Poll - Hamilton or Dundee Utd?

Yngwie

Which team do you want to LOSE the play-off?  

53 members have voted

1. 1. Which team do you want to LOSE the play-off?

• Hamilton
    • Dundee Utd

Tricky one.

I would rather we avoided the plastic pitch and played United next season, however for promotion next year, I would assume Hamilton will have to cut their cloth drastically and could potentially be the easier of the two to beat.

23 minutes ago, cif73 said:

Hamilton ... purely because I suspect they'd be less of a threat next season. 

Totally agree with that - less resources than Dundee Utd. Annoyed that we allowed ourselves to finish below a team like Hamilton this season, but hey ho..

Definitely Hamilton, I think relegation will hit them far harder financially than us and certainly more than DU. If we get rid of foran and rebuild properly I see no real threat in that league other than Falkirk 

Haven't heard that one, but it had already struck me that they will be hit hard by another season in that league with the parachute payment reducing and the fact that they made a loss of £1.6m in their last year in the Premiership, and still have a pretty hefty wage bill with the likes of Andreu.

Hoping Accies run riot. Sick and tired of hearing biased pundits like Willie Miller lamenting wee teams displacing the 'big teams' in the top league. The closed shop mindset. It's good for Scottish football having Sevco, Hibs, Hearts and Dundee Utd in the SPL don't you know? Heck, lets go the whole hog - just give them the 10 team Premier League they keep asking for already, and bring back the 10,000 seater stadium rule to boot.

Edited by AlexJones
  • Agree 2

In some ways it does not matter. We have to get ourselves sorted out or within 12 months we might be really in the doldrums. Throughout most of this year Richie kept talking about the top 6. So next season as Malpass has indicated to the Inverness Courier, we need to readjust quickly and work out how to make progress in the Championship. We should not set stupid targets and keep harping on about them..

With Rangers and Hibs back in the SPFL the competition will intensify in that league regardless of Hamilton staying up. Dundee United might offer a bigger threat next year if, as I suspect, they will win today. Simon Murray's presence will probably sway it for them. As we know to our cost, on penalties they have a very good keeper.  

If Hamilton prevail, we will have to wait and see the reaction from Dundee United. But let us not kid ourselves, there are some very good teams in the Championship with good managers.

1 hour ago, Yngwie said:

Every single one of them has a better manager than us.

Probably similar resources as well - we have punched well above our weight (until last season, obviously). 

Sure Falkirk in particular will relish the chance to lock horns with us, given the 2015 cup final.

Go Dundee Utd today! Lets get the last so called 'big club' out of the championship - think Hamilton may prevail though & go down next season. As I said before, hopefully we will be replacing them!

Accies, from the point of view of it being a shorter away trip for those of us based in the west.

Mind you, I watched that doc on BBC TalkFunny the other night about United's UEFA Cup run in 1987, beating Borussia Munchengladbach and Barcelona on their way to the final. Remember watching the Barcelona away leg live on telly. What a come-down for them to be trying to overcome Accies to get promotion.

I want United to lose for 3 reasons: first, it would be one in the eye for the establishment and pundits who want "normal service" to be resumed as soon as possible. Get rid of the "wee teams" and replace them with the "proper teams" who appear to be entitled to top flight football. Hits and Dundee United for ICT and Hamilton would be their dream come true.

2nd, I think United would struggle even more than us financially, if they stay down. They would, at best, have to bin their better players and at worst might have to accept 15 point deduction for administration. 

3rd, they play on grass.

• Agree 1

Quick rating of those games from a #CaleyAway perspective

Dundee United - meh. Done it loads of times previously. Will be good to get a pint with Bobby Mann again though.
Brechin - might not be the easiest to get to but probably a 'classic' away fixture. Should be fun.
Livingston - gads.
St Mirren - easy enough to get to but nothing special. Quite like their wee ground.
Falkirk - gads.
Queen of the South - ooft. Some journey even from the central belt. Fair play to any ICT fans coming from further afield.
Morton - Should be good. A relic of a ground but that's part of the charm I guess.
Dunfermline - meh. Not too far too travel I guess and some reasonable pubs nearby. Still not a classic away game.
Dumbarton - I thought for years that Dumbarton was between Edinburgh and Glasgow :laugh: Quite looking forward to going there*.

*But of course I'd rather we stayed up. As nice as it will be to go to some different grounds it's not worth the pain of relegation.

13 minutes ago, TheMantis said:

That's it all cut and dried then. Us, Yenitit, Brechin, Livi, Midden, Falkirk, QoS, Morton, Pars, Dumbarton. Wonder who they'll give us as a festive Derby. 

Knowing our luck it will be Palmerston!

45 minutes ago, TheMantis said:

That's it all cut and dried then. Us, Yenitit, Brechin, Livi, Midden, Falkirk, QoS, Morton, Pars, Dumbarton. Wonder who they'll give us as a festive Derby. 

Dundee utd, probably..would settle for Brechin as derby, can stay at my Sister in laws! At least we won't be playin on the plastic trampoline at new douglas park..