FORAN OUT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

CaleyMax

1 hour ago, Caman said:

I thought Foran's contract was a 12 month rolling contract for 4 years.

They must have built in some performance related aspect should it (and it has) not work?

I thought that would have been something included but if it had been then I would have thought they would have actioned any option to end it by now.

1 hour ago, cif73 said:

I really don't understand this having to pay out the remainder of manager contracts. Would love to know the employment law position. In any other walk of life, complete ineptitude is not rewarded by paying off the said employee for x number of years while they sit back with pipe and slippers and someone new has to pick up the pieces.  

If the club can't afford a pay off then maybe there is another role until the contract runs out...just NOT coaching

...and the benefits of a change in manager just being proved at Dundee. Change the manager and get the chance of a "bounce" at least for a couple of games. Oh, no, not at ICT - we know better and will go for the ha'penny option of bringing in another assistant on a handshake: that'll work. The good news is that we've been put out of our misery quickly. Nothing worse than lingering hope.

• Agree 1

5 minutes ago, rebelwithoutaclue said:

If the club can't afford a pay off then maybe there is another role until the contract runs out...just NOT coaching

Kit man or ball boy 

A change of manager seems to be working for Dundee so far today. Just to rub salt in our wounds Ross, Vincent and Williams all seem to be playing their part. That's us pretty well fooked now!

• Agree 1

Think he will be given until Christmas to get the team performing, and I think the cut off will be if we are no where near the play-offs minimum.

Dundee winning 2-0 at Well just now so I think our fate is certain, as if there were any doubts really. They probably cant afford to get rid of him. cheaper to punt Brian Rice and get Mo assisting. Board tend to give our managers a better crack of the whip than many others would, and I think they will be very unwilling to push Richie, with this status as player and ex captain, and his spoken love of the club. Not trying to imply it would have changed things, but we have had no lucky breaks this season, piles of injuries to important players etc. Also our cup winning turn coat taking the budget certainly didnt help ( who appears to be taking Raif Rovers down into the play offs )

I do think the board might give Richie a bit of time with Malpas, since they gave him such a bad hand to play with in the first place. I have to say though, Malpas on his own as Manager would likely turn out just as poor.

Our chance in the Championship will also be enhanced / reduced by who comes down with us!!

• Agree 1

There is absolutely no evidence that Foran would have any greater clue next season, and would you allow him to sign players who may well turn out to be mince, who we are then stuck with? At any rate he would be gone by November. The only logical thing to do is have a clearout and a fresh start after some serious thinking and a genuine strategy with input from some actual football people. A clean slate with a new face in charge. Then we go into next season with hope. Otherwise it is more torture and only a delay of the inevitable. Put him and us out of our misery now. Making a mistake is one thing, prolonging it needlessly and compounding your error is another altogether. We have to have a bit more bottle.

Edited by The Long Man
  • Agree 1

The problem with the club predates Foran's appointment by a number of years. Since Butcher left, we have been entirely incapable of replacing the class of players that have left. We should have let Hughes go speak to Dundee United and should have sold Tansey rather than letting him go for free. We should have probably held on to Billy McKay while he was in form, rather than letting our top goal scorer leave for a (in football terms at least) tiny fee. 

At a club of our size, that can not go on cup runs season after season, we really need to be making smart decisions regarding turning over players. Why are we so incapable of scouting? Football is a business and we really need to be buying cheaper players and selling them on later giving the club some form of income to re-invest in young talent. 

Yes, I agree that now is the time for Foran to leave on his own accord, as I can't see the club being in any position to release him of his duties, but the board really need to answer for the years of neglect in the business side of things. We've had some fantastic players over the years go on free transfers. Why not (when a players contract is running out) speak to the player and ask where they want to be next year, and if they are hesitant in any way shape or form about staying with Caley, offer to put them up for transfer in January? 

A large portion of our best players came from the lower leagues in England where the transfer fees are arguably less than the average in the SPFL (maybe not by much, sometimes). Ryan Christie's sale could have brought in a whole bunch of  players to rotate the squad, or maybe one or two players with a bit of class that could have been sold in a season or two. 

• Agree 2

5 minutes ago, TheCommissioner said:

We should have let Hughes go speak to Dundee United and should have sold Tansey rather than letting him go for free. 

I'm astonished at the number of fans saying this recently. We were all delighted when those potential moves were knocked back, we are all sick of our biggest assets being pinched on the cheap by rival clubs. We'd all have been raging if we'd lost those 2 at those times.

• Agree 6

Marsella always got a lot of credit, but remember Butcher and occasionally Hughes used to use that agency down south to recruit players (ProEvolution?)?  Whatever happened to that?  Certainly don't seem to be using it now going by the amount of SPFL journeymen we've signed this year.

