Who should we keep, who should we punt?

SMEE

I'd be very surprised if the likes of Draper and Fisher are still with us in the Championship. Some of the 'old stagers' like Warren, Esson, Raven may stick around for another season, as, to be honest, their Premiership days are probably behind them now.  It is rebuild time for ICT, starting immediately, I sincerely hope, with a new manager.

• Agree 2

A question to those of you who have been 'lucky' enough to witness the past few performances - does the nucleus of this squad have the quality and fight to get us back up from what will be a very competitive league? It will be a tough fight next season so anyone who doesn't have big enough gonads for the fray should be ditched. It's a question Foran or A.N.Other will have to pose against each squad member.

We certainly have the players to launch a credible challenge next year, but we do not have the manager. Equally, as mentioned above, there will be a stack of losses on financial grounds, not to mention those not wanting to play under a clown. I would invite Fon Williams out to save a wage - get Deano back. What to do about Doran? Allegedly on the top wage and crocked. Offer him a cut in wages for a year to see if he recovers or punt through mutual consent? I'd try the former...could work for both parties.

So, I'd try to keep the following of contracted players:

Tremarco, Warren, Raven

Vigurs, Polworth, Mulraney, Doran

Boden is unproven, would prefer to keep Fisher, but think he'll be gone. So, we certainly have the core of a competitive team....for now. We might have nobody in 2 weeks (except Foran). Quick decisions have to be made.

• Disagree 1

Change the manager on Monday and start rebuilding now.

No waiting till pre season lets get started we must know the budget and what are limations  are financially .

Hopefully we can build a squad and not rely on complete duffers on loan like Billy King and Cole , who have contributed nothing .

Cammy 

Tremarco, Warren, McKay Raven

Mulraney Vigurs, Polworth,Doran

Boden Ebbe

with the exception of Doran's wage being a stumbling block, I don't see much wrong with this line up as a potential place to start.

Brad Mckay's level may well be suited to the Championship, but if his wage demand aren't met, and he can secure alternative employment who could blame him for moving on.

would love big drapes to stay, but suspect he'll be on the a96 bus as well?

• Disagree 1

Is Meeking's contracted for next season? He's one the best CB's in the prem in my opinion. Would be a huge asset if we kept him.

As a starting XI I'd like to see:

Cammy Mackay

New RB    Meekings    Warren    Tremarco

Doran     Draper    Polwarth    New RM

Fisher    Boden 

Edited by lightwelter

20 minutes ago, ictfcsince94 said:

Cammy 

Tremarco, Warren, McKay Raven

Mulraney Vigurs, Polworth,Doran

Boden Ebbe

with the exception of Doran's wage being a stumbling block, I don't see much wrong with this line up as a potential place to start.

Brad Mckay's level may well be suited to the Championship, but if his wage demand aren't met, and he can secure alternative employment who could blame him for moving on.

would love big drapes to stay, but suspect he'll be on the a96 bus as well?

Sorry mate, being lazy and borrowing your list. Also, I think some like Fon Williams can walk for nothing now we are relegated, and I wouldn't be surprised if likes of Draper has that in his contract. I agree with most of your comments above except,

Mulraney - For me he is lazy, doesn't track back and is keen to get fouled as opposed to taking on and passing defenders. He hasn't scored all season and couldn't score in a brothel. (bin him)

Cole - I hope he is already at Dalcross Airport heading south. Waste of time bringing him here. He wasn't interested. (I have my green bin lid open for him)

Fisher - He is missing from above. He floats between being clumsy and scoring great goals. More game time would probably improve his all round performance. (Keep).

Meekings - Also missing. I suspect he will go, but he is injury prone and will not be as hot a property as he could have been. 'Pay per play' contract? 

Doran - As above, although under contract until next summer (I think)

Polworth -He is a huffy little so and so who behaves like a spoilt brat. He needs to grow up. He is a good player who we would look to step up and take Tansey's position and make it his own. He could be a future captain but not if he continues acting like 'Kevin the Teenager'

Had enough typing for now. Just realised how far away Dumfries is, cheeso!!!!

Edited by Guest

3 minutes ago, Yngwie said:

No. He decided to move on early in the season.

Meekings - Did he actually confirm he would go. I hope he stays, but as I have said elsewhere he is very injury prone and an expensive person to have 'on the sick' more than 'on the pitch'. 

Edited by Guest

2 minutes ago, Caman said:

Meekings - Did he actually confirm he would go. I hope he stays, but as I have said elsewhere he is very injury prone and an expensive person to have 'on the sick' more than 'on the pitch'. 

Nothing confirmed either way, but I always suspected he was waiting to see what happened.  He will expect to play in the Premier next season. I wonder if Rangers will come calling....

