Charlie for manager?

dougiedanger

What exactly is his role at the club nowadays?

Would he be better as a 'Director of Football' with oversight as opposed to being the manager? 

i assume he wouldn't go back as manager but he could play a great role as the DoF or something similar, responsible for the football side of things within the club, including having a large say in appointments and strategy. No-one else on the board seems to have the slightest idea of football, or any relevant experience. I would have a lot more faith in Charlie than anybody else, especially when it comes to rebuilding the club, appointing a new manager and getting new players in. Foran out, Christie in.

• Agree 2

Don't think this is a good shout. A legendary player, but insufficient managerial credentials. His only previous experience in management ended in failure. Don't forget he left us bottom of the league below Gretna! Poor signings, Highland League tactics and cringe-worthy post-match interviews. Sound familiar? We need to learn from our mistakes. Wouldn't begrudge him a role as an interim figure, but not a long term solution.  

Nobody should be earmarked for the role. Advertise it openly - far and wide, and give it to the best candidate who applies. Common sense. Why settle for someone local?

Edited by AlexJones
  • Agree 2

1 hour ago, AlexJones said:

insufficient managerial credentials

As I recall, he won every post-split bottom-6 fixture 1-0 during his tenure. We'd've settled for that this year. And he left after a bad start to the season, but at a time when we did always start poorly.

I don't think he's a shout for manager anyway, but I do wonder why, if he's still at the club, he's not being listened to.

Can we talk a bit about the structure of decision making? 

I.e. Bottom level is;

Manager

then;

??

then;

??

we need to understand who makes the decisions and who is in charge of the money. Please can everyone contribute to the club structure for decision making? 

The stakeholders have to be; manager, share holders, chairman, commercial manager, board members. 

Lets talk about who makes money flow where and why. 

4 hours ago, AlexJones said:

Don't think this is a good shout. A legendary player, but insufficient managerial credentials. His only previous experience in management ended in failure. Don't forget he left us bottom of the league below Gretna!

As they say on Wikipedia "Citation Required". I am really baffled by Alex' statement.

• Agree 3
  • Disagree 1

I would have much preferred watching 11 U21 Squad players giving their all than (mainly) the journeymen we dredge from down south.  

I really liked Charlie's vision for the future and his outlook for the club. 7th-10th in the SPL on a regular basis with solid cup runs and occasional forays into the top six would be a sustainable model provided we have a throughput of home grown, value added talent. It's easier to love local lads which connects the club to the city.

He is absolutely spot on in saying that when you import up to 28 players at some point your luck will run out because you have scouted duds. 

• Agree 1

32 minutes ago, Northern_jaggie said:

I would have much preferred watching 11 U21 Squad players giving their all than (mainly) the journeymen we dredge from down south.

Totally agree.

Pretty disgusted at the lack of youth progression and security. Hopefully we can review and change our policies . So much more we should and can do for these kids on and off the park.

Apart from carrying the worries of his home town club I always felt Charlie suffered from the stress of the public scrutiny while we were bottom of the SPL (as was). I'm sure he'd do a more than decent job in the Championship.

• Agree 2

The problem is in the board who are a bunch of muppets! Kenny Cameron is David Sutherlands puppet! Until the board is  displaced the club is doomed! It's been on the cards for a long time relegation. It's not forans fault it's the board for 1 giving him a big contract when he was long term injury and then putting him in as manager to justify his wages . It's a MESS. 

• Agree 2

2 hours ago, Dobby said:

The problem is in the board who are a bunch of muppets! Kenny Cameron is David Sutherlands puppet! Until the board is  displaced the club is doomed! It's been on the cards for a long time relegation. It's not forans fault it's the board for 1 giving him a big contract when he was long term injury and then putting him in as manager to justify his wages . It's a MESS. 

Welcome to the forum Dobby, you are spot on in what you are saying :wink:

7 hours ago, TheMantis said:

Apart from carrying the worries of his home town club I always felt Charlie suffered from the stress of the public scrutiny while we were bottom of the SPL (as was). I'm sure he'd do a more than decent job in the Championship.

MrMantis I agree with you

Problem with Charlie is he could never cope with criticism either as a player or a manager and walking into this sort of situation, well the pressure and scrutiny he would be under would be intense and I doubt he could handle it

I personally don't think his outburst to the press is touting for the managers job but more with what's going on financially behind the scenes

Dougal

• Agree 3

Put CC in charge of recruitment and scouting, set up a network of scouts, I don't think he is after the managers job but he clearly knows a player when he sees one and apparently we don't have a scouting system. Various managers have been criticised for their recruitment policies but I feel in many cases we are signing players because they are available not because we scouted them.

I thought one of his best remarks the other night was when RF said he should have signed real men, battlers, CC made the point that RF wanted to sign players in his own image rather than footballers which should be the first priority. I recall Pele signed a midfielder from Brora sight unseen on a tip for £5,000 who turned out to be a decent footballer and played in the SPL