Tomorrow's Game

KennySim93

Judging by the twitter account it looks like it's going to be a bumper crowd tomorrow.  While this is fantastic, my question is why can't we do this on a more regular basis and not just for big games?  I'm not talking 6,000+ for every home game.  Even 4,000+ would be nice.  I don't necessarily buy the fact that it's because we need a win.  The team have been needing support for weeks, if not months, so why now?  Is it the threat of relegation?  If anything, I would have thought that would turn people off.  I know it's been talked about a lot on here and maybe I'm way off the mark, I'm just disappointed we can't get these sort of crowds week in, week out.

Well, it does prove that when there is a match with real significance, which will provide a lot of drama and tension, then people want to be there, and we do have a latent support much bigger than the average crowd. How to get that week in and out in the SPL is another question.

First, let's see what sort of a crowd we really get. There is a lot of interest and I'm makinf full use of the good deals available for ST holders and children under 16. But, there won't be many from Motherwell and I'd be surprised if we get 4000.

Your question, however, is a good one. I think it comes down to the meaning of the word "support". ICT's hard-core, through thick and thin, support is about 2k. Then there's the occasional supporter who can't be at every game, but goes when they can - these people are equally entitled to the term supporter. Then there's the fairly large band of armchair "followers", who might say they are fans if asked, but only go to big games (OF, cup finals and final day show-downs). They go for the drama and the glory, but don't invest as much emotion as true supporters. We'll get about 500 - 1000 of these tomorrow, mostly going on the freebees. They would also go to the play off, if we're lucky enough to make it. Converting this group into supporters that invest cash and emotion into the club is proving exceptionally difficult!

• Agree 1

This is good:

#ICTFC fans never stop amazing us. Number of Season Ticket holders refusing free tickets and paying for friends today has been remarkable.

and:

If you've not got tickets for tomorrow then you might want to get them soon...Main Stand practically sold out and North Stand filling fast..

I have had the feeling over the years that there are many ICT supporters who work abroad, down south and offshore. The cup final was a case in point, the two girls next to me had travelled from Toronto and Paris both born in Inverness clearly they wouldn't be regular attendees. I also feel the club has lost something from the days when you could stand on the terracing exchange banter with your fellow supporters, stand next to people you liked and didn't have officials telling you to sit down which I hate due to dodgy hips especially in winter. From a squad perspective we have also lost some of our Scottishness (if that's a word) if our national team is to improve we need more Scottish players playing in the league, I also think it creates more of a bond with the support especially with local boys, it still grieves me seeing Christie a Celtic employee playing well and scoring regularly for Aberdeen, he is the kind of star that can inspire and be a role model to young lads trying to succeed in the professional game, nowadays anyone showing any talent is gone far too quickly and the support is denied the pleasure of watching them play for our team, I find it infuriating. Money runs the game at all levels nowadays and we are pretty low in that pecking order. Speaking of money, the Chairman of StJ is on the radio just now apparently they charge £16 for an adult plus two under 12's seems pretty good.

• Agree 1

...er, hum. Speaking of fickle fans, I have a confession to make. It seems I was a bit hasty in the aftermath of the County debacle in saying I wouldn't be back this season. I will - today! Some fans are just so fickle!

Just down getting extra tickets - everywhere is almost full and plans are in place to start filling South stand too. Should be a packed hoose.

• Agree 5