New Manager

Pele_Is_God

"We need to talk about Kevin"

Well why not? Kevin MacDonald's name comes up in connection with ICT vacancies more often than Tommy Ring appears in the Off The Ball Team Of The Week!

Do I think Kevin is a contender? Well not having listened in to my boardroom bugging device for some time, I haven't a clue and don't actually care until a name is confirmed. But ever since the post-Pele vacancy in 2002 when Grassa successfully wound up lots of people about this one, the ICT machine gun of random names will never have a full magazine until we "talk about Kevin".

• Agree 1
  • Disagree 1

New contender...Footy McFootface...

Not sure I want an experienced jobber, we've usually gone for younger, ambitious managers & it has, by & large, worked (apart from recently, of course).

Said before, but surely experience, whilst still important, is slightly less relevant now if we appint well with the GM/D of F post? A long in the tooth gaffer (such as Jim Duffy - who I think is a decent manager), would he want to work with a setup like that?

• Agree 1

38 minutes ago, jingsmonty said:

Not sure I want an experienced jobber, we've usually gone for younger, ambitious managers & it has, by & large, worked

Hmm, let's have a look at that.

Experienced jobbers - Butcher and Hughes

Younger managers - Foran, Christie, Brewster.

Pretty clear which category gave us our most successful era!

13 minutes ago, Yngwie said:

You appear to have conveniently left out John Robertson and Steve Paterson from your list and Brewster Mk1 was a success in that it established us as a Premiership side.   

I've always felt that some of our best appointments have been with young, ambitious hungry managers with no link to the club. John Robertson, Brewster,  Paterson all did well before moving on and earning the club significant compensation.  Charlie and Foran seemed the easy appointment and neither really seemed to want to be manager at that point.

If we were to go down the road of a young outsider again what about someone like Calum Davidson? I've noticed he's been added to the Scotland setup (not in itself an endorsement) but by all accounts he's a very significant part of what Tommy Wright does.

2 minutes ago, Hiro said:

You appear to have conveniently left out John Robertson and Steve Paterson from your list

I was looking at managers we've appointed since reaching the top flight. 

It may well be the case, though, that younger managers are more likely to flourish in the lower leagues where we are now, it's a more forgiving environment where you can make mistakes while you are learning and still have success.

Ian Murray was the hot Scottish manager when he kept Dumberton in the Championship and established them there as a part-time side.  He got a move to a bigger, full-time club in St Mirren and it was an absolute disaster, binned after 20 games.

Often successful managers have to pick their club as much as be picked.

Similar story with Tom Hendrie who did a great job with Alloa and Berwick and was carried shoulder high at our place after St Mirren's 5-0 drubbing after celebrating their league title all week. Only lasted half a season in the SPL.

3 hours ago, Yngwie said:

Brewster 1st time around was a success (mainly due to him playing, methinks) - if he hadn't been, we wouldn't have taken him back (wish we hadn't, to be fair).

We played good football under CC, who I liked as a manager - it wasn't lack of success that caused him to leave, just the pressures of the job.

You've also missed my point about how the new manager will relate to the general manager - an experienced jobber wouldn't be attracted to this setup, it is something that should have been done last season to support RF, but that's in the past now.

You also forgot about Robbo - his 1st manaferial job was with us & I think he was reasonably successful...!

3 hours ago, ictchris said:

Ian Murray was the hot Scottish manager when he kept Dumberton in the Championship and established them there as a part-time side.  He got a move to a bigger, full-time club in St Mirren and it was an absolute disaster, binned after 20 games.

Often successful managers have to pick their club as much as be picked.

It's a very hard one, think appointing a manager is hit or miss - Ian Murray is a great example. Makes me slightly wary about Darren Dods (although he's jyst signed a new 2yr deal with Brechin anyway).

NO to Butcher or ANY other previous manager (unless CC ends up doing it on a caretaker basis, just to get a team together for now until we appoint someone).

On 2017-5-30 at 11:32 AM, ictchris said:

Looking at win percentages across managers careers is not what Moneyball / analytics is about.  Looking at stats like that raw don't tell you a great deal - a manager operating on a low budget with a side punching above their weight in terms of which division they are in will likely have a lower win percentage than someone with loads of money who still performs below expectations.  A good example would be Stevie Aitken at Dumbarton - he's got a win percentage of 25% so he must be a dud right?  Wrong.  He's working with a part-time club in a division that not only has mostly full time teams but teams with some of the highest budgets in Scottish football.  He's done a remarkable job to keep them in that division and to get so many wins.  