24 minutes ago, Yngwie said:

I'm astonished at the number of fans saying this recently. We were all delighted when those potential moves were knocked back, we are all sick of our biggest assets being pinched on the cheap by rival clubs. We'd all have been raging if we'd lost those 2 at those times.

This...

so many people forget that they wouldn't have wanted back however long ago something they now suddenly wish for.

getting pretty annoyed at a load of the guff people are harping on about. What if this and he should have been sold then. Either not happy then if it had happened but supposedly not happy now because it didn't happen. 

Need to get back to now and the future and try and back whatever that brings.

2 hours ago, PerthICT said:

This...

so many people forget that they wouldn't have wanted back however long ago something they now suddenly wish for.

getting pretty annoyed at a load of the guff people are harping on about. What if this and he should have been sold then. Either not happy then if it had happened but supposedly not happy now because it didn't happen. 

Need to get back to now and the future and try and back whatever that brings.

Sorry guys, but I said at the end of the season and again in November (below) that we should have sold Tansey when there was money available, because he would go for free. I was glad he stayed after Aberdeen's approach in Jan last year, but the writing was on the wall from that moment and we should have cashed in. I wasn't alone.

On 19/11/2016 at 10:17 AM, PerfICT said:

Interesting thread! Certainly, Tansey's not been very consistent over the past 12 months: Crisis in confidence? Eyes elsewhere? Asked to play a different role? Who knows? I said at the time that we might have been better taking the cash from Aberdeen when offered, rather than risking losing him for free, which almost certainly happen at the end of this season. I agree with the comment above about Polworth - IHE's suggestion of Tansey for Storey + cash in Jan is a cracker!

• Agree 1

The sad and frustrating thing is that many of us saw this coming and have been calling for him to be replaced for months.

Here are a couple of quotes of my own taken from posts on 28 January and 1 February  ......

1  "He doesn't look the part, sound the part, or act the part of someone who knows what they are doing.  I fear the worst, and can only hope that I am wrong."

2  "Give another management team the chance to rebuild , get the squad sorted out, and get them playing with some passion.  I fear saving us from the drop would now need a miracle, and the new management primary role should be aimed at preparing us for Championship football."

If we humble fans could see the problem back then, or even before then, I find it beyond belief that those running the club could choose to ignore the issue until it is too late to save us. Are they just naive, pig-headed or incompetent?   Whatever the answer, we fans deserve better.

• Agree 3

15 hours ago, Yngwie said:

Apart from the 12 months compensation that we'd have to pay!

At this present moment, 12 months compensation feels absolutely like a price worth paying for the long term benefit of the club. 

• Agree 2

6 minutes ago, Pele_Is_God said:

I've got a feeling Terry and Mo will be the management team for next season. Can we forget whats happened in the past?

Forget no.

Forgive - well, if they can stabilise the team, recruit better players and improve performances it would be in the best interests and long term good of the club. Butcher's ego would have to be kept in control. Maybe he/they could groom a coach for the future. Like Liverpool style boot room of old. As long as 'Foran the Failure' is not in the mix. 

The way Terry and Mo left us shouldn't be forgotten, there wasn't an ounce of dignity in the way they acted. I'm not saying people returning to their old jobs is a bad thing (in fact it can be a great boost!), but they completely sh@t on us and I dislike that. The fact Mo is back doesn't sit well with me.

• Agree 2
  • Disagree 1

Aside from a couple of seasons with us, Butcher (and Malpas) have failed in management.  You're supposed to go forget in life and not backwards.  If/when Foran goes, get someone completely new in with new ideas and new contacts (a foreign manager would actually be my preference).

What was wrong with the way Mo left? He came in as assistant to Butcher. When Butcher was under contract and sitting in the stand beside the Hibs chairman, Mo was in the Inverness dugout doing his best to get a win against Hibs. He then left without any fuss to the same position at Hibs. I see nothing wrong with that.

I'd have no problem with Charlie as manager as I thought he did pretty well first time around. However, I'd be even happier with him as Director of Football charged with complete control over the restructuring of the club.

I wouldn't like to see him back but I certainly wouldn't say Butcher failed at Motherwell. A dodgy start but soon on to winning ways. I also think he did pretty well at Coventry - a club selling all its' best players, signing almost no-one but still being kept in the (then) First Division. He was sacked as another cost-cutting measure as they could get rid of both a player and a manager salary in one stroke.

If it had been Xmas, I would have suggested someone like Jim Duffy but there's no way he would come now. I'd still go for Paul Hartley, who was terrific for most of his time at Dundee. Yep, it ended badly but so has Arsene Wenger. You've got to realise ICT's limits and what a manager could bring, even if he's not not perfect.

But then, when you consider the appointments...

• Butcher: fans not happy
  • Hughes: fans not happy
  • Foran: fans happy

Not absolutely sure we should be allowed to choose :wink:

• Agree 2