise, given Rice is a tipp-tappy Hughes assistant, whilst Foran is from the kick-and-rush school of Butcher'n'Malpas. It was always a marriage of convenience.

• Agree 11

40 minutes ago, starchief said:

I'm surprised people are mentioning what Malpas got up to before and after ICT, without concentrating on what he did here.

Why hasn't Malpas been in management for two years? Because of the disaster of Hibs. How did he get the Hibs job? Because of the success he had at ICT.

Someone else brought up the relegation event, without mentioning ICT were promoted and leaving when we were (IIRC) second top and in the semi-final of a cup.

Malpas was a roaring success at ICT. It's a great idea to get him back and see if that can be replicated. Malpas sat in the Inverness dugout when Butcher was with the Hibs Chair in the stand. Yes, he left, but he did so with dignity, unlike the manager at the time.

Yes, it's very late - maybe too late - but it's a good idea. And I'd be happy to see Mo stay, even with relegation.

As for Brian Rice...it's an open secret that he and Foran don't gel. No surprise, given Rice is a tipp-tappy Hughes assistant, whilst Foran is from the kick-and-rush school of Butcher'n'Malpas. It was always a marriage of convenience.

If that were the case Foran should have had the balls to tell his chair that he didn't want him by his side compo or not!

• Agree 1

21 hours ago, Caman said:

Brian Rice is contracted to summer 2018. 

Is he? Hope not! Think if the board need to bite the bullet & pay BR off then - unless Yogi takes him to Raith Rovers (which would have happened by now, I suppose, if it was on the cards). Time for RF to assert himself & tell the board if he wants MM to be his assistant!

28 minutes ago, tm4tj said:

Thanks Brian.

Sorry but I am being serious. Am I really the only one who is giving this poor guy any support?  Waken up  and smell whatever - it is the effin manager who has fekin destroyed us.

Edited by caleyboy
  • Agree 2

6 hours ago, caleyboy said:

If that were the case Foran should have had the balls to tell his chair that he didn't want him by his side compo or not!

Who said he didn't? Either Foran takes a strop, quits (as he has absolutely no hand over the board), fails to get the job he is desperate for, leaves football to be a delivery driver a la Duncan Shearer and looks on as Paul Sheerin or someone takes charge with Foran thinking 'I should have taken my chance'! Or he takes the job and shuts up.

Those are the only choices. And Foran has a depth of belief in himself only outdone by Roy Keane. Misplaced or not.

It's not the first time the latter has happened. Brewster and Park were not on speaking terms either and muddled through undermining each other (although Brew could claim the high ground - he was the one supposed to make decisions) as Park still had a contract to fulfil.

It's not Rice's fault that he was taken on to play a completely different type of football for another manager. The chances of him being snapped up by another club are doubtful, in the short-term at least. I'm not surprised he stayed. But the Board should have recognised it's not working and taken even a temporary solution much earlier.

• Agree 3

13 hours ago, starchief said:

Who said he didn't? Either Foran takes a strop, quits (as he has absolutely no hand over the board), fails to get the job he is desperate for, leaves football to be a delivery driver a la Duncan Shearer and looks on as Paul Sheerin or someone takes charge with Foran thinking 'I should have taken my chance'! Or he takes the job and shuts up.

Those are the only choices. And Foran has a depth of belief in himself only outdone by Roy Keane. Misplaced or not.

It's not the first time the latter has happened. Brewster and Park were not on speaking terms either and muddled through undermining each other (although Brew could claim the high ground - he was the one supposed to make decisions) as Park still had a contract to fulfil.

It's not Rice's fault that he was taken on to play a completely different type of football for another manager. The chances of him being snapped up by another club are doubtful, in the short-term at least. I'm not surprised he stayed. But the Board should have recognised it's not working and taken even a temporary solution much earlier.

Correct, "it's not Brian Rice's fault......." so let's leave it at that

1 hour ago, Hiro said:

Anyone else find it bizarre that Malpas wasn't in the dressing room at half time?

Maybe he had seen enough and caught the half eight train back to the sneck!!!!