Who should we keep, who should we punt?

SMEE

All these calls and post for players to stay and keep a big squad - where do the posters realistically think the money will come from? We now have an aged core team for the lower league? Far too many on here using their 'Championship Manager' experience thinking we can pay money to compete with top tier teams when we struggled being in that league.

A basic (small) squad is what we need with some experience, quality and then youth - actions need taken to free up wages

Esson, MacKay, Hoban - OFW can leave

Raven, Warren, Tremarco - deals to Brad & Laing plus youth - a high earner with injury problems like MacNaughton has to go and we all know Meekings is off

Vigurs, Polly, Mulraney, Horner - see who else we can get in as a left sided player is a must. Draper will leave unfortunately. Being honest I'd like to see Doran go too although as his level of return given his cost has been diminishing year on year. If we can get 1 or 2 midfield players then that will enough. The rest of the midfield this year has been dross and the departure of guys like Anier & Cole is a positive.

Upfront is the real issue, Fisher should be offered a deal, thouse who think we can afford Billy are deluded. We need a 20 goal a season striker if we want promotion and that has to be a focus. Options of guys like Rory Loy should be looked at IMO.

We need to trim excess costs, invest in youth and build not just to get up but also how we will structure to survive in the top league again and move forwards - otherwise we will blow our budget and spiral downwards.

• Agree 1

Very surprised to see the amount of folk wanting to keep Boden. Seems pretty horrendous to me.

Keeping Fisher is absolutely vital. Not only has he finished as our top scorer despite being frozen out of the team for 7 odd months, but he works harder than any other player on the park. That sounds like a critisism of other players but it absolutely isn't, it just shows how much of a work ethic Fisher has. Great asset to the team and great with the fans.

• Agree 4

On ‎20‎/‎05‎/‎2017 at 5:12 PM, Caley Mad In Berks said:

I'd be very surprised if the likes of Draper and Fisher are still with us in the Championship. Some of the 'old stagers' like Warren, Esson, Raven may stick around for another season, as, to be honest, their Premiership days are probably behind them now.  It is rebuild time for ICT, starting immediately, I sincerely hope, with a new manager.

I would like us to try our very best to hold onto Fisher. When given his chance, he demonstrated that he can perform and score in the Premiership. He looks to me like the sort of robust forward who could be very effective indeed at Championship level.

• Agree 2

The problem is that ICT has no bargaining position to encourage players to stay. What the club would like to do and what it will be able to do are 2 very different things. right at this moment, I would imagine that all the players will be reading the small print in their contracts. Those on loan (King, Billy Mckay), with futures secured elsewhere (Tansey) or having not signed contracts (Meekings) offered will be gone. Most of the ones on short-term deals  (MacNaughton, Cole, Fisher, Brad Mckay) or able to leave for free (Horner) will also likely be gone, although some efforts need to be made in Fisher's case.

That leaves a core of players who are contracted, but who might have release clauses around relegation. some will certainly wish to trigger those (Fon Williams) and some will be waiting to see what happens. I can't imagine anybody who could leave would want to stay under such a poor manager. Draper, Warren, Doran, Tremarco, Raven, Polworth, Vigurs, Boden, Mulraney all fall into this boat. Even some of those who did want to stay might be invited to cancel contracts, due to lack of cash. This is why it is so urgent to remove Foran immediately. At least then approaches could be made to these players with reassurances that the club was changing direction and was under safe management (if such a thing exists). Without immediate action, the armageddon scenario of a complete exodus is a real possibility and then we really are screwed.

• Agree 2

On 5/21/2017 at 0:03 PM, Moogthurso said:

Draper to st johnstone to replace danny swanson and play european football.

HOPE Fisher will stay if given a chance as we have kept faith with him but cant blame him if he gets a better offer. 

Jason brown at centre back along with warren and one other for cover.  Tremarco for lm not lb especially in championship.  Get a youngster in at lb who plays as full back not wing back. 

Rb is up for debate but raven could do a job. I think meekings will be lucky to get a contract anywhere with his record so may stay? 

Lets blood the youngsters..

Mackay/hoben

Raven/mackay warren  brown youngster

Vigurs  polworth

Mulreany                   tremarco

Ali Sutherland ....Fisher 

Bench  boden ebbe mcnaughton?

Lots to try and recruit. . . 

Shane sutherland would be able to step up now. . . .

Hang on, promote Ali Sutherland to the first team?! He left the club in January!

Edited by Renegade

Quote from Alex Fisher -  

“If I am part of the plans then I would like to get involved. I’m not sure when we will have that chat as I don’t know what is going on regarding the board and positions so I guess I have to wait for that to settle down before they start looking at players for next year.

