Thank You Kenny

Fraz

I see that Kenny Cameron has announced he's stepping down as Chairman.

Personally I'd like to thank Kenny for his years of service and helping to give me some of the best football memories I have. 

I've met Kenny on many occasions and he was always a genuine guy who had time to chat and I've never doubted that he had the best interests of the club as heart. 

All the best in your retirement. 

• Agree 25
  • Disagree 1

4 minutes ago, Fraz said:

I see that Kenny Cameron has announced he's stepping down as Chairman.

Personally I'd like to thank Kenny for his years of service and helping to give me some of the best football memories I have. 

I've met Kenny on many occasions and he was always a genuine guy who had time to chat and I've never doubted that he had the best interests of the club as heart. 

All the best in your retirement. 

Can't disagree with any of that.  Pity he didn't sack Foran weeks ago and then perhaps he wouldn't have needed to go himself.

Thanks due without doubt but a mixed bag. He steered the ship well and steadily in calm waters taking us to some exotic and exciting shores. Not such a good captain though once the seas got choppy and the first mate mutinied. when he promoted the cabin boy to first mate who then steered us onto the rocks.

Nevertheless, I hope he enjoys his retirement I am sure he is as disappointed as any of us to be leaving at such a low ebb and on such a negative note after so many highs under his leadership. However, now the next captain can get on with repairing  the hole in the hull and we can embark on the next leg of our glorious journey.

Edited by Kingsmills
  • Agree 5
  • Disagree 1

I would also like to thank Kenny for all his hard work and for all the great memories over last few years. 

Ive had some great chats and was grateful for his help and support on several occasions. 

As Fraz says hope he enjoys his retirement  

• Agree 4
  • Disagree 1

5 minutes ago, caleyboy said:

Yeh. Thanks for relegation under your watch. The sword has two edges.

There are plenty of other threads in which you can criticise him and the board......and have done so often enough. IMO it is rather ungracious to disagree with the sentiment of this particular one even if you feel that change at the top was needed.

• Agree 11

1 minute ago, Yngwie said:

There are plenty of other threads in which you can criticise him and the board......and have done so often enough. IMO it is rather ungracious to disagree with the sentiment of this particular one even if you feel that change at the top was needed.

Time for bed me thinks. I'm delighted the ball has started to roll.

• Disagree 1

Just now, Yngwie said:

Agreed! Seems classless tbh 

• Agree 4

12 hours ago, caleyboy said:

Yeh. Thanks for relegation under your watch. The sword has two edges.

Relegation...it happens, but we won the Scottish Cup under his watch, that doesn't happen often, I've watched Palace for 44years and never seen them win a proper cup (and may never see that), but I have seen them go into administration 3 times.

ICT also got their highest placed league finish, into Europe and also a league cup final...not bad for a small club that's not been around for long.

I'm sure he's sad to go with the club being relegated, but he can be proud of the record of the club under his stewardship

• Agree 8

It is my view that Kenny Cameron did a fine job at ICT and he has the club in his blood. It's a job I wouldn't relish. Trying to keep the club afloat in the face of increasing financial stress can't be easy. We could, of course, gone the other way and spent until the cows came home which would undoubtedly have ran up debts that would have seen the club ruined beyond repair. Yes, he could have taken action regarding our current plight as early as Yogi's departure and NOT appointed a rookie manager but were there any other realistic options available given the finances  If that was the case he'd have taken them wouldn't he?

Anyway, that's in the past now, we move on to next chapter, but I reflect and remember what he has done for this club.

I wish him a very happy and healthy retirement.

Edited by Gringo
  • Agree 8

I suppose that Kenny Cameron’s resignation had a ring of inevitability about it after we were finally relegated. It’s a sad way to end a Chairmanship that delivered a degree of success that might never be bettered. Scottish Cup winners, League Cup finalists, Championship winners and UEFA league qualifiers. That’s a hell of an achievement for what, in anyone’s definition, is a relative football backwater. That all of this was done on the back of a small support and an almost complete absence of financial backing makes it even more noteworthy. I’ve read a lot on here in the past couple of days that bears no resemblance to the man that I know. Uncaring? I’ve witnessed the pain when things have gone wrong. Uninvolved? I’ve seen the tears of utter pride and joy at Hampden. Uncommunicative? Time and again I’ve struggled to get a word in edgeways. There’s a tale of someone fetching up at the stadium looking for a “tour” and being shown around by “this old guy”. Time and again he’s chatted to our mascots, patiently explaining about why we couldn’t sign Messi – at least not this week. He didn’t take a salary. This is not a man who didn’t care.

