New Manager

Pele_Is_God

12 hours ago, Renegade said:

Just checked the club Twitter there.  Not a single mention of the League Cup draw, the order of the fixtures that were sorted out today or any of the friendly matches that've been arranged.  Bizarre.

Nothing about pushing the new strips or season tickets either. I know that the latter have caused some uproar but normally the club Twitter keeps publicising an event or important info every day or so. It's like everything at the club has just been put on hold just now. Really strange.

While I partially agree with comments about giving Sheerin or others similar a chance, my concern is that we don't get up first time of asking. Look at DUtd they had the 2nd biggest budget last year and went for a manager experienced in the Championship and backed him with cash, but have failed to win promotion and are quoted as getting heavily into debt. Fortunately they have a bigger fan base so will still have the biggest budget again this year but what if they fail again. ICT cannot afford more than 1 season in the Championship - we already have dropping attendances and sadly given that we never had a boost in fans when we were successful its not going to change now. The big fear is that failure to win promotion this season whether through lack of player or management investment may mean bigger budget cuts next year and moving forwards - its not inconceivable that in a few years we could be in a Dunfermline or Falkirk position where we are used to be a top team but now float about the Championship with too big a budget to get relegated and not enough to get out of the league.

I'm not suggesting we blow money we don't have on players or managers, but if we are constantly paying off staff due to bad appointments or signing crocked players in the hope they suddenly perform better in a more physical league its not going to help. If we do pay compensation for Sheerin - it has to be because the analysis shows he will get us promoted, if not use that money and go after someone experienced who may have a higher salary and incentivise with performance bonuses etc - such as Hartley. This is a huge decision for the club and if its not right we could be in for years of frustration and slowly falling backwards as a club. 

Edited by bdu98196

20 minutes ago, bdu98196 said:

While I partially agree with comments about giving Sheerin or others similar a chance, my concern is that we don't get up first time of asking. Look at DUtd they had the 2nd biggest budget last year and went for a manager experienced in the Championship and backed him with cash, but have failed to win promotion and are quoted as getting heavily into debt. Fortunately they have a bigger fan base so will still have the biggest budget again this year but what if they fail again. ICT cannot afford more than 1 season in the Championship - we already have dropping attendances and sadly given that we never had a boost in fans when we were successful its not going to change now. The big fear is that failure to win promotion this season whether through lack of player or management investment may mean bigger budget cuts next year and moving forwards - its not inconceivable that in a few years we could be in a Dunfermline or Falkirk position where we are used to be a top team but now float about the Championship with too big a budget to get relegated and not enough to get out of the league.

I'm not suggesting we blow money we don't have on players or managers, but if we are constantly paying off staff due to bad appointments or signing crocked players in the hope they suddenly perform better in a more physical league its not going to help. If we do pay compensation for Sheerin - it has to be because the analysis shows he will get us promoted, if not use that money and go after someone experienced who may have a higher salary and incentivise with performance bonuses etc - such as Hartley. This is a huge decision for the club and if its not right we could be in for years of frustration and slowly falling backwards as a club. 

Very well put and a sentiment that I would wholeheartedly agree with - we could easily end up floating about the Championship for years! Only up-side is that the so-called 'bigger' clubs are out (Hibs/Rangers,,etc), apart from Dundee utd - who will be feeling the pinch, no doubt.

Has to be a big push on to win the league next season (which is a BIG ask, I know), or at least finish 2nd - Dundee Utd demonstrated the precarious nature of the playoffs!

I'm hoping, that if the club are prepared to pay compensation for Sheerin, that they are convinced he is 'the man' and not 'the easiest/cheapest option'!

Dundee United have significant debts, we don't.

Also, the compensation for Sheerin won't be significant.  Recently Jack Ross was linked heavily with Dundee and it was widely reported that the compensation clause in his contract was £20,000.  I'd amazed if there was any sort of clause like that in a Development managers contract.  

4 minutes ago, Renegade said:

I'm increasingly feeling that it'll be a surprise appointment that hasn't even been mentioned yet. 

Not so sure Caley have been given permission to talk to Sheerin !!

56 minutes ago, izzy said:

The club got permission to speak to Hartley from Alloa.  Doesn't always mean they'll be appointed.

4 hours ago, jingsmonty said:

Yes, but sure the compensation for that wouldn't break the bank..

Exactly ... likely less than Sheerin.

Would we consider him if not ICT? I reckon yes because he has taken a very unfashionable club up to our division, it would be upward progression for him and he is defensively minded for our sieve-like defence.

• Agree 1
  • Disagree 1

2 hours ago, old caley girl said:

Agreed!

I certainly hope so some right dodgy managers getting plugged hope it's not sheerin have we sank that low we'd even consider a former Arbroath manager! Couldn't even win the development league! Has he contacts for players? Tactics? Style of football? Would rather not take another gamble! Personally I'd rather butcher back if he's come! 

• Agree 2
  • Disagree 3

25 minutes ago, Alan Simpson said:

have we sank that low we'd even consider a former Arbroath manager! 

A former Arbroath (co-)manager has been suggested before ....... Donald Park !!!

At the end of the day, it doesnt matter who someone has managed before IMHO, its what they do at ICT that matters. Some people 'fit' and others just dont. I have seen that at Toronto FC, where money is no object and the biggest failure was the vastly experienced Paul Mariner whereas the biggest success (so far) has been current coach Greg Vanney who most fans wanted sacked at the end of his first season. 

From all the names mentioned, I am still looking most favourably on Aitken. Not a fancy announcement or a big name, but seems to tick many boxes that would be required at ICT.  

53 minutes ago, Bronson said:

Heard that Jorg Albertz was interviewed by the club today 

A bit left of field.......that could maybe work. He certainly loved Scotland, and I have been told he has been up here in the past. But has he any management experience or just coaching

15 hours ago, izzy said:

27 minutes ago, DALNEIGHCALEY said:

We 

We definitely have .

Yes I'm well aware of this ... .If you look back at Renegades comment saying how it may be "a surprise appointment "and then read my reply it may clarify what I was meaning .Maybe a coma after "Not so sure " will help clear any confusion . Anyway this is irrelevant and what will be will be .Like everyone else I would just like to see some kind of decision soon Silence is normally golden but in this case it's painful !!

• Disagree 1

• Scotty unfeatured and unpinned this topic