“That conversation may be a few days away.”

Looks like Fisher may be keen to stay on. Would suggest that he is one of our maim priorities for retaining next season.

• Agree 3

15 minutes ago, Red White and Blue said:

Quote from Alex Fisher -  

“If I am part of the plans then I would like to get involved. I’m not sure when we will have that chat as I don’t know what is going on regarding the board and positions so I guess I have to wait for that to settle down before they start looking at players for next year.

Looks like Fisher may be keen to stay on. Would suggest that he is one of our maim priorities for retaining next season.

That is great news that he's not already on his bike. A few issues need sorted before we can get excited about this, though.

• Agree 1

1 hour ago, Red White and Blue said:

Quote from Alex Fisher -  

First time my spirit has been lifted since Saturday !! A wee ray of hope :-) :-)

• Agree 1

OMG, how difficult is this current scenario and what can actually be done to sort it?  It's not going to be a quick fix I don't think.

I don't fancy Mr.  Cameron's position as Board Chairman but he's stuck with it now because, if he resigns, many people might allege that he is a quitter in the club's hour of need. And who, pray, would replace him at this stage?

I am glad that, finally, Fisher's hard work and play is being recognised. If your bike is parked Mr. Fisher then walk up the stairs to the Boardroom ,. knock on Mr. Cameron's door and make HIM an offer, pronto. If they hum and haw for days or weeks then the ball must surely be in your court ?

Cole and Mulraney are tricky players but how many times do they fall over themselves and their nods and becks and wreathed smiles ( credits to Shakespeare) turn into nothing-ness. This season they seem to have promised much and delivered very little. On the left side of the park one bamboozles the opposition for yards and ends up losing the ball whereas, on the right side, the other can't cross a ball into the box  for absolute toffee after maybe getting into a good  position to do so. And when Cole went ape recently he did not do himself or the club any favours;  so give the man a ticket back to England because now costs must be cut one way or the other..............?

And it's no use looking South to David Moyes as a potential manager because, in addition to other things, such as the elementary fact that he would consider ICT as beneath him, he must be mentally and emotionally shattered at this point in his continuously retreating career which has basically now really fallen apart at the seams. Poor guy! Stability at Everton for years followed by an unprecedented downward spiral that never seemed to stop must have shattered his self-confidence and made him a definitely risky hire.

I wonder now if even John Hughes would consider a comeback knowing that the club's finances  must be low. If he is low in his mind, as well, maybe he might consider another shot? At least at this point we may be able to get him at a  much lower price and for a longer period of time 'cos Johnnie is not getting any younger, either, like Mr. Pimple.:crazy: He still has the passion for success. And a strong hand on the tiller and on the players may just be what the Doctor ordered for our beloved team...Eh?

Hey! I'm a believer that life is very short and letting bygones be bygones is often a very good strategy for showing an understanding that mistakes  are mistakes and we all learn from that don't we and become closer too?  Chentlemen of the Chury--I've been quite depressed since last Saturday and I think that it's time to move on,  if for no other practical reason than the fact that we don't have too many better options do we?

Just a thought or two from Beautiful British Columbia where, finally, the sun is shining and the birdies are twittering in the trees.

Back to the lawn mower then...

I would love a full clear out of both playing squad and management team. 

Realistically the only ones I would keep from this squad would be Alex Fisher and Brad Mckay. 

28 minutes ago, ICTRoughi said:

I would love a full clear out of both playing squad and management team. 

Realistically the only ones I would keep from this squad would be Alex Fisher and Brad Mckay. 

That is very harsh. Many in our current squad are more than good enough for the Championship and, better managed, coached and motivated, are very capable of challenging for promotion next season.

Agree with those who want Fisher to stay. Has done well recently and would do better a league down.

We need somehow 1) To start discovering more Shinnies, Christies and Polworths coming through the system and 2) To have a manager who can look at all the players being released just now from SPL sides who might just be rejuvenated at TCS and rejuvenate them 3) Spot players in the HL and Juniors who are improving and ready to step up.

Should be, er, nae bother.

• Agree 3

Wonder if any of the three (possibly five) Ross County players released are potential recruits?

Paul Quinn probably the best of the bunch as he is a decent enough defender. 

Edited by Guest

10 hours ago, Caman said:

Wonder if any of the three (possibly five) Ross County players released are potential recruits?

losing our best players year on year to Aberdeen, whilst picking up County cast-offs....that's definitely going to sit well with fans.