As a former Chair of CJT, he helped us achieve things that we could never have done without his support. He was instrumental in getting funding to charter the trains that took our fans to the League Cup Final against Aberdeen. As far as I know, it’s not been repeated. Any initiative for pricing and ticketing, he always involved us. Sticking up for us against the League’s central belt bias? Every time. I know that Kenny was incredibly well regarded by others in the SPFL as someone who was both engaged and genuine and the club benefited from that influence. However, if things go wrong there are fewer more exposed positions to be in than a football Chairman or Manager and when change happens it’s usually sudden, unpredictable and pretty brutal. That’s where we are right now and why there’s been the amount of anger expressed here over the last few weeks and months. Mistakes have undoubtedly been made but now cool heads are required to identify a clear plan to take us back to the Premiership and this year – of all years – it’s achievable. There is no Rangers, Hibs or Hearts to mount a challenge against and the club will rise to the challenge with the support of all of us, including Kenny’s successor.

On a personal note, Kenny was a stranger to me when I first met him through the club. I now count him as a friend and I’m a happy boy that we shared experiences from Glasgow to Bucharest. Enjoy your retirement with Christine. You’ve earned it.

• Agree 24

Despite how it ended, we have a very great deal to be thankful to Kenny Cameron and, before him, David Sutherland for. Prior to those with Tulloch connections taking the helm, the previous regime under Doug McGillvray had almost run us into oblivion.

We were over two and a half million pounds in debt, the bank had pulled the plug and had it not been for our famous cup win at Parkhead and the money from the two subsequent TV games against the Dons we would have entered administration at the very best or, at worst, been liquidated.

Instead, under first Sutherland and then Kenny, we became a debt free established top tier club no strangers to national cup finals and still the only team north of Aberdeen to win the major cup tournament in the country. Yes, mistakes were made this season and probably last and, no doubt, with the benefit of hindsight, he would have done things differently but for that wonderful, unforgettable afternoon at Hampden alone he deserves our thanks and good wishes.

The immediate future might be a difficult one but were it not for David Sutherland and Kenny Cameron there might not have been  a future at all.

• Agree 14

4 hours ago, Kingsmills said:

Despite how it ended, we have a very great deal to be thankful to Kenny Cameron and, before him, David Sutherland for. Prior to those with Tulloch connections taking the helm, the previous regime under Doug McGillvray had almost run us into oblivion.

We were over two and a half million pounds in debt, the bank had pulled the plug and had it not been for our famous cup win at Parkhead and the money from the two subsequent TV games against the Dons we would have entered administration at the very best or, at worst, been liquidated.

Instead, under first Sutherland and then Kenny, we became a debt free established top tier club no strangers to national cup finals and still the only team north of Aberdeen to win the major cup tournament in the country. Yes, mistakes were made this season and probably last and, no doubt, with the benefit of hindsight, he would have done things differently but for that wonderful, unforgettable afternoon at Hampden alone he deserves our thanks and good wishes.

The immediate future might be a difficult one but were it not for David Sutherland and Kenny Cameron there might not have been  a future at all.

I fully agree with your comments about Kenny and David Sutherland but you're a tad unfair about Doug MacGilivray.  Without his immense determination and drive to get us up the leagues I very much doubt we would have got into the spl withing 10 years.  Yes the debt almost put us over the edge but remember that a sizeable chunk of the debt was down to the ridiculous and excessive Council planning requirements such as the road etc.

Edited by Kind of Blue
  • Agree 3

On 2017-5-22 at 11:14 PM, Kingsmills said:

Thanks due without doubt but a mixed bag. He steered the ship well and steadily in calm waters taking us to some exotic and exciting shores. Not such a good captain though once the seas got choppy and the first mate mutinied. when he promoted the cabin boy to first mate who then steered us onto the rocks.

Nevertheless, I hope he enjoys his retirement I am sure he is as disappointed as any of us to be leaving at such a low ebb and on such a negative note after so many highs under his leadership. However, now the next captain can get on with repairing  the hole in the hull and we can embark on the next leg of our glorious journey.

Yes, well said! I'd like to thank Kenny for a couple of glorious seasons - I'll take the 2 great days in Hampden in 2015 to the grave..! Also the 3rd place finish and European football.

Kenny has always struck me as a decent person & whilst there may have been a couple of wrong directions taken, well, hindsight is a great thing,eh!

Thank you Kenny, the past few years have been a blast & will never be taken away from us!!

