New Manager

Pele_Is_God

I recollect Billy Davies being linked with St Mirren a while back and saying something along the lines of him being willing to talk to any club who wants him at any level.  While he may be willing to talk, it doesn't mean he has much interest in taking the job up.  He's always had a reputation as a bit of a weirdo as I recall and I'm sure hearing somewhere one player (who's name I forget) saying he was the worst person he'd ever met.  These allegations of being at the very least, a bit odd, do follow him around.

Was he also not the unnamed friend Tommy Sheridan went to Manchester with?

56 minutes ago, Renegade said:

I recollect Billy Davies being linked with St Mirren a while back and saying something along the lines of him being willing to talk to any club who wants him at any level.  While he may be willing to talk, it doesn't mean he has much interest in taking the job up.  He's always had a reputation as a bit of a weirdo as I recall and I'm sure hearing somewhere one player (who's name I forget) saying he was the worst person he'd ever met.  These allegations of being at the very least, a bit odd, do follow him around.

Was he also not the unnamed friend Tommy Sheridan went to Manchester with?

That's an image I have stuck in my mind now...

Very uninspiring choices, although I had forgotten all about Colin Calderwood - I can remember him as a decent Scottish International, but haven't a clue on his managerial experience - was he at Hibs a while ago?

Hopefully that won't be the only interviews - take it this is for the managers job & not the general manager/D of F job?

Colin Calderwood did a terrible job at Hibs if I remember right. I did hear yesterday though that Paul Sheerin is who the club are really after but he's on holiday just now I think. 

Wonder if John Hartson might be the surprise choice. Nearly got the County job last time. 

Edited by Renegade

14 minutes ago, Renegade said:

Colin Calderwood did a terrible job at Hibs if I remember right. I did hear yesterday though that Paul Sheerin is who the club are really after but he's on holiday just now I think. 

Wonder if John Hartson might be the surprise choice. Nearly got the County job last time. 

There seems to be a certain inevitability about Sheerin being appointed - I wouldn't be disappointed with that. Interesting to see who he would appoint as assistant if he got the job - Barry Robson? Would be a turnaround from someone who I can't help thinking of as a teenager lots of skill & a big mouth :lol:!

Might be the appointment to bring the youth players on (those that are still there, mind).

Hartson would be interesting...

I see Calderwood is currently assistant manager of Aston Villa.  Would he really come up here when he has a job like that?  I wouldn't imagine so, even if we were still in the Premiership.

• Agree 1

30 minutes ago, Renegade said:

I see Calderwood is currently assistant manager of Aston Villa.  Would he really come up here when he has a job like that?  I wouldn't imagine so, even if we were still in the Premiership.

I wouldn't have thought so - unless he particularly wants to move back to Scotland?

8 minutes ago, Renegade said:

He's from Stranraer though. Hardly local to this area. 

True...you couldn't get much less local & still be in Scotland!

Thinking (and hoping..) that tbe tweet about the interviewees was just a rumour anyway

This will be the Jimmy Calderwood that took Dunfermline to their highest ever league position, a Scottish Cup final and European competition. The same Calderwood that took over an 11th place Aberdeen and made them a top three team (usually) and a success in Europe. Calderwood that took over a relegation threatened Ross County then not only got them safe but also won them the Challenge Cup.

He's perhaps too long out of it but I'd take any manager with that track record.

• Agree 1
  • Disagree 2

18 minutes ago, starchief said:

This will be the Jimmy Calderwood that took Dunfermline to their highest ever league position, a Scottish Cup final and European competition. The same Calderwood that took over an 11th place Aberdeen and made them a top three team (usually) and a success in Europe. Calderwood that took over a relegation threatened Ross County then not only got them safe but also won them the Challenge Cup.

He's perhaps too long out of it but I'd take any manager with that track record.

A bully and an absolute dinosaur who's techniques and attitudes are years out of date. Anyway, we couldn't afford to keep him in sun bed sessions. No thanks. We need to look forward not backwards and Calderwood would be a huge leap backwards and into the footballing past.

• Agree 5
  • Disagree 1

21 minutes ago, starchief said:

Why did County not retain his services then? 

Not for me thanks 

• Agree 2

2 minutes ago, starchief said:

If Mourinhou's so good, how come he gets sacked?

Biggest bullies? Alex Ferguson. Jocks' Stein and Wallace. Brian Clough. If it works, it works.

Craig Brewster always seemed nice. So what?

That sort of macho, intimidatory style of management did seem to work at one time, but even Ferguson acknowledges that it has had its day - and that can only be a good thing. 

The Calderwood case is different though - it's a matter of public record that he mocked, humiliated and then ostracised Ryan O'Leary when the player opened up to him about suffering from depression. That's an absolute abuse of his duty of care to his player. I would be very, very unhappy with him becoming our manager. 

• Agree 7

32 minutes ago, starchief said:

If Mourinhou's so good, how come he gets sacked?

Biggest bullies? Alex Ferguson. Jocks' Stein and Wallace. Brian Clough. If it works, it works.

Craig Brewster always seemed nice. So what?

Hes a bully and a dinosaur! No place for him in modern football or anywhere near our club. Apparently was MIA most of the time he worked OTB. Spent very little time in the Highlands at all  

Not for me sorry  

• Agree 2

Have to agree that Jimmy Calderwood's managerial record is pretty good. The invective levelled towards him on Scottish football forums is a classic example of group think. Once you've read one P and B thread, you've read them all...
"Old-school managers are 'dinosaurs', young 'progressive' coaches are terrific!" 
"There's no place for bullies in 'modern' football."
The lamentation of bullying is pretty ironic given that football fans routinely abuse players, managers and officials from the stands and on the internet. 

Most young men need structure, rules and discipline imposed on them by an authority figure to keep them on track. It's just a fact of life.  

• Agree 2
  • Disagree 5

1 minute ago, AlexJones said:

Have to agree that Jimmy Calderwood's managerial record is pretty good. The invective levelled towards him on Scottish football forums is a classic example of group think. Once you've read one P and B thread, you've read them all...
"Old-school managers are 'dinosaurs', young 'progressive' coaches are terrific!" 
"There's no place for bullies in 'modern' football."
The lamentation of bullying is pretty ironic given that football fans routinely abuse players, managers and officials from the stands and on the internet. 

Most young men need structure, rules and discipline imposed on them by an authority figure to keep them on track. It's just a fact of life.  

So you think ostricising a young player with depression is ok??? 

• Agree 1

Just now, AlexJones said:

One ex-player calls him a bully, we only hear one side of the story - and this somehow comes to define Jimmy Calderwoods entire career.

What are you his agent? These stories dont appear from nowhere! 

Im certain we wont appoint someone like him anyway 

• Agree 1

13 minutes ago, AlexJones said:

One ex-player calls him a bully, we only hear one side of the story - and this somehow comes to define Jimmy Calderwoods entire career.

One player, despite his own issues with depression made so much worse by the unsympathetic and mocking attitude of the person he should be able to turn to for support, is courageous enough to tell the truth and if that has helped put an end to a bullying manager's career then Scottish football is the better for it.

• Agree 3

• Scotty unfeatured and unpinned this topic