• Agree 2

1 hour ago, ictfcsince94 said:

losing our best players year on year to Aberdeen, whilst picking up County cast-offs....that's definitely going to sit well with fans.

We are where we are and we have to accept that.

I didn't mean all of them, but we are in the Championship and Premiership 'cast offs' are probably our level at present. 

Edited by Guest

11 hours ago, Caman said:

Paul Quinn is definetly worth considering, didn't realise RC had released him. Decent player who would probably still be a Don if not for family reasons-wouldn't have the usual issue of 'attracting players to move up to Inverness' & as for 'County cast offs'? Afraid we will be playing at a lower level than the mob from the other side of the bridge now, like it or not!

Hugely encouraged by that quote from Fisher - I would love him to stay but wouldn't blame him if he didn't. Wouldn't give up on Draper either..again, who would blame him if he left?

Believe Vigurs has stated previously he would stay if we went down (recent Caleyjags tv pre match interview), if previous comment about Tremarco staying is true, that's great news too - a combatitive hard working plater willing to make tackles would be vital for the Championship.

Have hopes that Ebbe may be decent at this level-always a big ask stepping up from part time football. Mulraney worth keeping too-certainly playing in the Championship will toughen him up (although think he's better at riding tackles than before) & he's not the finished article-if he can learn to pass/cross,he'd be deadly!

As for Boden...well!!!  Who knows,may not be a dud!

Would keep McNaughton if we can, although wages may be an issue-great experience but worth breaking the bank for?

Pretty much agree with the rest of the comments re who we keep/punt

7 minutes ago, Caman said:

We are where we are and we have to accept that.

I didn't mean all of them, but we are in the Championship and Premiership 'cast offs' are probably our level at present. 

Nothing wrong with 'premiership cast-offs' - my take on that would be players who are hungry & have a point to prove. Dennis Wyness a good example of a 'premiership cast-off (Aberdeen), he worked out not too bad! 

Need to get the Managerial situation sorted out asap though, to get on with building a squad!! Have a feeling RF may still be involved at some level...but that's on a different thread!

13 minutes ago, jingsmonty said:

Why not?

He's expensive, has injury issues and above all I don't think he's very good. The value he has returned this year is poor at best and I'd rather see us try to sign the likes of Laing & Brad who are younger and more to offer than someone at the wrong end of their career who cant garuntee playing every week. We need to use the chance in the lower league to blood and establish younger players who can step back up into the Premiership - with the likes of Raven, Tremarco, Esson & Warren we have plenty backline experience and not much youthfulness or pace.

Based on our position and finances no player is worth breaking the bank for. Did it once before with a certain Romanian and it didn't really work out that well then.

Edited by bdu98196

18 minutes ago, bdu98196 said:

He's expensive, has injury issues and above all I don't think he's very good. The value he has returned this year is poor at best and I'd rather see us try to sign the likes of Laing & Brad who are younger and more to offer than someone at the wrong end of their career who cant garuntee playing every week. We need to use the chance in the lower league to blood and establish younger players who can step back up into the Premiership - with the likes of Raven, Tremarco, Esson & Warren we have plenty backline experience and not much youthfulness or pace.

Based on our position and finances no player is worth breaking the bank for. Did it once before with a certain Romanian and it didn't really work out that well then.

Fair enough, I can see where you're coming from. I just think that McNaughton has good experience & was unlucky to get the injury that he did. Have a feeling he isn't with us for the money & age-wise,he is hardly older than Warren.

Brad McKay is under contract anyway (I think)-definetly worth keeping & would agree that signing Laing is a priority. 

Think we won't be signing mcnaughton, anyway, would have laing instead-would like to have both, but given we have Tremarce (hopefully),mckay,laing(hopefully too),warren & raven-there probably isn't room or funds for kev-personally, I like him & think he is a class act but feel he'll probably sign for a premiership club.

Also, we made a good bit of cash out of our certain romanian (apart from the subsequent legal issues, which the club won anyway)-did have the surreal situation of seeing an ict player playing at Euro 2008! 

Managed to sell my romanian euro 2008 top (with appropriate name/no. on back) on ebay for a good price too..!

May have been the RF tactics but Brad McKay gets caught out of position too often so I'd let go. Laing with an old head beside him looks a good prospect. Boden has looked useless so I'd ship him too.

31 minutes ago, ICT_Away said:

May have been the RF tactics but Brad McKay gets caught out of position too often so I'd let go. Laing with an old head beside him looks a good prospect. Boden has looked useless so I'd ship him too.

Brad is a hard working player,would argue that he has been asked to drive up the wing (less so since MM returned), would definetly keep