• Agree 5

Wouldn't say a bad word against the man. Have a lot of respect for Kenny and what he did. Remember, promotion, top 6 finishes, semi final win down to 9 men, final of the national diddy cup at Parkhead, semi final win against old firm at Hampden, winners of first of our clubs major trophies, top 3 finish, European debut, selling of a home grown talent for half a million. Lets see how the new chairman fairs after 6 years.

I think he did a good job overall

• Agree 4
  • Disagree 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 5/23/2017 at 7:27 AM, davie said:

I suppose that Kenny Cameron’s resignation had a ring of inevitability about it after we were finally relegated. It’s a sad way to end a Chairmanship that delivered a degree of success that might never be bettered. Scottish Cup winners, League Cup finalists, Championship winners and UEFA league qualifiers. That’s a hell of an achievement for what, in anyone’s definition, is a relative football backwater. That all of this was done on the back of a small support and an almost complete absence of financial backing makes it even more noteworthy. I’ve read a lot on here in the past couple of days that bears no resemblance to the man that I know. Uncaring? I’ve witnessed the pain when things have gone wrong. Uninvolved? I’ve seen the tears of utter pride and joy at Hampden. Uncommunicative? Time and again I’ve struggled to get a word in edgeways. There’s a tale of someone fetching up at the stadium looking for a “tour” and being shown around by “this old guy”. Time and again he’s chatted to our mascots, patiently explaining about why we couldn’t sign Messi – at least not this week. He didn’t take a salary. This is not a man who didn’t care.

As a former Chair of CJT, he helped us achieve things that we could never have done without his support. He was instrumental in getting funding to charter the trains that took our fans to the League Cup Final against Aberdeen. As far as I know, it’s not been repeated. Any initiative for pricing and ticketing, he always involved us. Sticking up for us against the League’s central belt bias? Every time. I know that Kenny was incredibly well regarded by others in the SPFL as someone who was both engaged and genuine and the club benefited from that influence. However, if things go wrong there are fewer more exposed positions to be in than a football Chairman or Manager and when change happens it’s usually sudden, unpredictable and pretty brutal. That’s where we are right now and why there’s been the amount of anger expressed here over the last few weeks and months. Mistakes have undoubtedly been made but now cool heads are required to identify a clear plan to take us back to the Premiership and this year – of all years – it’s achievable. There is no Rangers, Hibs or Hearts to mount a challenge against and the club will rise to the challenge with the support of all of us, including Kenny’s successor.

On a personal note, Kenny was a stranger to me when I first met him through the club. I now count him as a friend and I’m a happy boy that we shared experiences from Glasgow to Bucharest. Enjoy your retirement with Christine. You’ve earned it.

Sorry for dredging this topic up again but as I have only just returned from our trip to Scotland and Norway I am playing catch-up with all the threads and various comments made ... and this was one thread I wanted to come back to and deliver my own comments. 

I actually find I dont have to type a huge amount as I echo each and every comment that Davie has made here. Kenny is a man of integrity who had a goal of making ICT better without breaking the bank or bankrupting the club. He put in long hours, mostly for little or no thanks, but at the end of the day he wasnt looking for the plaudits or the pats on the back, he was just looking for ICT to be successful and barring the last season where he put his faith in someone who we all wanted to be successful he has done so. His stewardship of the club has been excellent and the snide or ignorant comments made about him on a personal level by some who don't actually know him or the amount of work he does/did in the background are not only hurtful, but in my opinion close to defamatory.  I have witnessed him stand up for our supporters when stewards and police wanted to wade into the North stand because they were standing. I have witnessed him making time for the younger fans and kids. I have heard numerous stories of him being accessible to the fans to the point of sitting down with them for coffee in the stadium or as Davie mentioned, doing the stadium tour ! Heck, look at how he handled that young boy who applied for the manager's job ! Most would just bin the letter, not Kenny, he replied and spoke with the kid ... who will remember that moment I am sure. 

On my recent visit, I was both gobsmacked and incredibly proud that he asked if my own son would like to be one of the mascots on the last day of the season. My son - who I take to TFC games every once in a while -  came to Scotland saying his favourite players were Jozy Altidore and Sebastian Giovinco from Toronto FC ... he left Scotland with the top we bought last year all signed, a new one bought from the Errea trailer tucked in his luggage, and a couple of this year's squad pictures from the reception wall of his new favourite players ... David Raven and Jake Mulraney ! My boy was going to be an ICT fan anyway (if I could help it) but Kenny (and the players) made it a trip he will never forget. I have never seen a club like ICT where players, directors, and even the chairman are as accessible as they are at ICT and that ethos comes from the top down. 

Kenny - I applaud you for who you are and what you have done for ICT over two decades. As Davie says, enjoy your 'retirement', you deserve it.      

• Agree 8