County v ICT

Guzz

The day before a derby game and we have five posts about the game mostly whether or not we can watch it on TV. Looks like folk on here are as excited as I am for this game on Friday :laugh: 

With Tremarco out injured and Warren (still?) suspended the defence needs to be rejigged again. We'll end up with three CBs again I'd imagine (probably Laing, McCart and Mckay) with McNaughton and Raven as full backs. If we do this I'd like to see a midfield three of Polworth, Tansey and Draper with Fisher and Mckay up front. There's little creativity or pace in that side but sadly this seems to be Forans favoured approach to games right now.

I fear you are right RiG. My preference would be to go with:

Fon Williams

Raven Laing McCart McNaughton

Draper Tansey

Mulraney Polworth King

McKay

.....with the option of subbing any of the midfield 5 not performing with Fisher and going 4-4-2.

• Agree 2

Wouldn't be upset to see that line up TBH. I was wondering about possibly playing Fisher wide left and the reason for that is we used to do that with Foran  when Mckay played up front. Foran was there for the long diagonal ball which he would often win and knock down to Mckay. Maybe Fisher could work playing there?

I got back from holiday last Saturday and saw the post split fixture list for the first time (having had little or no internet whilst away).  I was gutted to see that our first match is against County tomorrow, knowing that I have a long term commitment tomorrow night and won't even be able to catch the match live on TV.  My only hope is to record it and hope that no kind sole gives me any match updates whilst the game is on.  My phone will be off I assure you!

As to the match itself, I can't ever remember feeling so apprehensive in the pre match build up to any other important match in our history.  Nothing has happened  this season either on the park, or in particular from a management point of view that gives me any optimism whatsoever that we can get a result.

I suspect many of us feel the same if the noticeable absence of pre match posts on this forum is anything to go by.

I can only hope I'm wrong and that we can produce a few miracles over the next 5 games.  Good luck to the team anyway. I'm sure for me, and I hope for most of us, that ICT is 'in our blood' and that we will support them loyaly whether in the dizzy heights near the top of the Premier league or even down in the lower leagues.

While we are now at the crunch time and every game is key, in some ways if we even get a point then its a good result - I think staying up will depend on getting home wins in both games against Hamilton & Motherwell and beating Dundee at Dens, obviously the more points outwith that we get the better but County will probably be our hardest game.

I'd also question whether OFW has the confidence or is deserving of being in goal, while he has been inconsistent all season with mistakes, I think they are becoming more frequent and that doesn't help an already unstable defence. Lacking any young, hungry keeper on the bench, then does Esson come into the team or do we just stay with OFW and hope for the best.

Fisher needs to start, with McKay just off him - he's our 'form' striker having scored a brace in the last game, Billy isn't on a great run of form but if fit needs to start.

I expect Vigurs to start if fit along with Tansey & Draper in a central midfield 3, no pace or creativity but I think the influence of MM will be that we have to defend and have a tight unit. Wont be a shock if we go to 'park the bus' - clean sheet, get a point and if we can nick a goal somewhere.

Fon Williams

Raven Laing Mckay McCart McNaughton

Vigurs Draper Tansey

Fisher         McKay

• Agree 1

BBC website:

Inverness Caledonian Thistle manager Richie Foran: "At the moment, Ross County are out of the relegation battle in terms of finishing bottom because they have an eight-point advantage over us, but by the end of the game, they might be right back in it and we've got to make sure that happens.

"Jim McIntyre has done a fantastic job over there.

"They are a real attacking threat. They have a lot of players who can score goals. They are a dangerous outfit going forward, as are we.

"It will be a big night for both teams. We need to take the ball under pressure and we have players to do that, like Iain Vigurs and Greg Tansey and Iain Polworth."

So, it looks like Vigurs and Polworth will start. It'll be interesting to see Iain Polworth play again...! Sorry guys, but Vigurs has not delivered in the vast majority of the games that he has played in this season. for me, the heart of the midfield has been a mess all season and Vigurs has been a major contributor to that, mainly due to a lack of tracking back and do the hard graft. He also has a tendency to give away needless free kicks - and we know how strong Fon williams has been in that area of the game. I keep hoping that he proves me wrong (and to be fair, he started quite well in the game that he got injured in) - maybe this one will be it.

• Agree 2

Well I've been saying before every game since the start of the year ' This is a must win game'    But tomorrow night is the decider!   I'll be there ( getting comps) so we win and it's game on, we loose it's bye bye, a draw is useless.

So come on ICT lets beat the gudgies. 

Don't think I've been at a game since that awful night in Hamilton but hey ho, it's the Derby so here I come. Get the malt dusted off Caley100, you must have got something decent for your big birthday :whistle:

There's never been a time in our history when our fans have been so subdued and pessimistic. Even in our (previous) relegation season we always maintained hope and belief, right into injury time of the final game, justified by the team's passion and ability to get results. 

However, a win v County could restore our long lost optimism. Come on ICT, give us something to believe in.

• Agree 5

18 minutes ago, Yngwie said:

There's never been a time in our history when our fans have been so subdued and pessimistic. Even in our (previous) relegation season we always maintained hope and belief, right into injury time of the final game, justified by the team's passion and ability to get results. 

However, a win v County could restore our long lost optimism. Come on ICT, give us something to believe in.

I agree. Let's be positive, get behind the boys and be hopeful of three points!!!  Come on Caley Jags!!

2 hours ago, DALNEIGHCALEY said:

If we don't sell out our allocation for what is arguably our biggest ever game then we don't deserve top flight football .

Not quite made it to 4pm as we've sold out the tickets provided....more WILL be available from Ross County tomorrow.

• Agree 2