Also, that doesn't mean that Stevie Aitken is going to be a great manager if he went to a bigger club.  Look at Ian Murray, his predecessor who had a fantastic record and was hailed as a solid appointment when he went to St Mirren.  He turned into a disaster.  Dick Campbell is one of the most successful lower league managers in decades in this country but I doubt any full-time team would look at him.

7 minutes ago, RiG said:

http://www.eveningtimes.co.uk/sport/spfl/15320523.Stevie_Aitken_focused_on_Dumbarton_amid_Inverness_link/

Can't imagine there is much in this? I'd be surprised if we were able to pay compensation to get someone in.

No idea where they get these rumours from.  Highly placed secretive sources IMO.

• Agree 3

2 hours ago, RiG said:

^^^ perfect example of how easy it is to get anything into the papers as a rumour.

Chris has failed to get Sergio Markarian linked in the press despite 10 years of trying.

I think Stevie Aitken's a good shout, mainly because he looks like Spud from Trainspotting.

• Agree 1

27 minutes ago, Caley Stan said:

Chris has failed to get Sergio Markarian linked in the press despite 10 years of trying.

I think Stevie Aitken's a good shout, mainly because he looks like Spud from Trainspotting.

Think Sheerin is the favourite so far...

• Disagree 1

On 2017-5-30 at 6:25 PM, Yngwie said:

Aye right......

Looking for a job as manager was the official reason given. Do you have proof otherwise or is it just hearsay? 

On 2017-5-30 at 6:42 PM, Renegade said:

The same Latapy who apparently had a habit of going AWOL and when he did turn up was allegedly extremely lazy.  Amazing how some fans still cling onto this myth that he was some kind of coaching guru.

"Apparently"

He was at the club during our most successful period. Ever. Was he that bad. 

Anyway it was just a suggestion. 

• Disagree 1

27 minutes ago, iamthecaptain1 said:

Looking for a job as manager was the official reason given. Do you have proof otherwise or is it just hearsay? 

"Apparently"

I've spoken to people at the club who've confirmed this.  He seldom turned up.  His influence on the team was next to nothing.  One person even told me that in terms of paperwork and that type of thing, Brian Rice did more in his first day than Latapy in the entire previous season.  The leaving for a new job stuff was a smokescreen - he was sacked.  I really wish some fans would drop this completely unwarranted heralding of him.  A coaching guru he was anything but.

Edited by Renegade
  • Agree 2

5 minutes ago, Ten4 said:

Neil McCann is the NEW manager !  Of Dundee. Confusing eh ?  Hope we don't have same ideas

Wow, 2 publicly announced attempts by Dundee to get Jack Ross with St Mirren rejecting both now a sudden U-turn back to McCann after only 3 days. Even he must see that he's the runner up prize here or the cheap option.

1 hour ago, bdu98196 said:

Wow, 2 publicly announced attempts by Dundee to get Jack Ross with St Mirren rejecting both now a sudden U-turn back to McCann after only 3 days. Even he must see that he's the runner up prize here or the cheap option.

Maybe he'll be back at Sky by the end of August!!:crazy:

Edited by Guest

9 minutes ago, dougal said:

Well it won't be Malpas as he confirmed off the record that he will not be at the club in any capacity next season and that comes from a very reliable source

Dougal

Good.

• Agree 1

4 hours ago, Caley Stan said:

It's been all downhill for Chris since CountyAir.

• Agree 6

Have just been reading online that Brian Rice is managing things as he is the most senior coach left at the club & has been dealing with the players leaving/being offered contracts.

So Brian Rice is, in effect, caretaker manager.

Make of that what you will...

15 hours ago, iamthecaptain1 said:

"Apparently"

Anyway it was just a suggestion. 

I always assumed he had a fall out with Yogi & this was a face saving way of leaving - but, given his history as a player, I could believe that Latapy didn't pull his weight!

He was some player though (not that that is relevant, mind).

• Scotty unfeatured and unpinned this topic