8 minutes ago, Caman said:

Sorry mate, being lazy and borrowing your list. Also, I think some like Fon Williams can walk for nothing now we are relegated, and I wouldn't be surprised if likes of Draper has that in his contract. I agree with most of your comments above except,

Mulraney - For me he is lazy, doesn't track back and is keen to get fouled as opposed to taking on and passing defenders. He hasn't scored all season and couldn't score in a brothel. (bin him)

Cole - I hope he is already at Dalcross Airport heading south. Waste of time bringing him here. He wasn't interested. (I have my green bin lid open for him)

Fisher - He is missing from above. He floats between being clumsy and scoring great goals. More game time would probably improve his all round performance. (Keep).

Meekings - Also missing. I suspect he will go, but he is injury prone and will not be as hot a property as he could have been. 'Pay per play' contract? 

Doran - As above, although under contract until next summer (I think)

Polworth -He is a huffy little so and so who behaves like a spoilt brat. He needs to grow up. He is a good player who we would look to step up and take Tansey's position and make it his own. He could be a future captain but not if he continues acting like 'Kevin the Teenager'

Had enough typing for now. Just realised how far away Dumfries is, cheeso!!!!

Would love Fisher to stay, but reckon he could be playing for our opponents today.....

Fonners and Draper etc will have release clauses I'm sure. I just wonder how many will opt to stay for the reduced wages just because they like it here, and maybe will want to atone for their mistakes. 

A lot of decisions will be outwith our hands thanks to players being out of contract, on the other hand I guess tough decisions will need to be made to balance the books. For me -

Gk - if Cammy Mackay up to it, go for it.  MUST ensure back up though.  

Def - realistically, with the exception of Meekings who I assume will go, I think we've got a chance of keeping the rest as I think either a) they are dedicated to club or b) this is right level/alternative offers might not be forthcoming.  Would like to think mainly the former.  Would retain Horner thanks to flexibility which is invaluable in small squad.

Mid - If we kept Draper then that would be the biggest coup ever.  Can't see it happening.  Would love to see Polworth step up but he might think it's time to leave hometown club; similarly would like to see Vigurs stay but will he want to?  Could be time for major restructure which is not necessarily a bad thing.  Happy for Doran and Mulraney to stay IF affordable.  

Forwards - goes without saying I'd want Billy to stay but never happening, I guess.  Would keep Fisher for sure, no issue with holding onto Boden.  No insult to the player at all, but us fans still need to see why Ebbe was signed!  

With the exception of (possibly) McCart and (definitely) Billy, no wish to keep any of the loan players.

NEW MANAGER GOES WITHOUT SAYING

41 minutes ago, Ronaldo said:

A priority for next year is a good solid goalie

We need a solid defence for next season.

When not obsessing about the Old Firm, a favourite fact on Sportsound is that we were shipping on average 2 goals a game. Given how difficult we found it to score for large parts of the season, that was never going to end well. 

As someone said before its going to be down to finance rather than choice on who we can keep. So all our loan players will go back to their clubs so they can be counted out.

Billy McKay is out of contract at Wigan, there is little chance we could sign him with the wages we would offer new players. Fisher and Ebbe will be looking for new clubs, Boden has one more year left but has failed to impact at all, he will likely be released. Fisher has scored a few goals for us in recent weeks but I'm taking a guess he was one of the rotten apples Foran was talking about so he will be gone. Anier is also unlikely to remain.

Our midfield will be broken up I've heard about Polworth having an attitude problem so he could be a shock release. Draper could be too expensive to keep. Tansey is on his way to Aberdeen. King is Tannadice bound. Is it worth holding on to Aaron Doran who has now spent almost an entire second season out injured? he is contracted until the end of next season and would be a real asset if he can get himself fit again. The question would be is he the same player after spending so long out?. Mulraney has not been consistent enough and I've not been impressed so far. He is contracted until the end of next season he could stay but is he one of the problem players and is he good enough, I don't think so. Vigurs will stay, I'd keep him despite his performances in the first half of the season. I don't know about Jason Brown.

Warren, Tremarco and Raven are staying unless they decide otherwise. Brad McKay has one more year, I think he will stay. As for the other defenders the ones who are out of contract Horner could be useful in different positions, but does he want to only be at the club to provide cover for others? Laing appears to have made himself a regular in the absence of Josh Meekings could stay if Meekings moves on.

And what about our keepers? Fon Williams to move on to protect his place on the Wales bench? Against popular opinion I would prefer to keep him and if Ryan Esson retires promote Cammy McKay to 2nd. However its probably likely we will be looking to replace all three.

That's quite a clear out and our Championship team could be barely recognisable from this season with only Warren, Laing, Tremarco, Brad McKay, Raven, Vigurs and Doran remaining.